Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Born of the Gods Discussion Thread (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Born of the Gods Discussion Thread
MeddlingMage
posted December 18, 2013 05:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/born-of-the-gods-spoiler.html

Looks like the rest of the scry lands are in.

Springleaf Drum...

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

jbark
posted December 18, 2013 06:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Rest? Aren't there going to be 10? I see 5 ths and 3 here. And the drum doesn't make sense yet we shall see.

MeddlingMage
posted December 18, 2013 07:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
Rest? Aren't there going to be 10? I see 5 ths and 3 here. And the drum doesn't make sense yet we shall see.

By seeing the 3, I am assuming that the rest of the cycle is in. We just don't know what they are yet.

~MM

Pail42
posted December 18, 2013 07:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
They announced (in the scry land spoiler article iirc) that the whole cycle would be spread through the block. The actual order is still important though because, all other things being equal, it gives those color pairs an advantage.

chaos021
posted December 18, 2013 08:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
I hope they keep the awesome train rolling. In my opinion, Theros has been pretty solid for limited and constructed. Not a whole lot in terms of Modern/Eternal stuff though.

My Sale Thread

oneofchaos
posted December 18, 2013 08:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:
By seeing the 3, I am assuming that the rest of the cycle is in. We just don't know what they are yet.

~MM

I agree. 4/3/3 is fair, but 5/3/2 is saying those last two color pairs can go stick it where the sun don't shine.

hilikuS
posted December 19, 2013 06:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Usually the sets seem to come really fast, but I feel like Born of the Gods is taking forever.

mcelraca
posted December 19, 2013 10:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
I agree. 4/3/3 is fair, but 5/3/2 is saying those last two color pairs can go stick it where the sun don't shine.

Yeah really. I like my colors (b/g) and am sick of using guild gates!

As for the set, I'm excited. I can't wait to see what the multi colored gods will bring us!

MeddlingMage
posted December 19, 2013 05:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
Isn't this set be held back longer than usual or something?

~MM

Liq
posted December 19, 2013 08:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Liq Click Here to Email Liq Send a private message to Liq Click to send Liq an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Liq's Trade Auction or SaleView Liq's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Isn't this set be held back longer than usual or something?

~MM

It only feels that way since we got Theros far earlier than normal.

<BoltBait> Don't make me kick you
<Slinga> Have no fear, MOTL's janitor is here!
<nderdog> So we're all agreed, it's Liq's fault, right?
<Leshrac> let me deal with that
* Liq has been banned

Pail42
posted December 23, 2013 12:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
We all knew there were two-color gods from lots of the cards in Theros, but I was listening to Rosewater's podcast and he revealed they are doing the full cycle of all ten 2-color gods.

Considering the spoiler is for the the allied temple cycle to be completed this set I'm going to go ahead and speculate that Born of the Gods has the all the allied-color gods.

quote:
Originally posted by Liq:
It only feels that way since we got Theros far earlier than normal.

Theros is the earliest release, but it's only a few days early than normal. However; the release of Born of the Gods (Feb 7) is also the latest release of the second set since Nemesis (Feb 12). So you have two extremes pushing on both sides to make it feel longer than normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTG_sets#Expansion_sets

It's seems like starting with Shards of Alara they've been targeting the last week of September/first week of October for the first set, and first week of February for the second set. If they had pushed-up BOG instead of pushing it back to Feb 7 it would have been the first-ever January release; which is probably why it's coming out so late.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Pail42 on December 23, 2013]

skizzikmonger
posted December 24, 2013 11:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Planeswalker from Born of the Gods

Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2GU
Planeswalker-Kiora
+1: Until your next turn, prevent all damage that
would be dealt to and dealt by target permanent
an opponent controls.
-1: Draw a card. You may play an additional land
this turn.
-5: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of
your end step, put a 9/9 blue Kraken creature
token onto the battlefield."

source

MeddlingMage
posted December 25, 2013 05:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:

Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2GU
Planeswalker-Kiora
an opponent controls.
this turn.

source

I like. I like it a lot.

~MM

stab107
posted December 25, 2013 06:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
quote:
I like. I like it a lot.

~MM

She is our first UG 'walker, so I want to like her. But I am just not feeling it. That first ability doesn't feel UG at all. The second ability is all about value and is fully UG but there is no synergy there with the other two abilities. The ultimate make fat tokens but they don't have Islandwalk? Seems odd as most Krakens have Islandwalk or something that ties them to Islands.

Like I said, I want to like her but it really feels like they mailed it in on this one.

Vegas10
posted December 25, 2013 08:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:

Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2GU
Planeswalker-Kiora
an opponent controls.
this turn.

source

Looks solid can has an ability that can protect it, has a good card advantage/mana advantage ability, and ultimate has inevitability to it seems solid.

Volcanon
posted December 25, 2013 11:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
She is our first UG 'walker, so I want to like her. But I am just not feeling it. That first ability doesn't feel UG at all. The second ability is all about value and is fully UG but there is no synergy there with the other two abilities. The ultimate make fat tokens but they don't have Islandwalk? Seems odd as most Krakens have Islandwalk or something that ties them to Islands.

Like I said, I want to like her but it really feels like they mailed it in on this one.

Mistform Ultimus doesn't have islandwalk.

mattw
posted December 25, 2013 06:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
I like it cause she is a hottie. Should find a place for it in my zegana edh deck as well

dfitzg88
posted December 25, 2013 08:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
She seems like a good fog engine. Extra cards, extra lands, and a win con all in one. I would definitely give her a shot in a UGw fog deck

wayne
posted December 25, 2013 11:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
Dies to Lightning Strike, I would have preferred a higher starting loyalty and higher ultimate cost.

quote:

Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2GU
Planeswalker-Kiora
an opponent controls.
this turn.

source

daner
posted December 26, 2013 01:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by wayne:
Dies to Lightning Strike, I would have preferred a higher starting loyalty and higher ultimate cost.

Yea, that's my only gripe about her. She cost 4 cmc for a starting 2 loyalty pw....never a good thing when your + ability can't even protect you from a Bolt effect.

Aside from that I really like her, but WOTC really hosed her on the starting loyalty.

jbark
posted December 26, 2013 06:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Lightning strike and magma jet are barely played in standard right now so its not much of an issue in the current standard. The card to worry about is hero's downfall and well it doesn't matter which walker it is so I can see her getting played. I will try her in UG prophet. Doing tricks with nykthos and powering out crazy mana turn 4.

chaos021
posted December 27, 2013 02:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
I'm not sure it matters that she dies to a bolt. I think she's amazing.

My Sale Thread

junichi
posted December 28, 2013 12:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
In a pure EDH perspective, she is pretty horrible.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

Devonin
posted December 28, 2013 01:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:
In a pure EDH perspective, she is pretty horrible.

2UG for Explore, Explore isn't really -horrible-

junichi
posted December 28, 2013 01:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
2UG for Explore, Explore isn't really -horrible-

It's actually 2UG for an Explore on your first turn, and a conditional Explore on your second turn. It's more than likely that she won't live till your next upkeep in a standard 4 man EDH game sitting at 1 loyalty counter. You are looking at paying 2UG for an explore and a healing salve at best. In a ramp deck, I would rather play Skyshroud Claim, Explosive Vegetation, or Oracle of Mul Daya.

edit:
To put in bluntly, this is Sarkhan the Mad bad.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

[Edited 1 times, lastly by junichi on December 28, 2013]

This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League