Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  USA Canada Transaction

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   USA Canada Transaction
headumpire
posted September 23, 2013 06:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Just trying to get some advice here on my possible upcoming trip to Canada.

I have a contact in Canada who am in the process of making a giant deal with. Probably near 2-3 million MTG and Pokemon cards.

I obviously would like to go pick the cards up, as shipping would be in the multiple thousands of dollars.

My plan as of now is to fly out to him, rent a uhaul, and drive it back to my location in Wisconsin. Here are my questions...

1) Would you all think this is the most cost efficient way to do this transaction?
2) How would everyone treat the money side? Bank transfer is the best way i assume once i receive the cards of course?
3) Will i be subject to any duties coming back across the USA border?
4) Is there anything that i am not considering here?

dwiz
posted September 23, 2013 06:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
Don't you need the export customs declaration? You're going to get searched at the border, so there's no way you can get through without declaring. I'm not sure what the rate is for customs.

headumpire
posted September 23, 2013 07:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Don't you need the export customs declaration? You're going to get searched at the border, so there's no way you can get through without declaring. I'm not sure what the rate is for customs.

Ok yea I have no idea about this kind of process. Any more info on this? What would I need to do?

sys41o
posted September 23, 2013 07:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Are you doing this as a person or a business? If all of your invoices / payment information are under a business name then I would definitely speak with or even hire a customs broker and see what needs to be done.

If you are going about this as a individual person just make sure you declare everything because you are going to get questioned. Keep all of the receipts and even take printed copies of the deal making communications with you to prove any declared value that you will put.

The most guaranteed way that you can avoid major issues is to just speak with customs people. I know Customs generally is tough to get a hold of by phone but if you live near a small international airport then drive out there and speak to them in person. I know when I lived in Rochester, MN there was a small customs office at the airport and they were easy to speak as long as you could get to them during their hours.

Also choose your port of entry well. You didn't mention which province you are going to but picking a smaller port of entry may be better because that way if you have issues the customs officials won't be less annoyed by any missing or incomplete paper work. Of course this is kind of catch 22 because you could risk going to a big crossing and just get waived through because they are more concerned with the commercial traffic.

However unless there is someone on this site that makes these kinds of purchases regularly speak to the customs office or a customs broker. Think about it; all businesses in Canada that want to buy directly from Wizards of the Coast need to have a customs broker. There is a reason company's hire them and the price isn't that much.

Custom broker fees are not that expensive. The company that I work for bought a $10,000 machine and imported it to Canada. Using the FedEx broker service cost $55 USD. $55 USD on $10 grand; Not that expensive and it can save you a lot of hassle.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by sys41o on September 23, 2013]

junichi
posted September 24, 2013 11:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sys41o:
Custom broker fees are not that expensive. The company that I work for bought a $10,000 machine and imported it to Canada. Using the FedEx broker service cost $55 USD. $55 USD on $10 grand; Not that expensive and it can save you a lot of hassle.

This.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League