Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  MM 2015

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   MM 2015
Pennik
posted May 15, 2015 08:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pennik Click Here to Email Pennik Send a private message to Pennik Click to send Pennik an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pennik's Have/Want ListView Pennik's Have/Want List
Does anybody know why the new set is so much more expensive per box. I was getting the Tarkir series for about $88 a box and I just saw that MM 2015 is going for $244 a box!

It also has less packs per boxes than the Tarkir series.

Not happy about this...

LandDestroyer
posted May 15, 2015 08:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Pennik:
Does anybody know why the new set is so much more expensive per box. I was getting the Tarkir series for about $88 a box and I just saw that MM 2015 is going for $244 a box!

Not happy about this...

Um...have you looked at all at what the set contains? It's not a standard set. It has cards like Tarmogoyf ($175), vendilion clique, cryptic command, dark confidant, etc etc.

If I could buy boxes at like $180 a box I'd do it and be super happy. It's not comparable to boxes of khans at all.

hilikuS
posted May 15, 2015 09:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Pennik:

Not happy about this...

Yeah these cards are not standard legal, and it's not a regular set release like Khans, Fate, Dragons or Magic Origins. The goal of the set is to reprint some very valuable Modern staples, and give those who do not have copies a relatively inexpensive way to obtain them.

It sounds like you don't know what Tarmogoyf is, so check that out. It's a mythic in the set, and worth like $180.

mm1983
posted May 15, 2015 03:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
It's already been said that the msrp was going to be higher than that of modern masters 1, for very good reason too. I think there's more bulk rare stuff than what modern masters 1 had but there is also more value with the cards that aren't bulk. Even with a 3rd printing of some cards like Tarmogoyf, Vendilion Clique, bob, and cryptic command it still may not be enough to lower their price over time. Prices will see an initial drop because of all of the new product but prices will rise especially if modern format takes off again like it did during modern masters 1.

MagicPatty
posted May 15, 2015 06:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
It's already been said that the msrp was going to be higher than that of modern masters 1, for very good reason too.

Another good reason is that when MM1 came out and had a 6.99 MSRP, it felt awkward that stores were selling them for anywhere from 10-14 dollars. I think that the higher MSRP may be as much a reflection of what stores will reeeeally charge as it is reflective of the value in the set itself.

dwiz
posted May 16, 2015 08:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
MM2 kinda sucks. It sounds like you guys don't have your ear to the ground on this one. People are ****ed on how bad this missed the mark. No good commons, 4 uncommons worth more than $2. 30 rares worth 20 cents or less...and charging $10 a pack. Many people cancelled pre-orders. It's certainly not worth $250 a box, but people like lottery tickets, and people like to gamble, so somebody will open the packs. Most will come out losing a bunch of money, a few will make a few bucks on the box. Too many cards that should have been reprinted are missing. Wizards knows how ****ed people are. That's why they released the info that serum visions in a promo in 4 months, because people are so ****ed it's not in mm2.

rats60
posted May 17, 2015 11:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
MM2 kinda sucks. It sounds like you guys don't have your ear to the ground on this one. People are ****ed on how bad this missed the mark. No good commons, 4 uncommons worth more than $2. 30 rares worth 20 cents or less...and charging $10 a pack. Many people cancelled pre-orders. It's certainly not worth $250 a box, but people like lottery tickets, and people like to gamble, so somebody will open the packs. Most will come out losing a bunch of money, a few will make a few bucks on the box. Too many cards that should have been reprinted are missing. Wizards knows how ****ed people are. That's why they released the info that serum visions in a promo in 4 months, because people are so ****ed it's not in mm2.

This makes no sense. MM2 is much better than MM1 which was 200-225 per box and 10/pack upon release. MM1 had crap for commons, 7 good UCs, only 1 rare worth much more than the pack price and 4 junk mythic instead of one. MM1 sold out and doubled in price. This set is made to draft and has much better value than MM1.

