Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Legacy (Getting back into it)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Legacy (Getting back into it)
LandDestroyer
posted October 25, 2013 09:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting back into Legacy. Does anyone have a matrix of what the current meta looks like and what usually beats what? That'd be great.

I played legacy heavily 06/07. Back then the meta was heavy with threshhold (pre goyf/delver), goblins, high tide as the tier 1 decks. Tier 2 was like gamekeeper, deadguy (b/w pikula), TES. Tier 3 was like dredge and other stuff. I had a deck that was 80% vs the tier 1 decks called Roman Candle and only missed top 8 gencon b/c Roland Chang's awful tie breakers in the last round prevented him from IDing with me. I quit Magic for 6 years after Grand Prix Columbus in 2007 b/c I was so made over what they did with flash (removing power level errata 2 weeks before the only legacy GP)...so I've missed 6 years of legacy. Debating getting back in and going to DC. Any primer type stuff would be appreciated.

Aznopium
posted October 25, 2013 09:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
article written by folks I play with in the NYC area..
might be helpful for you, even though you aint on the east coast.

http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2013/10/hope-eternal-road-dc-mid-atlantic-metagame-analysis/

psrex
posted October 25, 2013 10:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
For Legacy decks and discussion you can't beat The Source:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php

Check out this thread for a metagame breakdown:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?5460-DTBF-Philosophy-amp-Deck-Selection

jbark
posted October 25, 2013 11:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Mtgtop8.com has multiple deck lists by event and date. Also breaks down most used cards and most of which deck is played over a certain time.

iccarus
posted October 25, 2013 02:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
There's also this.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by iccarus on October 25, 2013]

oneofchaos
posted October 25, 2013 05:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting back into Legacy. Does anyone have a matrix of what the current meta looks like and what usually beats what? That'd be great.

I played legacy heavily 06/07. Back then the meta was heavy with threshhold (pre goyf/delver), goblins, high tide as the tier 1 decks. Tier 2 was like gamekeeper, deadguy (b/w pikula), TES. Tier 3 was like dredge and other stuff. I had a deck that was 80% vs the tier 1 decks called Roman Candle and only missed top 8 gencon b/c Roland Chang's awful tie breakers in the last round prevented him from IDing with me. I quit Magic for 6 years after Grand Prix Columbus in 2007 b/c I was so made over what they did with flash (removing power level errata 2 weeks before the only legacy GP)...so I've missed 6 years of legacy. Debating getting back in and going to DC. Any primer type stuff would be appreciated.

I'm local I suppose for you if you ever need to borrow a deck or anything (playtest and what not).

stab107
posted October 26, 2013 04:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
There's also this.

That is amazing! Thanks for posting it.

headumpire
posted October 26, 2013 09:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:

+1

Goaswerfraiejen
posted October 26, 2013 12:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want ListView Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
There's also this.

Ha. Quite awesome.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

iccarus
posted October 27, 2013 07:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:

Someone posted it on the local mtg facebook group and it felt amazingly accurate.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

caquaa
posted October 27, 2013 11:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
yah, my only problem is I play for multiple reasons. High tide, stax, miracles, and shardless BUG all fit from that flow chart depending on my mood.

I don't have enough guru islands any more, guess I could cross high tide off that list. I don't think shardless BUG is as good as its made out to be after playing it a bunch, so can cross that off. Miracles is along my style, but I think that also falls under hating yourself since sometimes the deck just doesn't do anything. That leaves stax? no thanks...

I want to try something with stifle and daze. Not sure if its RUG, BUG, or UWR... I'll figure it out eventually.

harbingerofthevoid
posted October 28, 2013 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:

I want to try something with stifle and daze. Not sure if its RUG, BUG, or UWR... I'll figure it out eventually.

Stifle'Naught / Delver'Naught or maybe that Varolz, the Scar-Striped combo deck?

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League