Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Biggest loss/damage to your collection - your story (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Biggest loss/damage to your collection - your story
majicman
posted November 04, 2013 06:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
Well, I learned a valuable lesson over the weekend. Never keep excess magic cards in your garage on the floor close to anything which could damage them...in this case the water heater.

I came home in the evening and saw some flow of water coming out from my garage. I usually have most of my cards stacked in storage cubbards or in the house and I left my 7000 count basic land box (don't ask) on the floor. Well, good bye nice land box. It had mostly revised to Onslaught so it wasn't big money land (like Zen,Unglued, unhinged or beta, alpha, unlimited as I keep those separate, but I had some pretty Mirage, Tempest, Saga lands that all bit the dust to water damage.

So, it got me thinking, anyone else have a story to tell about an unusual loss you had with magic cards. I am not looking at people having cards stolen because I am sure a lot of us have had those losses.

I had a friend of mine have a Time Vault in his pants pocket and his mom washed it. He still has it as a memento of what not to do with anything valuable.

Please share your story.

Perhaps I will need to sign up for Hoarders to recoup my pretty lands :0( to collect some of the land back and make a huge deposit of commons that I have no use for.

Oh the horror! Please share away!

daner
posted November 04, 2013 10:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
True story, that worked out in my favor, about loose packs in your pants pockets and the washing machine.

I had a draft set I put in my cargo pocket on my pants, came home and my mother threw them in the wash. The pack of champions exploded....it contained nothing. The Betrayers pack, and Saviors pack were in tact. Seeing as I probably was done drafting that block shortly I just decided to crack those packs. Pulled a Jitte and a Pithing Needle(when it was worth something).

Other than that when we moved back when I was younger my mother threw away a box by accident filled with all my Invasion block un/commons. Something close to 20 Fact or Fiction, FTK, Fires, etc etc. THAT SUCKED.

WeedIan
posted November 05, 2013 12:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Probably just when i was young and had my entire commons/uncommons staples stolen.

Bolts, etc.

8th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

harbingerofthevoid
posted November 05, 2013 12:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
cat **** <- starts with pi.. / she was drinking a 3 day old beer in the windowsill

loss, not much but ah hell nah!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by harbingerofthevoid on November 05, 2013]

Demilio
posted November 05, 2013 06:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
i placed a semi-wet napkin down on some cards (not too valuable) and they were very quickly ruined. Also have put cards down on surfaces that were damp from someones drink and those were quickly ruined too.

Azuriae
posted November 05, 2013 08:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Azuriae Click Here to Email Azuriae Send a private message to Azuriae Click to send Azuriae an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Azuriae's Have/Want ListView Azuriae's Have/Want List
During the Zendikar days, I had lent my decks to the owner of one of my LGS, which I had known for years, since that's where I played for most of my childhood. It was my full deck box (Which had my three decks at the time, had a full set of Fetchlands, including some foils)

When I came back the next week, the place was closed down and apparently the owner had some huge drug issues and was now in jail. Not too long later the place was sold and it became an electronics shop.

I guess I was kind of stupid, but I used to trust people too easily.

I don't play Modern, but I have a set of Misty Rainforests in my binder just for the sentimental value. :P

stizkidz
posted November 05, 2013 08:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stizkidz Click Here to Email stizkidz Send a private message to stizkidz Click to send stizkidz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stizkidz's Have/Want ListView stizkidz's Have/Want List
"levi critchfield"

Do I really need to say any more?

stinkinogre
posted November 05, 2013 09:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stinkinogre Click Here to Email stinkinogre Send a private message to stinkinogre Click to send stinkinogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stinkinogre's Trade Auction or SaleView stinkinogre's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by stizkidz:
"levi critchfield"

Do I really need to say any more?

Ya I think so.

isetfire
posted November 05, 2013 09:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Divorce!

