Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Dominaria Expansion

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Dominaria Expansion
YoungQuakerBoy
posted April 11, 2018 06:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for YoungQuakerBoy Click Here to Email YoungQuakerBoy Send a private message to YoungQuakerBoy Click to send YoungQuakerBoy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey, all.

Any thoughts on the upcoming Dominaria expansion? Cardwise or story/flavorwise?

I am super stoked for the set. I feel like the cards are fairly powerful overall as well as unique and cool. Also, the lower rarities on some fairly powerful cards makes me very happy.

I generally just play modern and there are already a couple cards that will slot right into a couple of my decks.

As I follow the Magic storyline pretty closely, I am also enjoying that for Dominaria as well. It has been pretty poor at some times, recently, but has seemed to improve a bit the last few sets. I wasn't around when Dominaria was all there was and the story was all there, but I have mostly caught up on it in preparation, and am enjoying where it is going this time, so far.

How about you?

saskbmx
posted April 11, 2018 10:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for saskbmx Click Here to Email saskbmx Send a private message to saskbmx Click to send saskbmx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think it will be good

chaos021
posted April 11, 2018 02:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
Oddly enough, I don't think the cards are that powerful if you look at it through the lens of magic's history. For what I expected, it's a fairly solid set imo. Also, the power "band" between rares and uncommons isn't that wide. Some folks will like that for limited. Some won't. I think it's really interesting. I also really like the flavor of the set. I haven't been able to delve into the story yet, but I'm sure it won't come close to old school arcs. I'm just hoping it's not a total rehash with of the old story with new characters.

YoungQuakerBoy
posted April 12, 2018 06:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for YoungQuakerBoy Click Here to Email YoungQuakerBoy Send a private message to YoungQuakerBoy Click to send YoungQuakerBoy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I can see it not being strong compared to the past. I guess I was thinking more compared to recent sets and their having just a few strong cards that clearly outclassed everything else in a weak overall set. I am appreciating what, so far, seems to me to be a much closer power level over many cards in the set and over many rarities, as you mentioned, Chaos.

B-Town
posted April 12, 2018 11:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for B-Town Click Here to Email B-Town Send a private message to B-Town Click to send B-Town an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View B-Town's Have/Want ListView B-Town's Have/Want List
I don't really play standard. I'm excited because I feel like this set has a lot of good cards for other formats. There's that anti-Tron artifact in this set, which is cool considering that modern deck has begun to seem a little overpowered (and is getting a new Karn). The 3 drop, 5/5 Elf is pretty crazy. Lots of legendary creatures which should create an influx of new EDH decks (I already have a list made up for Tatyova myself). The historic cards - meh, but something new I guess.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by B-Town on April 12, 2018]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League