Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Canada Duty

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Canada Duty
John Cox
posted September 19, 2013 03:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for John Cox Click Here to Email John Cox Send a private message to John Cox Click to send John Cox an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if Canada charges duty/tax on cards from the U.S. (SCG in particular)? I've never had to pay any in the past but that's been on relatively small orders.

Atahualpa
posted September 19, 2013 04:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Atahualpa Click Here to Email Atahualpa Send a private message to Atahualpa Click to send Atahualpa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Atahualpa's Have/Want ListView Atahualpa's Have/Want List
As Magic cards are printed in the USA, there shouldn't be duty. That said, if the value of the shipment is large enough they might bother to stop and assess the owing sales tax. However, I have bought orders up to $1000 in value where that was declared by the shipper (many stores under-declare on the shipping manifest) and never been assessed the taxes.

John Cox
posted September 19, 2013 04:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for John Cox Click Here to Email John Cox Send a private message to John Cox Click to send John Cox an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks

stab107
posted September 19, 2013 04:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
The only item I can recall being charged duty on in the last two years was a shipment of 6 booster boxes coming up from the US and I only had to pay GST on that, I believe. I have had a number of $200+ orders of singles come through and duty/GST has not yet been applied to those.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted September 19, 2013 05:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want ListView Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want List
I think that if they're singles, they should count as "used" in virtue of being opened and therefore not get hit with a duty.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

WeedIan
posted September 19, 2013 05:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
It can happen but its not very likely.

9th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Volcanon
posted September 20, 2013 01:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You have to pay GST + PST if the seller declares the value on stuff over $100 or so.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Volcanon on September 20, 2013]

Chronos313
posted September 22, 2013 04:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Chronos313 Click Here to Email Chronos313 Send a private message to Chronos313 Click to send Chronos313 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Chronos313's Have/Want ListView Chronos313's Have/Want List
sealed products being shipped to Canada that are unopened are subject to taxes. So if you buy any unopened booster packs and they are declared as such by the shipper, duty would in theory have to be paid.

sys41o
posted September 23, 2013 07:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I just redeemed 4 sets (WotC declared each set at $75) directly from WotC and I paid GST only. FedFx charged me some bs "Rod" fee to carry the package after I paid Wizards $30 for shipping. There was no duty on the package.

Remember that the limit for 48 hour cross border shopping is now $500 or $700. I believe that is applicable to mail order shopping as well.

sys41o
posted September 23, 2013 07:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sealed products being shipped to Canada that are unopened are subject to taxes. So if you buy any unopened booster packs and they are declared as such by the shipper, duty would in theory have to be paid.

Ultimately it is a business transaction so if the store you are buying from declares the value as a purchase you will probably have to pay GST. In the past I have paid for GST on some purchase while others I have not paid GST. It all depends on how the customs card is filled out.

stab107
posted September 24, 2013 04:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
I just received a package of singles from a shop in the US with a value of $175 marked on the box. Customs charged me GST and a $9.95 handling fee, total of $18.98. I have had other orders come through without issue, so I am wondering if this is random?

sys41o
posted September 25, 2013 09:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
I just received a package of singles from a shop in the US with a value of $175 marked on the box. Customs charged me GST and a $9.95 handling fee, total of $18.98. I have had other orders come through without issue, so I am wondering if this is random?

Not random but anytime that customs handles the package they will charge that fee. BS but there is little that one can do about it unless they can convince the shipper to declare the package as a gift.

jaromirjagr
posted September 25, 2013 10:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Send a private message to jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jaromirjagr's Have/Want ListView jaromirjagr's Have/Want List
it all depends on who you deal with.Some people know what its like to be dinged with fees and will be nice and cooperate with you by not filling in a value,put gift $20 on the customs form.Some people think they are somekind of super patriot and say"I will not lie on the customs form."Just be selective on who you deal with.Also,make sure they ship usps not ups.Ups packages will go to some third party packaging joint and you will pay a brokerage fee.

Volcanon
posted September 26, 2013 12:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sys41o:
Not random but anytime that customs handles the package they will charge that fee. BS but there is little that one can do about it unless they can convince the shipper to declare the package as a gift.

That's why you don't get them to declare the value. It doesn't even make sense for them to do it when they aren't getting insurance or something.

jbark
posted September 26, 2013 03:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
If a US sender uses FMCI large envelope shipping to Canada there is no customs form. Thus no declaration.

Mr.C
posted September 28, 2013 01:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:

Did they ship through UPS or FedEx?

stab107
posted September 28, 2013 03:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
Did they ship through UPS or FedEx?

USPS.

Mr.C
posted September 30, 2013 08:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
USPS.

Weird, only time I got charged duty was with a T&T order.

mtgfinancing
posted October 06, 2013 03:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtgfinancing Send a private message to mtgfinancing Click to send mtgfinancing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtgfinancing's Trade Auction or SaleView mtgfinancing's Trade Auction or Sale
I got hit by customs 2 times before for shipments from US to Canada, both times the seller declared the value to customs, and both were $80+ in value. I don't believe they care if the item is sealed or not, as long as it's declared as a sold item with a high value, people look at it and charge a customs fee. One of packages I bought were loose cards.

I agree that the handling fee is BS. It has nothing to do with the shipping company (USPS or Canada post), apparently its the customs office not liking that money is leaking from the Canadian economy so they punish imported purchases with this handling fee. Charging Canadians a handling fee so the government officers (that are paid salary from our taxes) to charge us more tax just doesn't add up.

The only thing you can do is ask the American sellers to mark the mailed package as a gift, or mark the value as <$80. It gets repetitive and tedious if you make many purchases from the states though.

I believe some sellers declare it because they have some insurance ($100?) with the method of shipment. So if the buyer says the item was not received/damaged, the seller can reclaim some amount of the package value back from the shipping company.

Some large online card sellers are ok with marking packages as gifts, just send them an email before your purchase.

Hope this helps

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League