I'm afraid to do a real value adding, but conservative estimates would be at least 25k

Pail42
posted November 05, 2013 10:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My entire collection (maybe 200 cards) was stolen in middle school after a few months after starting to play.

implode
posted November 05, 2013 10:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
My worst loss was someone stealing out of my bag, stole a merfolk deck that was worth ~$100. I played at a small store of 8 people, and really felt like no one would take things from me. Went to the bathroom, and my bag was open. Talked to the owner who wouldn't make an announcement asking about the issue. Well a few weeks pass by, and I just stop going to that store anymore. Owner may have been in on it.

helpmehelpyou
posted November 05, 2013 11:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for helpmehelpyou Click Here to Email helpmehelpyou Send a private message to helpmehelpyou Click to send helpmehelpyou an Instant MessageVisit helpmehelpyou's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View helpmehelpyou's Have/Want ListView helpmehelpyou's Have/Want List
baught a collection with older cards (forces, duals, etc)

dont have much experience with older stuff.. sold them on here.

had some good stuff like foil Academy Rector, underground seas, forces, etc. im sure parting out that collection i shorted myself somewhere around $400 or $500 bucks.

as far as damage.. have not really ever had a problem there. my cards sit on a shelf when not in use. and when i go to play i only take the deck im playing. i dont even travel with a tride binder 90% of the time. since i either trade online or just buy singles.

LandDestroyer
posted November 05, 2013 11:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
My collection was stolen at 2004 Texas regionals out of my buddie's trunk. At the time I had one of the better collections in Louisiana. Luckily I'd recently sold my power at PT New Orleans, but it was easily a $5,000-$10,000 collection (remember, 2004 values, we're talking 16 polluted deltas being only worth $128 dollars and duals at $8-$11 each). It was written about on mtgnews and people in surround states looked out for me but I never heard anything about it. They also took my backpack with my ti-89 that I was using for calculus, my car keys, 2 pairs of boxes :-| etc. Aside from the legacy stuff, one of the things that I miss the most was a mint beta sol ring that was a present.

Relevant thread from years ago
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=815653

Soldier Boi
posted November 05, 2013 12:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Soldier Boi's Have/Want ListView Soldier Boi's Have/Want List
When I first started playing my friend left his cards in his back because he didn't want to carry them around when we went into a card shop. After a few hours he came back to get his trade binder and when he came in to trade some of the pages hand melted shut. He only actually lost a few cards though. But it was funny.

mcelraca
posted November 05, 2013 02:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
I don't have any Magic related losses other than a few low value randos being damaged.

However...

and this is a sincere story

In 5th or 6th grade I lent my friend Pokemon Red with all 151 pokemon (mew from the gamegenie). In less than one week his younger sister got a hold of it and deleted my game.

I have never owned all 151 pokemon since.

junichi
posted November 05, 2013 02:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
My story begins with a water bottle inside a backpack...

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

Volcanon
posted November 05, 2013 04:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mcelraca:
I don't have any Magic related losses other than a few low value randos being damaged.

However...

and this is a sincere story

In 5th or 6th grade I lent my friend Pokemon Red with all 151 pokemon (mew from the gamegenie). In less than one week his younger sister got a hold of it and deleted my game.

I have never owned all 151 pokemon since.

Edit saves or use game genie again?

caquaa
posted November 05, 2013 06:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:

this almost got me at SCG Seattle. I had my legacy deck in one large pocket and a water bottle in another. Set my backpack on a table and an idiot friend decided to lean on my bag for whatever and crushed the water bottle. Thankfully I opened my bag for whatever reason, saw water soaking through the compartment and just took all my cards out and gave them to a friend to carry until my bag dried out. Considering beta duals, foil fetches, etc.... it was a close call.

Dr_Tongue
posted November 06, 2013 06:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dr_Tongue Click Here to Email Dr_Tongue Send a private message to Dr_Tongue Click to send Dr_Tongue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dr_Tongue's Have/Want ListView Dr_Tongue's Have/Want List
I'd have to say the biggest loss/damage I've suffered is a combination of me and real life. I used to have quite a better collection than I currently do but couldn't really justify having 3x Legacy decks and numerous 10 proxy Vintage deck possibilities along with my complete sets. So I pretty much sold out aside from some low dollar and/or personal cards to me.

Sure I've got other things that are expensive in nature, but when I really needed a cash bailout it was alot easier to find new homes for my cardboard collection pieces. It's still slinging cards in the end.

