Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Identity Nemesis - Is it the real deal?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Identity Nemesis - Is it the real deal?
JayC
posted October 22, 2013 03:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 

There's a debate that's about this card right now in the value section, and I'm curious why some people think this card is **** - maybe it is, I don't know, but I'd like to hear both opinions as to what you think.

A lot of people suggest this is progenitus, at 3 CMC, who you can equip a Jitte to. Sounds good.

A lot of people say that Cursecatcher is bad in Merfolk and this could replace that spot very nicely.

A lot of people say it looks better than it really is.

stinkinogre
posted October 22, 2013 03:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stinkinogre Click Here to Email stinkinogre Send a private message to stinkinogre Click to send stinkinogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stinkinogre's Trade Auction or SaleView stinkinogre's Trade Auction or Sale
We've been play testing him in Merflok and a few UB legacy builds. He not broken but he has been very good.

What we have found out is RUG delver, zoo or any deck with only targeted removal has a terrible time with him.

Shardless BUG doesn't care about him at all usually. With the Golgari charms sb and lilys in the deck and all. I think our testing was sharless 6 merfolk 2. Explorer pod and Nic Fit did well against it but I didn't play those against it so not sure the numbers.

Combo isn't affected at all by him obviously.

I think he's replaced cursecatcher. Everytime I had him I wish he was a brainstorm or something else.

Sidenote. Tidebinder in SB has been really well.

Hope this helps.

dwiz
posted October 22, 2013 07:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
Is True-Name Nemesis the card everyone is talking about? Why is referred to as Identity Nemesis? Or am I thinking about 2 different cards?

skizzikmonger
posted October 22, 2013 07:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Is True-Name Nemesis the card everyone is talking about? Why is referred to as Identity Nemesis? Or am I thinking about 2 different cards?

You're thinking of two different cards.

Identity Nemesis is what everyone's talking about.

dwiz
posted October 22, 2013 08:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:
You're thinking of two different cards.

Identity Nemesis is what everyone's talking about.

Identity Nemesis isn't a card. It's not on the Wizards deck list. True-Name Nemesis is the name of the card (the 3/1 Merfork beater). LINK

GenghisTom
posted October 23, 2013 06:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the irony hilarious that people aren't sure about the 'true name' or 'identity' of this card?

chaos021
posted October 23, 2013 07:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by GenghisTom:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the irony hilarious that people aren't sure about the 'true name' or 'identity' of this card?

I do too!

Goaswerfraiejen
posted October 23, 2013 08:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want ListView Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by GenghisTom:

Haha, good point!

quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:

They're one and the same. "Identity Nemesis" is what it originally appeared as on Sally. It's also, IMO, the more appropriate (and the better) translation of the French card that was first spoiled.

quote:
Originally posted by JayC:

There's a debate that's about this card right now in the value section, and I'm curious why some people think this card is **** - maybe it is, I don't know, but I'd like to hear both opinions as to what you think.

A lot of people suggest this is progenitus, at 3 CMC, who you can equip a Jitte to. Sounds good.

A lot of people say that Cursecatcher is bad in Merfolk and this could replace that spot very nicely.

A lot of people say it looks better than it really is.

As stinkinogre has said, a number of people have done a deal of testing so far. From my own (very limited) testing, it really does seem like a very good card, and one that's likely to force some changes in Legacy. If you could acquire some on the cheap, I suspect it would serve you well (although acquiring them at a high price probably won't). It's very powerful, in large part because very little in Legacy can touch it. And equipped, it's devastating. On the board in multiples, it makes me gnash my teeth.

I don't know about using it in Merfolk, where there's a lot of competition for the 3cc slots already. But it's definitely worth including elsewhere, such as in BUG (in place of Tombstalker).

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League