Magic Discussion
  the best... (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   the best...
redrox
posted September 19, 2013 02:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for redrox Click Here to Email redrox Send a private message to redrox Click to send redrox an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View redrox's Have/Want ListView redrox's Have/Want List
hello every I want to know what you think is the best of each card type. Some might be easier then others so tell me what you think.

KIP_NZ
posted September 19, 2013 02:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Click Here to Email KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redrox:
hello every I want to know what you think is the best of each card type. Some might be easier then others so tell me what you think.

Instant: Ancestral Recall
Sorcery: Time Walk or Minds Desire
Artifact: Black Lotus
Creature: Griselbrand
Planeswalker: Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Enchantment: Necropotance

Goaswerfraiejen
posted September 19, 2013 04:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want ListView Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want List
Land: Island (sorry, someone had to do it!)

Alternately, my vote would probably go to Misty Rainforest or Polluted Delta.

Tribal: Bitterblossom

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

GenghisTom
posted September 19, 2013 08:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
A fetch land over Library, Workshop, and Bazaar?

redrox
posted September 19, 2013 09:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for redrox Click Here to Email redrox Send a private message to redrox Click to send redrox an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View redrox's Have/Want ListView redrox's Have/Want List
let's get more people to talk about it

Jazaray
posted September 19, 2013 10:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Spiritmonger. Definitely.

You MOTL old timers should get that one

Thanks,
Jazaray

daner
posted September 20, 2013 12:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Instant: Force of Will
Sorcery: Yawgmoth's Will/Mind's Desire
Artifact: Sol Ring/Black Lotus/Memory Jar
Creature: Dark Confidant/Deathrite Shaman/Griselbrand
Planeswalker: Jace, the Mind Sculptor/Liliana of the Veil
Enchantment: Survival of the Fittest/Necropotence/Yawgmoth's Bargain
Land: Tolarian Academy/Library of Alexandria
Tribal:Bitterblossom

I listed what I thoguht wer ethe best cards...and frankly only two categories have clear cut winner to me. Every choice can easily be debated, except for Tribal - Bitterblossom, which has no real stiff compettition. The other being Instant - Force of Will. Over the many years of playing Magic I've learned one true, ever important thing....this card single-handedly SAVED MTG. This isn't just the card that holds older formats together...it's the card that held MTG together for years and years. I truly believe that if this card had never been printed we wouldn't be talking about MTG today. With all the degenerate things that have happened over the years this was the one check/balance card that kept the game "fair". I might not rank it the "best" card ever...but it's certainly damn close if not #1, and it's probably the most important card ever printed for MTG. In fact...yea, I'd probably have a hard time arguing the importance or that a single card in MTG is better. It's just the best, most important, most nesscessary card that could have ever been printed...and it's "fair".

Volcanon
posted September 20, 2013 12:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Best card named "Bitterblossom" : Bitterblossom

mm1983
posted September 20, 2013 04:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by daner:

Instant: Force of Will
Sorcery: Yawgmoth's Will/Mind's Desire
Artifact: Sol Ring/Black Lotus/Memory Jar
Creature: Dark Confidant/Deathrite Shaman/Griselbrand
Planeswalker: Jace, the Mind Sculptor/Liliana of the Veil
Enchantment: Survival of the Fittest/Necropotence/Yawgmoth's Bargain
Land: Tolarian Academy/Library of Alexandria
Tribal:Bitterblossom

I listed what I thoguht wer ethe best cards...and frankly only two categories have clear cut winner to me. Every choice can easily be debated, except for Tribal - Bitterblossom, which has no real stiff compettition. The other being Instant - Force of Will. Over the many years of playing Magic I've learned one true, ever important thing....this card single-handedly SAVED MTG. This isn't just the card that holds older formats together...it's the card that held MTG together for years and years. I truly believe that if this card had never been printed we wouldn't be talking about MTG today. With all the degenerate things that have happened over the years this was the one check/balance card that kept the game "fair". I might not rank it the "best" card ever...but it's certainly damn close if not #1, and it's probably the most important card ever printed for MTG. In fact...yea, I'd probably have a hard time arguing the importance or that a single card in MTG is better. It's just the best, most important, most nesscessary card that could have ever been printed...and it's "fair".

I agree with Force of Will being the card to single-handedly holding MTG together for 20+ years. There are always situational cards that will be better than Force of Will in certain situations. One that comes to mind for me is Misdirection. Only thing worse for your opponent than countering their spell at no mana cost is to have it be played against them at no mana cost. Tarmogoyf and Arcbound Ravager should be on the list for best creatures though I still agree with your list of best creatures. I would maybe add Wasteland and Gaea's Cradle to the land list but other than that your list looks good.

