Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What would be the easiest/cheapest card on the reserve list to collect most copies of (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What would be the easiest/cheapest card on the reserve list to collect most copies of
LandDestroyer
posted October 23, 2013 07:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
For a little while I was collecting Grim Lavamancer b/c I love the card and it's relatively cheap these days. I was considering trying to collect something more obscure. What would be like the top 5 cards off the reserve list that were only printed in 1 set of physical cards, are cheap and thus would be easiest to try to collect most copies of the card.

I just thought of it so admittedly haven't looked into it much.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LandDestroyer on October 23, 2013]

paris
posted October 23, 2013 07:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Probably something from Fallen Empires like Elven Lyre.

If you buy out all the current Elven Lyres on SCG, T&T & ABU, you'd be able to get 287 copies of it for only $77.88.

psrex
posted October 23, 2013 07:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you don't have anything that you have a good personal connection to (Deep Spawn for me), then I would go with something that was at least popular at the time, like Autumn Willow. Everyone from back then will remember it, but it is completely out-classed today as a creature and so it sells for bulk prices. Alternatively, I'd go for something that is completely different from the cards of today, something like Musician. Musician is totally different from cards of today in both artwork and the abilities on the card.

LandDestroyer
posted October 23, 2013 08:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Great responses so far, thanks ya'll!

Hope to hear thoughts from other people too!

jbark
posted October 23, 2013 08:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
I do goblin games personally which I don't think is reserved but different. The thing I like tho is if I get one the person i get it from doodles and signs it for me. And I don't purchase only trade.

AGO
posted October 23, 2013 08:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Thrull Champion! No place to go but up! With every Thrull printing its like stealing money!

mm1983
posted October 23, 2013 09:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
When it comes to collecting the most copies of 1 card Spectral Lynx is my weakness. I currently have a total of over 130 of them, 9 being foil, 5 foreign, and the rest English.

Atahualpa
posted October 23, 2013 12:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Atahualpa Click Here to Email Atahualpa Send a private message to Atahualpa Click to send Atahualpa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Atahualpa's Have/Want ListView Atahualpa's Have/Want List
I don't collect any cards in this way, currently. I never thought I would. But, Musician is kind of cool and I even don't hate the art. Now I'm tempted.

Volcanon
posted October 23, 2013 02:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I collect Lu Bu Pre-release promos this way. I think an underpowered red legend with horsemanship does not likely pose much of a chance of a reprint outside of Commander decks or something... which isn't the same 'card'.

You can probably track down tons and tons of garbage ice age rares for almost nothing.

paragondave
posted October 23, 2013 02:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
I collect Lu Bu Pre-release promos this way. I think an underpowered red legend with horsemanship does not likely pose much of a chance of a reprint outside of Commander decks or something... which isn't the same 'card'.

You can probably track down tons and tons of garbage ice age rares for almost nothing.

C'mon Volc, it's on my want list! Hook me up man!

Volcanon
posted October 23, 2013 03:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
C'mon Volc, it's on my want list! Hook me up man!

I would have fewer of him if I sold them. Would kind of defeat the purpose of hoarding.

KIP_NZ
posted October 23, 2013 08:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
IIRC One of the board members has several hundred Didgeridoo's and has been responsible for pushing this card to nearly $4 on TCG player http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Didgeridoo

Also there's that guy in Germany who collected some Alpha Uncommon and they're worth like $40 on SCG cause he has 8% (and counting) of all them ever printed.

coasterdude84
posted October 24, 2013 10:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:
IIRC One of the board members has several hundred Didgeridoo's and has been responsible for pushing this card to nearly $4 on TCG player http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Didgeridoo

Also there's that guy in Germany who collected some Alpha Uncommon and they're worth like $40 on SCG cause he has 8% (and counting) of all them ever printed.

There are a number of Alpha hoarders on this site. It's easy to do, since you only need 11 of any given rare to have 1%.

If you want to really get something odd, I agree with Volc, you can probably get tons of ice age garbage for nothing. And I don't think you have to worry about something like Flow of Maggots getting reprinted (or played).

Magiclydelcious
posted October 24, 2013 11:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magiclydelcious Click Here to Email Magiclydelcious Send a private message to Magiclydelcious Click to send Magiclydelcious an Instant MessageVisit Magiclydelcious's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Magiclydelcious's Have/Want ListView Magiclydelcious's Have/Want List
If anyone is looking for any specific bulk common or uncommon to collect a lot of, I have about 1/2 Million bulk i have to go through so if you send me what you need i can pull em out accordingly.

On another note I collect as well. I collect Foil Delver of Secrets, I got 497 so far.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Magiclydelcious on October 24, 2013]

LandDestroyer
posted October 24, 2013 11:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Side note: I've been collecting bicentennial(1976) quarters since I was in 1st grade. I've got 300-400 of them so far. Feel free to set those aside for me

Volcanon
posted October 24, 2013 01:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:

Not just uncommons. Rares like death lace and zombie master are waaay up there for a reason.

mm1983
posted October 24, 2013 01:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:

Not just uncommons. Rares like death lace and zombie master are waaay up there for a reason.

I believe this also happened to Animate Wall from Alpha. Owning 5-10% print run of any Alpha card can affect the value. Keep in mind Alpha has been around for 20+ years now so how much of the print run do you think has been destroyed in some shape or form?

[Edited 2 times, lastly by mm1983 on October 24, 2013]

coasterdude84
posted October 24, 2013 01:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I can tell you for sure I know of 4 members here actively collecting 4 different Alpha rares. I'm not sure about 2 others, they may have sold out.

EDIT: English is hard.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by coasterdude84 on October 24, 2013]

keywacat
posted October 24, 2013 02:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by psrex:
If you don't have anything that you have a good personal connection to (Deep Spawn for me), then I would go with something that was at least popular at the time, like Autumn Willow.

Autumn Willow makes an appearance in my Azusa EDH deck for just this reason...

Jazaray
posted October 24, 2013 04:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I collect shark cards. Giant Shark, Hammerhead Shark, Deep Water and the Portal Man-O-War.

One of the times I third party'd for someone, he sent me like 50+ Giant Sharks and Hammerheads. It was cool!!

How about Hand of Justice? It's a neat card.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Melaleuca, go ahead, ask me what it is...

AEther Storm
posted October 25, 2013 01:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
I just realized AEther Storm is not on the reserve list. RRRRRRRREPRINT!!!!!

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Hooskdaddy
posted October 25, 2013 09:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I collect mental missteps 2000+ and counting

KIP_NZ
posted October 29, 2013 01:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooskdaddy:
I collect mental missteps 2000+ and counting

I collect Ancestral Recalls. I've got 3 and seeing as that's the optimal number I don't need any more

coolio
posted October 29, 2013 02:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
mana drain

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

KIP_NZ
posted October 29, 2013 04:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
mana drain

©

Not even .4 of a percent there coolio, you need to lift your game!

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League