Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Buying Cards for Bitcoins

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Buying Cards for Bitcoins
BreathOfZen
posted January 14, 2014 10:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for BreathOfZen Click Here to Email BreathOfZen Send a private message to BreathOfZen Click to send BreathOfZen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I don't know if this has been asked, but I would like to buy magic cards for Bitcoins on this forum, but am not quite sure how to go about it. Do you guys have any interest in that sort of thing, and if so where is a good subforum to start discussing such trades?

Thanks!
Chris

jbark
posted January 14, 2014 11:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Not allowed on this forum sorry.

Azuriae
posted January 14, 2014 11:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Azuriae Click Here to Email Azuriae Send a private message to Azuriae Click to send Azuriae an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Your best bet is to sell your Bitcoins for Paypal funds, since straight up buying for Bitcoins is not allowed here.

Leeroy
posted January 15, 2014 01:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Leeroy Click Here to Email Leeroy Send a private message to Leeroy Click to send Leeroy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Not allowed? Oh really?

quote:
Originally posted by Tha Gunslinga:
Alright, well, honestly I can't see how Bitcoins are THAT much different from, say, MODO tix, and we allow those. I don't think very many people will want to deal in Bitcoins, so I am going to allow it unless another moderator has some sort of serious problem with it.

quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
It is allowed, but there are very few people who are willing.

Yes, obviously not allowed...

quote:
Originally posted by BreathOfZen:
Hi everyone,
I don't know if this has been asked, but I would like to buy magic cards for Bitcoins on this forum, but am not quite sure how to go about it. Do you guys have any interest in that sort of thing, and if so where is a good subforum to start discussing such trades?

Thanks!
Chris

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would accept bitcoins.

BreathOfZen
posted January 15, 2014 10:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for BreathOfZen Click Here to Email BreathOfZen Send a private message to BreathOfZen Click to send BreathOfZen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leeroy:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would accept bitcoins.

In that case, I think I'd like to put up some offers to buy dual lands for bitcoins. Being a noob though, I have two questions:
1. Where do I post it?
2. Should I just post a quote for NM Revised cards, and say something like "for a quote on other qualities or editions, message me."?

nderdog
posted January 15, 2014 11:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
In that case, I think I'd like to put up some offers to buy dual lands for bitcoins. Being a noob though, I have two questions:
1. Where do I post it?
2. Should I just post a quote for NM Revised cards, and say something like "for a quote on other qualities or editions, message me."?

Use the Non-Magic Forum, as you're essentially trading non-Magic items (bitcoins) for Magic cards, which falls into that category.

If you are willing to take other editions or qualities, then post the prices for them. Asking people to message you about prices will make it seem like you're trying to skirt the forum rules about having prices posted.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

BreathOfZen
posted January 15, 2014 12:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BreathOfZen Click Here to Email BreathOfZen Send a private message to BreathOfZen Click to send BreathOfZen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Use the Non-Magic Forum, as you're essentially trading non-Magic items (bitcoins) for Magic cards, which falls into that category.

If you are willing to take other editions or qualities, then post the prices for them. Asking people to message you about prices will make it seem like you're trying to skirt the forum rules about having prices posted.

Okey dokey, I've posted a thread in the Non-Magic Forum here:
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/023780.html
Does everything look to be okay, or is there anything that needs changing?

nderdog
posted January 15, 2014 01:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Looks fine to me.

Report rules violations.

jbark
posted January 15, 2014 02:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
But by MODO standards shiuldt he have an established rep before trading virtual goods?

BreathOfZen
posted January 15, 2014 02:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BreathOfZen Click Here to Email BreathOfZen Send a private message to BreathOfZen Click to send BreathOfZen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
But by MODO standards shiuldt he have an established rep before trading virtual goods?

I don't think it's a virtual good any more then a Paypal transaction is a virtual good, but given that in any trade I make as the buyer I will be the one sending the bitcoins before receiving shipment, and given that there is no authority on earth that can "reverse a charge" in a Bitcoin transaction (unlike Paypal...) the only one who faces risk of fraud in these matters is me .

spike777
posted January 15, 2014 03:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for spike777 Click Here to Email spike777 Send a private message to spike777 Click to send spike777 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't know a lot about bitcoin past the wiki article, so please forgive the ignorance, but why not just sell the bitcoin for paypal dollars? Is there a fee for selling it? Is that fee larger than the inconvenience of finding the six people on this site that deal both in MTG and bitcoin, and then hope they have the cards to sell that you want to buy? It just seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. How much could they possibly charge in fees to sell some of your bitcoin?

BreathOfZen
posted January 15, 2014 03:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BreathOfZen Click Here to Email BreathOfZen Send a private message to BreathOfZen Click to send BreathOfZen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spike777:
I don't know a lot about bitcoin past the wiki article, so please forgive the ignorance, but why not just sell the bitcoin for paypal dollars? Is there a fee for selling it? Is that fee larger than the inconvenience of finding the six people on this site that deal both in MTG and bitcoin, and then hope they have the cards to sell that you want to buy? It just seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. How much could they possibly charge in fees to sell some of your bitcoin?

I'm testing out buying cards for Bitcoin mainly for the interest of it all, but as for Paypal I have to admit to being annoyed both because they charge a bit over 3% in fees, and because I have been stung by "charge backs" by people claiming to have been hacked, without any recourse for the seller. This way, if I get cheated out of my Bitcoins, the buyer doesn't get to make excuses to anyone!

One other thing to know is that bitcoiners tend to be enthusiastic about the subject, at their own cost sometimes

oneofchaos
posted January 15, 2014 03:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm testing out buying cards for Bitcoin mainly for the interest of it all, but as for Paypal I have to admit to being annoyed both because they charge a bit over 3% in fees, and because I have been stung by "charge backs" by people claiming to have been hacked, without any recourse for the seller. This way, if I get cheated out of my Bitcoins, the buyer doesn't get to make excuses to anyone!

One other thing to know is that bitcoiners tend to be enthusiastic about the subject, at their own cost sometimes

Power to you man, I was about to start accepting Dogecoins in my sales threads when I put my next batch of stuff up.

nderdog
posted January 15, 2014 03:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:

I think you're confusing selling MTGO tix and trading MTGO cards.

Report rules violations.

caquaa
posted January 16, 2014 07:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

While I have zero interest in using/accepting bitcoin, they are currency which should fall into the standard sales forum, right?

nderdog
posted January 17, 2014 07:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
While I have zero interest in using/accepting bitcoin, they are currency which should fall into the standard sales forum, right?

No, for much the same reasons that MTGO card trading also falls into non-Magic, even though they're "Magic". Bitcoin is still more or less a novelty, and having them in the sales forum will only cause problems for most people wanting to buy or sell the listed cards.

Report rules violations.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League