Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  strongest color for prerelease?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   strongest color for prerelease?
MVPScheer123r
posted September 20, 2013 01:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MVPScheer123r Click Here to Email MVPScheer123r Send a private message to MVPScheer123r Click to send MVPScheer123r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MVPScheer123r's Have/Want ListView MVPScheer123r's Have/Want List
What is the strongest color to Play for theros prerelease?

daner
posted September 20, 2013 01:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
They all looked pretty balanced to me. I'd say whatever color you open a bomb in try and work with that first, and if you open multiple bombs in mutiple colors go with the best curve. This looks like a tempo-based limited format. Your gonna want to play things on curve, that's the best advice I can give you.

revenger
posted September 20, 2013 08:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
They all looked pretty balanced to me. I'd say whatever color you open a bomb in try and work with that first, and if you open multiple bombs in mutiple colors go with the best curve. This looks like a tempo-based limited format. Your gonna want to play things on curve, that's the best advice I can give you.

This.

What you pull is what direction you will go.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

Absurd90
posted September 20, 2013 09:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Absurd90 Click Here to Email Absurd90 Send a private message to Absurd90 Click to send Absurd90 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/pvs-playhouse-theros-prerelease/

I personally wanted blue but they were all out so I picked white. And man did I open well, 3 mythics: Elspeth, black gorgon and blue angel that grants another turn if it deals damage. Rest of my deck was defensive creatures and removal. Went 4-1 losing B/W mirror to a guy playing better than me and having more removal.

edit: 1 guy who went 5-0 opened 2 elspeths in his pool

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Absurd90 on September 20, 2013]

ectomanic
posted September 21, 2013 04:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ectomanic Click Here to Email ectomanic Send a private message to ectomanic Click to send ectomanic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Won midnight event playing w/g going 5-1

Decklist
2 leonin snarecaster
2 setessan griffin
1 epharas warden
1ray of dissolution
1 celestial archon (promo)
2 hopeful eidolon
1divine verdict
1 calvary pegasus
1burnished hart
1 leafcrown dryad
1staunch hearted warrior
1 centaur battlemaster
2 order of nylea
4 feral invocation
1 chronicler of heroes
2 fleecemane lion
1 temple of silence
1 unknown shores
7 plains
7 forest

MVPScheer123r
posted September 21, 2013 06:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MVPScheer123r Click Here to Email MVPScheer123r Send a private message to MVPScheer123r Click to send MVPScheer123r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MVPScheer123r's Have/Want ListView MVPScheer123r's Have/Want List
I ended up 5-0 and winning my prerelease playing blue/black. Read the bones was easily the best cars i played all Day.

malefices
posted September 22, 2013 05:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for malefices Click Here to Email malefices Send a private message to malefices Click to send malefices an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View malefices's Have/Want ListView malefices's Have/Want List
white all the way heroic is awesome

coolio
posted September 22, 2013 06:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
blue's the best color, green's the worst

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

KGtheLegend
posted September 22, 2013 11:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for KGtheLegend Click Here to Email KGtheLegend Send a private message to KGtheLegend Click to send KGtheLegend an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:

©

This, although green does have some pretty sweet splash cards.

AEther Storm
posted September 22, 2013 01:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
I 5-0ed my prerelease today, taking Red for my color and adding Blue (got the Bident). I also got the black and white release rares that one could play but didn't have enough support. Small creatures, light removal and (a rare) flawless playday knocked me by all my opponents.

I kinda disagree on Green though, it has some scary monsters that you can lay down quite quickly. It depends on your 2nd color to make it work though.

Sea God's Revenge is my card of the day.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Ovinomancer
posted September 22, 2013 04:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ovinomancer Click Here to Email Ovinomancer Send a private message to Ovinomancer Click to send Ovinomancer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Black hands down. Has the best promo too. Only color the place I play ran out of. Played it 3x over 3 events and went 14-1-2. Liked it paired with red...and I love the B/R minotaurs!!

harbingerofthevoid
posted September 22, 2013 04:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
I played Br with 3 Abhorrent guys. Didn't win every game I landed one. The Mortivore Bestow guy was good 80% of the time.

