Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  New card frame.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New card frame.
mm1983
posted January 12, 2014 08:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I've heard there is going to a new card frame starting with m15. If this is true, do you think it's going to be the start of a new format like a modern 2.0 format? Current modern is 8th edition to current block format.

JayC
posted January 12, 2014 08:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It is true, more info is here:

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/adam-styborski-01062014-new-card-frame-coming-in-magic-2015/

iccarus
posted January 12, 2014 08:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I highly doubt they would create yet another format just because of some changes in the card frame. Modern may gain its name from the modern card frame switch, but there were many more important reasons for why that was made the starting point for the format.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

mattw
posted January 13, 2014 12:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
you never know iccarus, magic 1.0 to current, magic 2.0 to current, magic 3.0 current, if wotc want to push a format and provide ample prize support for said format there is no shortage of people who want to win money.

Do I think there will be a new modern? Doubtful, however it wouldn't surprise me in the very least if they did. Possibly they get rid of legacy altogether. How much money does wotc actually make off of the sales of revised duals?

prolly not much

keywacat
posted January 13, 2014 04:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
You lads need to read this.

stab107
posted January 13, 2014 06:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:

I am not usually a fan of Chas's writing but that is quite the article. Thanks for the link.

Pail42
posted January 13, 2014 09:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
I've heard there is going to a new card frame starting with m15. If this is true, do you think it's going to be the start of a new format like a modern 2.0 format? Current modern is 8th edition to current block format.

Modern already allows you to play with cards of every border type, including cards that have never been printed in new border - all the "timeshifted" cards. Wizards obviously doesn't care a whole lot about card frames defining the format. I think they'll just stick with Modern for the foreseeable future.

mm1983
posted January 13, 2014 11:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:

Modern already allows you to play with cards of every border type, including cards that have never been printed in new border - all the "timeshifted" cards. Wizards obviously doesn't care a whole lot about card frames defining the format. I think they'll just stick with Modern for the foreseeable future.

This is true for older cards reprinted into a modern legal set. It would be quite a few years before they even thought of introducing a new format into the game such as a possible modern 2 or 1.5 or whatever they would want to call it.

southparker2002
posted January 13, 2014 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
I love how they say on the card now what language it is for those foreign collectors

Pail42
posted January 13, 2014 12:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's definitely a logical point to draw a line at should they choose to make a new "modern" format - we just don't have any reason to believe they want a new format.

A1phaMale
posted January 13, 2014 03:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
Although the article was interesting, the author seems lame especially if he puts on his claim to fame that he "... traded a pack of Zendikar up to an Alpha Mox Sapphire, which he thinks was pretty freaking sweet."

How many little kids did he fleece?

chaos021
posted January 13, 2014 04:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by A1phaMale:
Although the article was interesting, the author seems lame especially if he puts on his claim to fame that he "... traded a pack of Zendikar up to an Alpha Mox Sapphire, which he thinks was pretty freaking sweet."

You jealous?

My Sale Thread

Pail42
posted January 13, 2014 05:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A1phaMale:

It depends on how many trades he had to make. Possibly none.

mm1983
posted January 13, 2014 05:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Maybe he opened his mox from a first release zendikar pack. That's how you really do pack to power

ogre
posted January 13, 2014 05:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ogre Click Here to Email ogre Send a private message to ogre Click to send ogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ogre's Have/Want ListView ogre's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:

I don't read many articles relating to Magic cards anymore, if anything just what's on this site, but it was interesting/informative.

One thing that did bother me wasn't regarding the counterfeits but the urge to abolish the reserved list. As a player/collector the reserved list is something that I wouldn't want to see done away w/ simply because it's a promise to players/collectors that these listed cards will not be reprinted.

I'd find it hard not to believe that it would destroy Hasbro's integrity, but would it destroy the integrity of the game?
Would it be better/worse for the game?
How major of an affect would it have on the value of the reprinted cards?

That would represent a very small amount of questions regarding the topic, guess my real question would be is this a consideration (reprinting reserved list cards)?

.02 is that I'm an opponent to abolishing the reserved list.

Jesse

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League