Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Returning to MTG

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Returning to MTG
Purehate28
posted February 01, 2014 10:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So I haven't played magic in about 12 years. Sadly, about 2 years ago, I threw away all of my cards. Yes, DUMB mistake. A **** ton of cards from scourge and years before all the way down to portal.

Anyway, so over the last month I've dropped like $400 into a deck builders kit, crap tons of boosters (theros, M14, Dragonmaze, Gatecrash and a little bit of Ravnica), individual cards and other misc items.

I've been attending FNM on almost a weekly basis. But week after week, I'm getting absolutely rolled. The game has changed so much from the last time I've actively played, I almost can't even keep up. I dont remember any of the lingo, references and terms. So when people are talking to me, I feel lost. Just knodding and smiling.

Currently I'm running a black/blue mill deck. But coming up short every game.

Can anyone suggest any good sites or guides... ANYTHING for a guy like myself who is barely getting back into MTG so that way I can again preform on a competitive level?

Any advice will help guys. terminology guides, deck building guides. ANYTHING...

Sincerely,
A desperate old-timer (26 yrs old. Lol)

wjuseck
posted February 01, 2014 10:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wjuseck Click Here to Email wjuseck Send a private message to wjuseck Click to send wjuseck an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you watch the decklists on Starcity they post new winning lists almost each week. Should you simply copy one you will win more matches through sheer deck quality. It will up your confidence and let you learn more quickly.

Purehate28
posted February 01, 2014 11:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't completely understand what it means to watch the decklists on starcity. I've been on there and it just a gives me like a list and thing to select filters from. So idk of I'm in the wrong section....

wjuseck
posted February 01, 2014 11:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wjuseck Click Here to Email wjuseck Send a private message to wjuseck Click to send wjuseck an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://www.starcitygames.com/pages/decklists/

If you look at the decks in the left column, they are recent successful Standard deck lists. If you click the location of the tournament, you can see the top finishers and their entire lists.

jbark
posted February 01, 2014 12:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Mtgtop8.com has similar lists.

If you aren't playing a top deck or one that beats it unfortunately you won't do well. Mill in standard is just short so its not viable. Modern on the other hand it is. But modern can get very expensive.

kendawg13
posted February 01, 2014 02:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kendawg13 Click Here to Email kendawg13 Send a private message to kendawg13 Click to send kendawg13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kendawg13's Have/Want ListView kendawg13's Have/Want List
Well you're back at the right time...you missed Caw Blade and Delver (2 ridiculously good decks). Your issue with UB mill is that it doesn't have enough support and there are few cards that just ruin your game plan. There are just so many decks that can out race you and others that have way more control. Here a few sites to look up the most winning decks, its a good place to start so you can see what cards maybe you should include or prepare for at FNM. Mono Blue and Mono Black are the 2 top decks at the moment.

http://www.starcitygames.com/pages/decklists/

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search.asp

MeddlingMage
posted February 02, 2014 08:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
Use www.mtgpulse.com as well.

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

Purehate28
posted February 02, 2014 09:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Another lame question... Is there somewhere I can go to be fought up to speed on all the terminology that is used amongst the communinity? I find myself becoming very last in conversation with other players, both here, and at FNM.

flophaus
posted February 02, 2014 10:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
There was a large list that was created on here a while back... I looked for it but couldn't find it, if anyone else has a link that would be cool.... I'll look again though...

Purehate28
posted February 02, 2014 04:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:
There was a large list that was created on here a while back... I looked for it but couldn't find it, if anyone else has a link that would be cool.... I'll look again though...

Thanks bud. Yes, it would be really appreciated if anyone could post this list.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League