Magic Discussion
  Las Vegas Trip (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Las Vegas Trip
thebagman
posted October 03, 2013 04:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thebagman Click Here to Email thebagman Send a private message to thebagman Click to send thebagman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hitting Las Vegas with the wife and best friends the week of Oct12/16.What are the best stores who deal in dealer to dealer trades?I am bringing 5 binders with me of modern and legacy along with 61 fetch(zendikar and onslaught) and 96 shocks plus mox opals etc. We are staying at the Desert Paradise Resort on S Dectaur blvd.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

coolio
posted October 03, 2013 06:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
5 binders.. and that piddly stock of
quote:
61 fetch(zendikar and onslaught) and 96 shocks plus mox opals etc

and you think you're a dealer? pfft hahaha

©

edit: just because you have some cards, that doesnt mean you're a dealer, secondly.. vs a store, you're still on the wrong side of the counter.. they dont have to trade even with you regardless of your self perceived status as a "dealer"

edit 2: not gonna lie, you claim modern/legacy binders, and yet.. the upper end of the cards you opted to highlight are shocks and some fetches? o.O seriously?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

[Edited 2 times, lastly by coolio on October 03, 2013]

Vermilion
posted October 03, 2013 07:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vermilion Click Here to Email Vermilion Send a private message to Vermilion Click to send Vermilion an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vermilion's Have/Want ListView Vermilion's Have/Want List
Going to go with Coolio on this one you are far from having dealer stock.

jbark
posted October 03, 2013 07:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
If this is the guy that I think from local shows. He claims to be a dealer. His prices are at or above scg. But if you talk to him apparently he comes to real life values. Had $250 on a lilly foil and in 2 words came to $180. Just from word around the reading area it seems you buy tons of product at real world value and try to sell high.

Dealers have the ability to get you infinite shocklands and fetches. Also most won't be interested in those unless its cheap.

You'd make more money playing poker than trying to make it off dealers.

Edit 1: that's if your the guy I think you are
Edit 2: if you were a real dealer you'd have no stock of fetches and shocks and have a buy list...

[Edited 2 times, lastly by jbark on October 03, 2013]

superpup
posted October 03, 2013 07:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for superpup Click Here to Email superpup Send a private message to superpup Click to send superpup an Instant MessageVisit superpup's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View superpup's Have/Want ListView superpup's Have/Want List
Well, he's ahead of my LGS! Though I do find the exact counts amusing, instead of just saying a stack of this and a stack of that.

coolio
posted October 03, 2013 07:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by superpup:
Well, he's ahead of my LGS! Though I do find the exact counts amusing, instead of just saying a stack of this and a stack of that.

the counts are what makes this embarrassing

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

jbark
posted October 03, 2013 07:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Wouldn't most dealers not know how many of a hot card they have? This is due to buying and selling so many instead of buying and hoarding.

coolio
posted October 03, 2013 08:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
Wouldn't most dealers not know how many of a hot card they have? This is due to buying and selling so many instead of buying and hoarding.

i mean.. it's during the wk, during downtime, so getting a count is not out of the norm

©

-Seneca the Younger

JayC
posted October 03, 2013 09:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
5 binders.. and that piddly stock of and you think you're a dealer? pfft hahaha

©

edit: just because you have some cards, that doesnt mean you're a dealer, secondly.. vs a store, you're still on the wrong side of the counter.. they dont have to trade even with you regardless of your self perceived status as a "dealer"

edit 2: not gonna lie, you claim modern/legacy binders, and yet.. the upper end of the cards you opted to highlight are shocks and some fetches? o.O seriously?

Why is your response so hateful? I don't get it. Maybe I don't know of past incidents but he seems to just be asking for help on where / what / who?

coolio
posted October 03, 2013 09:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JayC:
Why is your response so hateful? I don't get it. Maybe I don't know of past incidents but he seems to just be asking for help on where / what / who?

it's completely laughable that he thinks himself a dealer, and wants to trade even with a store because of his self perceived status

©

-Seneca the Younger

Animosity
posted October 03, 2013 09:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Animosity Click Here to Email Animosity Send a private message to Animosity Click to send Animosity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
While Coolio comes off a bit harsh he just Laughs at the people on here to claim to be dealers. This guys dealers stock is barely more then my personal play stock. While I do Work for a shop I can tell you they are in the business of making money . You are never going to profit from a dealer on staple cards. You need to have something you got on the cheap maybe from some bulk rares you picked up or a collection . But to think a shop is going to give you any way to make a profit is by all mean laughable. BTW most dealers who do dealer to dealer trades have some sort of lasting relationship ie. see each other at shows have worked together in the past . Random guy claiming to be a dealer just make you a target.

jbark
posted October 03, 2013 09:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
And who takes magic cards to vegas? Too many hookers and blow to play magic.