The 2/3 minotaur w/ haste I had 2 and together they were great.

Seemed I just never had enough removal for all the 4/5 guys G had. That 5cc red spell 4dmg + Scry was great except vs. G.

Scrubbed 1-3-drop

Really wish I had more to go UR with that merfolk R2: Shock as I had 3 of them but my UR creature list beyond that was sad.

G promo was killer vs. me. Pump + swing for x + 3 2/2 lands. ugh.

MeddlingMage
posted September 22, 2013 05:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
My white was amazing. I also pulled an Elspeth and a Hundred-Handed One.

No good cards in another color. 2 or my rare slots were scry dual lands.

Went 2-3. My free pack had a Thassa, so between that and Elspeth, I was happy

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

Bagbokk
posted September 22, 2013 06:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Have/Want ListView Bagbokk's Have/Want List
The last two days reminded me why I get so frustrated at sealed sometimes (and other times really enjoy it). I picked black today and couldn't even build anything in that color; went RW with a solid aggro deck (in a slow format, nonetheless) but had mana issues in like 5 games, going 2-2. I still think black is just awesome here, but I didn't really get a chance to see anything really happen with it.

The best part of this weekend, other than being able to kill about 12-14 hours total with people I don't hate being around, is the fact that I was able to get some good deals on cards/trade for 3 Thoughtseizes, etc.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Bagbokk on September 22, 2013]

Liq
posted September 22, 2013 08:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Liq Click Here to Email Liq Send a private message to Liq Click to send Liq an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Liq's Trade Auction or SaleView Liq's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
They all looked pretty balanced to me. I'd say whatever color you open a bomb in try and work with that first, and if you open multiple bombs in multiple colors go with the best curve. This looks like a tempo-based limited format. Your gonna want to play things on curve, that's the best advice I can give you.

After 3 sealed tournaments, I agree. The colors are pretty balanced, though I'd lean towards Red, given a choice. This format is pretty fast.

<BoltBait> Don't make me kick you
<Slinga> Have no fear, MOTL's janitor is here!
<nderdog> So we're all agreed, it's Liq's fault, right?
<Leshrac> let me deal with that
* Liq has been banned

mcelraca
posted September 23, 2013 08:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
I believe the colors are balanced pretty well. I did UB control and got a decent pool of cards, low on removal though.

1. Milled one person out with Ashiok which was my favorite game.

2. The prerelease kraken was my main finisher. Once it was Monstrous very little could be done, no matter the life totals.

3. Life gain didn't seem to do much in this environment. (see aforementioned kraken)

4. Burnished Hart was probably my MVP. It ramped me up to start dropping my bombs faster and was perfect as a shadow blocker.

5. Bounce mechanics were/are insane! (Bouncing while monstrous was on the stack or an aura loaded creature was great.)

6. While I like the god cards, sealed does not seem to favor them. I played against several gods and each time they were a dead drop. Not one person I played got a devotion of 5 and the other abilities didn't seem to have as much of an influence as needed.

7. I STRONGLY disagree with this being a fast format or block. Don't get me wrong, on occasion my opponent would lay their hand all out immediately, but more often than not I would stabilize and go in for the win. This is nothing compared to the RTR block. I'm so pumped it's slow, my Kraken got to break so many ships!

walkerdog
posted September 23, 2013 08:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mcelraca:
I believe the colors are balanced pretty well. I did UB control and got a decent pool of cards, low on removal though.

1. Milled one person out with Ashiok which was my favorite game.

2. The prerelease kraken was my main finisher. Once it was Monstrous very little could be done, no matter the life totals.

3. Life gain didn't seem to do much in this environment. (see aforementioned kraken)

4. Burnished Hart was probably my MVP. It ramped me up to start dropping my bombs faster and was perfect as a shadow blocker.