Havoc Demon
posted November 06, 2013 08:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Havoc Demon's Trade Auction or SaleView Havoc Demon's Trade Auction or Sale
Dropped a poker chip tin on the top corner of my Mox Emerald back when I still had it, leaving a pretty noticeable ding. Luckily it didn't murder the value too much when I traded it, just took the mantle for "worst conditioned piece of power" I owned.

Bagbokk
posted November 06, 2013 09:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Tongue:
I'd have to say the biggest loss/damage I've suffered is a combination of me and real life.

Yep. I'm thankful for not having anything bad happen to me (no thefts) or my cards (no water bottles), so I can't complain too much. Just every time I get out of Magic I would sell as much stuff as I felt like selling and let the rest sit around and collect dust. And every time I got back into Magic I would find that a lot of the stuff I sold went up tons (mostly Legacy staples like duals, FoWs, Wastelands, and a few pieces of power, sold them when they were $60-100 and came back to them being $300), and a lot of the stuff that I kept went down to near-bulk value because of rotation, reprints and such.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Bagbokk on November 06, 2013]

Liq
posted November 07, 2013 01:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Liq Click Here to Email Liq Send a private message to Liq Click to send Liq an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Liq's Trade Auction or SaleView Liq's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:

I have a story involving a can of soda and a dufflebag at the Saviors of Kamigawa Prerelease. Short version, I lost 3000 Super Series Gray sleeves, a dozen or so cardboard boxes, and not a single magic card. I think I had like a nonproxy version of every Standard legal deck that was Tier 1 to 2 in there, along with all my trade. Last time, I ever carried that much with me. These days, I have like trade and the deck I plan to play (if that).

My next best thing I "lost" in my collection was a Leyline of the Void which I stepped on that I had just gotten to finish my playset of Guildpact when it was just out. Traded it away and got a new one. Then the random 5 copies of Leyline of the Void popping up in the collection. It just seemed to replicate itself in the binder.

<BoltBait> Don't make me kick you
<Slinga> Have no fear, MOTL's janitor is here!
<nderdog> So we're all agreed, it's Liq's fault, right?
<Leshrac> let me deal with that
* Liq has been banned

ave-matthew
posted November 07, 2013 11:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ave-matthew Click Here to Email ave-matthew Send a private message to ave-matthew Click to send ave-matthew an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Biggest loss I ever took was a Grixis Control Standard deck being stolen around the middle of the Avacyn Restored season, retail about $350. I was very upset because it had the Wurmcoil Promo from the first pre-release I had attended D:

A few weeks later one of my friends was trading with someone and he had quite a few of the cards from that deck, including a set of sulfur falls that matched the one I ran (English, English foil, Spanish, Russian). Considering how rare Spanish cards are in Winnipeg and that all the lands matched, I accused him of stealing my deck, but then he started to cry, so I kind of backed off, not sure if I should have though :s. The story kind of has a happy ending, since he gave me the non-English Sulfur Falls back and one of that persons friends eventually gave me a SOM promo wurmcoil which I'm pretty sure is the one that was originally mine, and I treasure it the same as I did when I had it for the first time.

A1phaMale
posted November 08, 2013 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
I had the majority of my collection in three large binders which I left in my car overnight prior to the pre-release. When I was about to leave that morning, my car got broken into and everything was missing. It was worth about 3K (MOTL values) at the time (~2005) but by troll and toad prices it was over 10K.

I had called every store that would sell/buy magic within a 200 mile radius. Due to their shear stupidity, they left me a nice large bread crumb. I then handed the case to the police on a silver platter. The police setup a sting operation and those those losers got hauled off to jail for 5 years (it was important to prove that my collection was valued over 5K because that differentiates between a misdemanor and a felony in my state). I heard from the officer that one momma was screaming at them when they searched the house saying "my son didn't do that" and "get out of my house". The police recovered a bunch of other stolen merchandise from their home and I got all of my collection back.

Now that's some Karma!

AGO
posted November 08, 2013 11:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
I stopped playing for a few years and started back up at the Planar Chaos release. I brought my binder of rares and got taken by a dealer. I'm not sure how hard he got me, but I'm sure he did. I saw a buddy knock over a 42oz mega gulp all over his unsleeved standard deck. After all that I keep a good eye on all my stuff and make sure I know the prices on everything.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League