Vermilion
posted October 03, 2013 09:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vermilion Click Here to Email Vermilion Send a private message to Vermilion Click to send Vermilion an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vermilion's Have/Want ListView Vermilion's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Animosity:
While Coolio comes off a bit harsh he just Laughs at the people on here to claim to be dealers. This guys dealers stock is barely more then my personal play stock. While I do Work for a shop I can tell you they are in the business of making money . You are never going to profit from a dealer on staple cards. You need to have something you got on the cheap maybe from some bulk rares you picked up or a collection . But to think a shop is going to give you any way to make a profit is by all mean laughable. BTW most dealers who do dealer to dealer trades have some sort of lasting relationship ie. see each other at shows have worked together in the past . Random guy claiming to be a dealer just make you a target.

+1

Backpack dealers aren't dealers first of all but they think they are. When you have 30+ of most of the $$$ cards for Modern/Legacy or other formats besides T1 you can consider yourself a dealer. Having 90 Shocks/60 fetches is honestly a joke. I had that many shocks laying around in my inventory from back when Rav was T2 that I forgot about until they went to $15-$20 each. I don't go around saying I'm a dealer because of $10 shocks and $25-$80 fetches.

D'Shay
posted October 03, 2013 09:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
wow..alot of negativity over the word "dealer"..maybe he meant something else *shrugs*

AGO
posted October 03, 2013 10:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
SHOTS FIRED!

nderdog
posted October 03, 2013 11:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by D'Shay:
wow..alot of negativity over the word "dealer"..maybe he meant something else *shrugs*

Pretty hard to misinterpret "stores who deal in dealer to dealer trades" isn't it? It's pretty obvious that he somehow expects to walk into a card shop and get fairly even trades.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

hilikuS
posted October 03, 2013 11:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Wait, so I can't call myself a backpack dealer because I don't have enough crap? Well that's just blah.

Seriously though, I've noticed a trend here when it comes to people who ask for free advice and expect real advice.

First I'm not gonna say I'm the guy who has any right to some sort of chops as a "dealer" or whatever, I know I'm not, but the trend I've noticed is that the guys in the know scoff at the guys who want learn their trade with an MOTL thread.

I expect that coolio has real chops as a guy, as a "dealer". Why would he give out his hard earned education on his business to some guy? Why does some guy have the audacity to ask for it? Basically, do it yourself. It sounds rude, but at the end of the day, nobody wants to reveal their trade secrets. I tend to agree with this mentality.

Also, just realized that I have more shock lands at home...

[Edited 4 times, lastly by hilikuS on October 03, 2013]

GenghisTom
posted October 03, 2013 11:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
And who takes magic cards to vegas? Too many hookers and blow to play magic.

Finally someone said it

Hooskdaddy
posted October 03, 2013 12:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thebagman:
What are the best stores who deal in dealer to dealer trades?

If you were a real dealer you wouldn't have to ask this question

mm1983
posted October 03, 2013 12:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Brick and mortar stores generally have no problem selling off their product within the store or through some other source of online sales either a store website, ebay, or even here on MOTL and because they are a physical store they usually have other things to fall back on and not just magic when magic singles sales appear to be down. Bottom line is gaming stores are in business to make money and if they had to unload old stock somewhere they would not do it unless they were making money. You can buy or trade with a store and still be able to make money while the store makes money.

mcelraca
posted October 03, 2013 02:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
I think I'll stay off the hate train for this person...

But I was curious, what makes you a "dealer"?

Do you need a store?
Certain amount of stock?

One of my local shops has so few singles it's embarrassing, but he does have a shop and deals in magic. I consider him a dealer (just maybe not that good).

I get the point. His question is laughable, but I really didn't expect such harsh responses. I mean... maybe he is trying to get into the business and learning? Maybe he is just clueless, either way, I think you all need to relax a bit.

*EDIT* I'm not trying to be overly righteous with this post... I am actually curious about what makes a dealer.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mcelraca on October 03, 2013]

Lord Crovax
posted October 03, 2013 02:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mcelraca:
I think I'll stay off the hate train for this person...

But I was curious, what makes you a "dealer"?

Do you need a store?
Certain amount of stock?

*EDIT* I'm not trying to be overly righteous with this post... I am actually curious about what makes a dealer.

I'm curious about this as well, interested to see where others place the dealer starting point at..

Vermilion
posted October 03, 2013 05:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vermilion Click Here to Email Vermilion Send a private message to Vermilion Click to send Vermilion an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vermilion's Have/Want ListView Vermilion's Have/Want List
What makes you a dealer is having common sense and knowing market trends as well as having sufficient inventory so you won't need to deal with the sharks that try to run the floor for a dollar or two on every trade. Also knowing who to go to for whatever you want to find and being able to sell anything crazy that may come in at a show. Lastly having the capital to big 25-50 large to a go and not worrying about spending every cent.

revenger
posted October 03, 2013 05:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
I call em a dealer when they can fly somewhere, write a check for 12k for a collection, then go home. Yowerz.

12k would buy me alot of stuff, a car, furniture, kids school clothing, and thats only off the top of my head.

_Revenger

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by revenger on October 03, 2013]

coolio
posted October 03, 2013 05:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
if you have to ask some of the questions that have been asked by those who view themselves as dealers, you're not a dealer.. you're a wannabe

©

-Seneca the Younger

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League