5. Bounce mechanics were/are insane! (Bouncing while monstrous was on the stack or an aura loaded creature was great.)

6. While I like the god cards, sealed does not seem to favor them. I played against several gods and each time they were a dead drop. Not one person I played got a devotion of 5 and the other abilities didn't seem to have as much of an influence as needed.

7. I STRONGLY disagree with this being a fast format or block. Don't get me wrong, on occasion my opponent would lay their hand all out immediately, but more often than not I would stabilize and go in for the win. This is nothing compared to the RTR block. I'm so pumped it's slow, my Kraken got to break so many ships!

If the Gods were dead drops, that seems to clash with your next point. They would be pretty good in a slow format, with abilities that cost quite a bit, but let you grind, plus a nice indestructible body if the game goes forever. If the format is fast, then they won't have much impact.

I think the large amounts of fat dudes + quite a few creatures that seem to end, or effectively end the game when they go monstrous, when you bestow, or when you cast them (the black prerelease dude for example) actually makes for a pretty fast format, and one which is hard to have stalls that result in 10-15+ turn games, since one player can probably win the game with one activation of a particular card on the board or in their hand at that point.

mcelraca
posted September 23, 2013 09:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by walkerdog:
If the Gods were dead drops, that seems to clash with your next point. They would be pretty good in a slow format, with abilities that cost quite a bit, but let you grind, plus a nice indestructible body if the game goes forever. If the format is fast, then they won't have much impact.

I think the large amounts of fat dudes + quite a few creatures that seem to end, or effectively end the game when they go monstrous, when you bestow, or when you cast them (the black prerelease dude for example) actually makes for a pretty fast format, and one which is hard to have stalls that result in 10-15+ turn games, since one player can probably win the game with one activation of a particular card on the board or in their hand at that point.

I'll agree the points are contradictory, and may be a result of the type of deck i was running. Most of the time mine and my opponents board states were mostly bare (I was playing control) This prevented the Gods from doing much. This may also be a result of people just being excited to use the gods and splashing them. I think they will shine in Constructed formats.

However, i'll stick by my statements at this being slower than RTR by a great deal. Yes, you have games ending with a Kraken or that Demon, but they are also easy to deal with if you're anticipating them (and you should be). There just seems to me more breathing room compared to the RTR block.

Either way, sealed with this set was a ton of fun and may actually get me to do some drafting.

mm1983
posted September 26, 2013 05:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Where I played at for the prerelease blue was the most popular color so it was the first color to become unavailable however red was having the most match wins among everyone who played in the prerelease for the morning one that I did and I heard the same about the midnight release that they held beforehand. Green and black had the least match wins and then blue and white were both a close 2nd and 3rd but red all around had a total of 4 or 5 more match wins than blue and white. I was one of those who played red with green as my secondary color and ended up going 3 and 2.

JayC
posted September 27, 2013 02:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:

©

You can just tattoo this **** because it always was and it always will be.

Demilio
posted October 02, 2013 09:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
The promo cards for blue and white seemed like the strongest. I went blue first time and then white.. I had bad luck with the sealed pool unfortunately and 2-2 both times. Did a Theros draft last Friday and went U/W (with a daxos) and it was very solid.

James_Hetfield2
posted October 06, 2013 08:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for James_Hetfield2 Click Here to Email James_Hetfield2 Send a private message to James_Hetfield2 Click to send James_Hetfield2 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Did a sealed pool yesterday on MODO, finally opened some decent rares (I have the worst luck on opening weekend).

Ended up G/W heroic type deck, but not sure it was the right build. I think I needed to be white, but considered blue and black splashes, before choosing green. Ended up 3-1, had decent mana most the night and played okay.

I sided out the heroic stuff most games and brought in stuff like Nylea's Presence, Horizon Chimera and Agent of Horizons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45329373@N03/10119192064/

Anyone have built it differently?

edit: Prophet of Kruphix was insane! He won me probably half my games.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by James_Hetfield2 on October 06, 2013]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League