Heresy19
posted September 20, 2013 05:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Heresy19 Click Here to Email Heresy19 Send a private message to Heresy19 Click to send Heresy19 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Heresy19's Have/Want ListView Heresy19's Have/Want List
Artifact: Ashnod's Coupon

Won a big tournament in Ottawa because it was "Legal" to cast it there (unhinged release).

"Go get me a beer kiddo"
"I can't, I'm only 16"
"GG"

Ahhhh good memories

AEther Storm
posted September 20, 2013 06:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Heresy19:
Won a big tournament in Ottawa because it was "Legal" to cast it there (unhinged release).

"Go get me a beer kiddo"
"I can't, I'm only 16"
"GG"

LOL, that would be hilarious!

On topic: This is pretty circumstantial. It depends what you're playing really (see comment of mm1983 about FoW).

For me, a case could be made for Morphling. Superman got screwed by the new combat rules. Mana Drain for Instant, etc. It all depends really.

Edit:
Best Artwork: AEther Storm!

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AEther Storm on September 20, 2013]

jbark
posted September 20, 2013 06:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
In my opinion lightning bolt should be included as a top instant. The card is and will always be played.

Instant- FOW, lightning bolt
Sorcery- mind's desire, yawg will
Artifact - lion's eye diamond
Enchantment- heartbeat of spring
Creature- tarmogoyf, emrakul
Aura - rancor
Land- wasteland, fetches

Anyone could say power for artifact but LED is just so good. And heartbeat was for me the main enchantment that stood out. It was a force in block and standard when I played it. And the art is awesome. Fetch lands changed the game. The ability to play 3-4 colors and run successfully changed the game a lot. And rancor is just well rancor.

redrox
posted September 20, 2013 08:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for redrox Click Here to Email redrox Send a private message to redrox Click to send redrox an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View redrox's Have/Want ListView redrox's Have/Want List
ok guys let change it up, get you thinking a bit(well I hope) ok if your board was clear other then lands, what would you consider the best and the only card in hand was the one your casting, what do your choices change to

Boston
posted September 20, 2013 01:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Boston Click Here to Email Boston Send a private message to Boston Click to send Boston an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Boston's Have/Want ListView Boston's Have/Want List
quote:
ok guys let change it up, get you thinking a bit(well I hope) ok if your board was clear other then lands, what would you consider the best and the only card in hand was the one your casting, what do your choices change to

Yawgmoth's Bargain/Griselbrand.

Schwingzilla
posted September 20, 2013 01:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Schwingzilla Click Here to Email Schwingzilla Send a private message to Schwingzilla Click to send Schwingzilla an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Door to Nothingness? zobviously

redrox
posted September 20, 2013 02:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for redrox Click Here to Email redrox Send a private message to redrox Click to send redrox an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View redrox's Have/Want ListView redrox's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Schwingzilla:
Door to Nothingness? zobviously

and the other cars types?

junichi
posted September 20, 2013 03:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Power level wise, Contract from Below is by far the best sorcery/card ever printed.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

isetfire
posted September 20, 2013 04:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:
Instant: Ancestral Recall
Sorcery: Time Walk or Minds Desire
Artifact: Black Lotus
Creature: Griselbrand
Planeswalker: Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Enchantment: Necropotance

i agree with this, but would change enchantment to oath of druids or yawgmoths bargain. and change sorcery to minds desire or yagmoths will.

GenghisTom
posted September 20, 2013 07:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think Black Lotus's power is irrefutable, so 2nd best would be skullclamp imo

harbingerofthevoid
posted September 20, 2013 09:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Boston:
Yawgmoth's Bargain/Griselbrand.

Either one. If my mana base was 2 lands, Lim-Dűl's Vault.

KIP_NZ
posted September 21, 2013 12:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Click Here to Email KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by isetfire:
i agree with this, but would change enchantment to oath of druids or yawgmoths bargain. and change sorcery to minds desire or yagmoths will.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the Will. Bargain is just the "Fixed" Necro so Necro will always be top of my list.

KIP_NZ
posted September 21, 2013 12:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Click Here to Email KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Impossible to answer, how much mana do I have, how big is my graveyard, what's the storm count at?

oneofchaos
posted September 21, 2013 01:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Real men don't play spells to win. Just a Valakut and a bunch of mountains will get there eventually.

redrox
posted September 21, 2013 07:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for redrox Click Here to Email redrox Send a private message to redrox Click to send redrox an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View redrox's Have/Want ListView redrox's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
Real men don't play spells to win. Just a Valakut and a bunch of mountains will get there eventually.

true, true so what are your favorite cards?

ermabwed
posted September 21, 2013 09:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ermabwed Click Here to Email ermabwed Send a private message to ermabwed Click to send ermabwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ermabwed's Have/Want ListView ermabwed's Have/Want List
Thawing Glaciers and Terrain Generator, obviously. Valakut goes the distance!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by ermabwed on September 21, 2013]

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League