I think WOTC knows exactly what they are doing. They held back some cards for MM3 instead of putting everything in here that had value. After Innistrad block, there isn't going to be much new stuff to put in these sets. The people crying are the same ones who want WOTC to turn MTG into YuGiOh and reprint everything to death so everything is cheap.

dwiz
posted May 17, 2015 12:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by rats60:
This makes no sense. MM2 is much better than MM1 which was 200-225 per box and 10/pack upon release. MM1 had crap for commons, 7 good UCs, only 1 rare worth much more than the pack price and 4 junk mythic instead of one. MM1 sold out and doubled in price. This set is made to draft and has much better value than MM1.

I think WOTC knows exactly what they are doing. They held back some cards for MM3 instead of putting everything in here that had value. After Innistrad block, there isn't going to be much new stuff to put in these sets. The people crying are the same ones who want WOTC to turn MTG into YuGiOh and reprint everything to death so everything is cheap.

Buy it nows on ebay have dropped to under retail price. Then you add in the free shipping they are offering and the 18% cut that ebay and paypal take, stores are selling this box for $180 cash. Feel free to buy some boxes and lose money though. Everyone else must be wrong about this set sucking. May the Comet Storms be with you.

PacFan01
posted May 17, 2015 12:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PacFan01 Click Here to Email PacFan01 Send a private message to PacFan01 Click to send PacFan01 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View PacFan01's Have/Want ListView PacFan01's Have/Want List
quote:

Someone on MOTL did an analysis of MM2 and found that it's value is slightly higher than MM1. Remember, when MM1 came out the concept was fresh and exciting. People take big reprints (Goyf, Clique, Confidant) for granted and expect more value on top. I won't purchase any MM2 product, but the set fulfills its purpose: to provide high-value, non-standard cards at the cost of a higher MSRP.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by PacFan01 on May 17, 2015]

paragondave
posted May 18, 2015 11:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Buy it nows on ebay have dropped to under retail price. Then you add in the free shipping they are offering and the 18% cut that ebay and paypal take, stores are selling this box for $180 cash. Feel free to buy some boxes and lose money though. Everyone else must be wrong about this set sucking. May the Comet Storms be with you.

I wish I could find a store selling them for $180 a box. $217.58 is the cheapest BIN with free shipping that I found on Ebay. I just got a 4 box case for $800 from my local guy after searching online for over an hour. I doubt I'll be opening any.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paragondave on May 18, 2015]

hilikuS
posted May 18, 2015 01:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
I think MM2 does suck if you wanted to crack a box and double your money every time, but if you could do that, the boxes would be twice as expensive (or more).

If you want to play the lottery, it's amazing. If you want to draft a new set built for drafting, and also maybe get some valuable stuff, it's pretty good. I think Conspiracy was probably better for your money, but the opportunity to draft MM2 will be limited. So it's like an experience.

You wouldn't have a bazillion people trying to get to Vegas for the GP if it wasn't a draw.

I personally picked up 2 boxes at the $200 mark, but won't be opening them. We run some local events, and I'ma use them as prizes. It doesn't seem to make sense to me to crack them and piece out the singles, but then again, how many new sets really are?

dwiz
posted May 18, 2015 01:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
I wish I could find a store selling them for $180 a box. $217.58 is the cheapest BIN with free shipping that I found on Ebay. I just got a 4 box case for $800 from my local guy after searching online for over an hour. I doubt I'll be opening any.

$180 meaning that is their take home money when selling a box. Invoice is $140. So this HOT set has them making $40 a box on it. Not so hot.

rats60
posted May 18, 2015 03:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
$180 meaning that is their take home money when selling a box. Invoice is $140. So this HOT set has them making $40 a box on it. Not so hot.

You fail at math. Ebay charges 10%, it's 8% for volume sellers and paypal is 2.9%.

dfitzg88
posted May 18, 2015 04:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rats60:
You fail at math. Ebay charges 10%, it's 8% for volume sellers and paypal is 2.9%.

