Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  stolen collection!

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   stolen collection!
bigfatlooser
posted January 05, 2014 10:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigfatlooser Click Here to Email bigfatlooser Send a private message to bigfatlooser Click to send bigfatlooser an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bigfatlooser's Have/Want ListView bigfatlooser's Have/Want List
So on Monday my car got broken into and the thief took along with him 2 bags of magic cards. Pretty devastating to say the least. Ive filed a police report but that's obviously not going to do anything. Just posting this one here to see if I can possibly get some help since this stuff is not easy to move and there are quite a few dealers here. If anyone finds these stolen goods, plz contact me. There will be huge rewards for finder's fee, i just haven't thought of it yet.

On to the content of the 2 bags.

bag 1( gray messenger bag)
----------------------------
- Foiled out Legacy RUG deck(6 fbb duals)
- Bant commander deck Roon(3 fbb duals)
- 75% foiled Modern Affinity deck
- 1 deck box filled with (dual lands and fetchlands)
- 2 random 500 count boxes of unsorted rares

bag 2(green backpack)
----------------------
- blue school binder STANDARD(typical standard binder with all the shocks and random standard goodies)
- ultra pro binder full of Legacy and Modern foils(LEGACY and MODERN foils such as Dark Confidants, Grove of the burnwillows, etc)
- ultra pro binder full of legends (i'm trying to collect every legendary card in foils 1 of each)
- ultra pro binder full of foil Planeswalers(my foil planeswalker collection 1 of each)
- ultra pro binder full of FOIL zendikar lands
- ultra pro binder full of random mythics (this one not particularly valuable.

This is my last resort. I'm not optimistic about this at all, but still trying to do all that I can since this is such a huge lost. Any help here is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Vegas10
posted January 05, 2014 11:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
I'm sure you have done this, but who knew you carried this type of stuff in your car.

Animosity
posted January 05, 2014 12:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Animosity Click Here to Email Animosity Send a private message to Animosity Click to send Animosity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
File a claim with your home owners/renters insurance if you have it. They will cover some part of it .

marvinc023
posted January 05, 2014 03:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marvinc023 Click Here to Email marvinc023 Send a private message to marvinc023 Click to send marvinc023 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marvinc023's Have/Want ListView marvinc023's Have/Want List
This is terrible. I know I take my bag of traders with me and never leave it in the car because of stories like this. I hope you find your collection.

Why did you have so much with you? Do you always travel with them? If not who would know you had all those staples? Its not a dig at you more a question to see if you can pin point someone.

bigfatlooser
posted January 05, 2014 03:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigfatlooser Click Here to Email bigfatlooser Send a private message to bigfatlooser Click to send bigfatlooser an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bigfatlooser's Have/Want ListView bigfatlooser's Have/Want List
its just my trading bag and my playing bag. those ultrapro binders are those thin ones with black pages and no rings so they dont take up that much space.

JayC
posted January 05, 2014 07:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Very sorry to hear this, wishing you the best recovery possible

majicman
posted January 06, 2014 01:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Dude,

I feel your pain as I have had a couple very valuable things stolen (almost complete set of Legends a LONG TIME ago). Were these stolen out of where you live (Austin TX I presume)?

As someone mentioned, if you have homeowners/renters insurance you should file a claim with them. I have several friends who have done that and recouped their money and re-purchased. Use Retail prices - replacement cost so you may have a chance to get a good chunk of the funds back.

I wish you the best of luck!

Greg

jaromirjagr
posted January 06, 2014 08:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jaromirjagr's Have/Want ListView jaromirjagr's Have/Want List
Im not sure how well you know the store owners in your area,but maybe if they don't mind you could put posters out in there shops and bulletin boards.Maybe put the word out and put some heat on the thief.Let them know what you lost and that someone might be trying pawn it off.Also constantly check kijiji and craigslist and other for sale ads in your area.Best of luck.

majicman
posted January 08, 2014 07:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The other thing is if you are posting up stolen collection signs, perhaps post a reward...no questions asked. Criminals are sometimes dumb and just want quick cash. I have seen this work too.

Good luck!!

Greg

Volcanon
posted January 08, 2014 07:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by majicman:
The other thing is if you are posting up stolen collection signs, perhaps post a reward...no questions asked. Criminals are sometimes dumb and just want quick cash. I have seen this work too.

Good luck!!

Greg

Except that somebody legit tries to return it after finding it somewhere, and the owner, instead of being grateful, blames that person for the theft, refuses to pay the reward and demands 'compensation' for missing cards.

majicman
posted January 08, 2014 11:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
Except that somebody legit tries to return it after finding it somewhere, and the owner, instead of being grateful, blames that person for the theft, refuses to pay the reward and demands 'compensation' for missing cards.

Well exhausting all alternatives couldn't hurt.

MDunsh
posted January 11, 2014 03:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MDunsh Click Here to Email MDunsh Send a private message to MDunsh Click to send MDunsh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MDunsh's Have/Want ListView MDunsh's Have/Want List
Sorry to hear about this. I had an awesome collection stolen in 2008 when I was in grad school and had no $$$. Looked hard, police, pawn shops, nothing ever surfaced. Hope you had better luck than I did.

Lesson learned was; renters insurance is really cheap and if you document your collection properly it will be covered.

I learned the hard way.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League