That's 24 in fees and 13 for priority shipping. I think they do end up with 180 unless i missed something.

flam flawless
posted May 18, 2015 04:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flam flawless Click Here to Email flam flawless Send a private message to flam flawless Click to send flam flawless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View flam flawless's Have/Want ListView flam flawless's Have/Want List
I'd like to know how opening a emakeral (sp) or any of the other cash 8+ drops will be a fun format to draft. You wanna win? Pass the $40 card.

Edit - don't get me wrong, I'll still p1p1 the cash and try to beat the guy that maybe cracks one of the playable cash cards with the other slots, but it won't be as easy.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by flam flawless on May 18, 2015]

dfitzg88
posted May 18, 2015 11:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flam flawless:
I'd like to know how opening a emakeral (sp) or any of the other cash 8+ drops will be a fun format to draft. You wanna win? Pass the $40 card.

Edit - don't get me wrong, I'll still p1p1 the cash and try to beat the guy that maybe cracks one of the playable cash cards with the other slots, but it won't be as easy.

The pick order after you first pick a 15-drop is 1. bounce lands (which pseudo-increases the # of lands in your deck without taking up slots), 2. every removal spell and 3. every giant creature possible, with an honorable mention for picking up eldrazi spawn cards to stall/make them cheaper.

Bounce lands are also way more impressive than they look for casting eldrazi.

Edit: RoE limited had waaay more spawn makers and more strategies revolving around them, so while they were more common, they were also more highly picked. Here, they're only really filler cards in decks with gigantic uncastable bombs.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on May 18, 2015]

flam flawless
posted May 19, 2015 09:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flam flawless Click Here to Email flam flawless Send a private message to flam flawless Click to send flam flawless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View flam flawless's Have/Want ListView flam flawless's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:
The pick order after you first pick a 15-drop is 1. bounce lands (which pseudo-increases the # of lands in your deck without taking up slots), 2. every removal spell and 3. every giant creature possible, with an honorable mention for picking up eldrazi spawn cards to stall/make them cheaper.

Bounce lands are also way more impressive than they look for casting eldrazi.

Edit: RoE limited had waaay more spawn makers and more strategies revolving around them, so while they were more common, they were also more highly picked. Here, they're only really filler cards in decks with gigantic uncastable bombs.

Idk. It just seems quite slow for draft. I mean, if I'm opening up pack 1 in a top 8 table, and open any eldrazi, I'm not as happy as if I cracked say kiki or bitterblossom. I guess I'll see when I do my one and only draft (unless I x-0 )

dfitzg88
posted May 20, 2015 04:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Idk. It just seems quite slow for draft. I mean, if I'm opening up pack 1 in a top 8 table, and open any eldrazi, I'm not as happy as if I cracked say kiki or bitterblossom. I guess I'll see when I do my one and only draft (unless I x-0 )

Bitterblossom, Profane Command, or Elesh Norn are the cards I'd want to open. They're all bonkers. I just wish Bitterblossom was in the last MM as there are much fewer fairies. Have to go changeling.

Other than that, Nameless Inversion also seems awesome with Soulshift

mm1983
posted May 20, 2015 04:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:

Agree that it's slow but you can make Eldrazi work in draft but you'd need to pull one out of the first pack plus draft the other uncommon Eldrazi creatures. Between Eldrazi spawn token creatures, Eldrazi Temple being an uncommon now, Eye of Ugin as a rare, Primeval Titan, and 10 bounce lands in the set it can be done. Though you don't need all of those things there are many options available in the set to make Eldrazi work.

MagicPatty
posted May 20, 2015 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
I don't know if you guys drafted all that much Morningtide/Lorwyn, but while playable, Bitterblossom was not a mega-bomb.... ya turn two on the play it was very good, but it pales in limited to real "bombs" like Pack Rat or Bonfire of the Damned.

iccarus
posted May 21, 2015 07:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So yeah, there's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=64&v=_JDPGbZUReY

Checking the comments, it looks like you have to remove some glue first as well, but that's really not that hard to do (although doing it without damaging the pack will be a little harder).

Bottom line - be wary of who you buy boosters from. Probably best to avoid getting random loose packs from ebay.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League