Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  problem with distributor

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   problem with distributor
Hooskdaddy
posted October 24, 2013 09:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I bought 3 cases of return to ravnica yesterday. They all came from the same distributor. I started busting them last night.
After first case, zero death rites zero jaces, 6-8 of most of the crap rares, 8shocks(5 steam vents) pplay set of most of the crap mythics.
I dismissed it as just a horrific run on the print run. I started opening the second case. I got to about box 3 of the second case with more of the same and I caught a glance of something. On the packs there's a line running vertical on the front that looks like a crimp where the top and bottom normallly get sealed it looks like a crimp. But this is running vertically down the middle of the pack on the front and its smooth and flat. I took a picture and can post it later.
Anyways I finished opening that case and called wizards. They said" there's no known distribution errors in that set"
So I'm suspecting fowl play at this point. After two cases, 15-18 of most crap rates, zero jaces, 2 death rites, 2 foil rares.
I opened the third case and opened the first box to check to see if the packs look crimped. They didn't and I opened them. Everything on that case was fine.

So my question is what can I do at this point? I paid $1000 for those two cases and only got maybe $400 worth of value from it.
I feel like they were tampered with. Has anyone ran into this issue? How to proceed?

Pail42
posted October 24, 2013 09:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This could just be especially rotten luck, but it will be more difficult to prove any sort of tampering now that everything is open.

Did the WoTC shrink wrap on the bad boxes look suspicious?

Hooskdaddy
posted October 24, 2013 09:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah I have a pic of that too. The shrink wrap was shriveled some places like it had been replaced. Also the wizards logo was only on top half of the boxes. I'm not positive but I think the wizards logo is all the way around...

CaribooLegend
posted October 24, 2013 10:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CaribooLegend Send a private message to CaribooLegend Click to send CaribooLegend an Instant MessageVisit CaribooLegend's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
When you say "distributor" do you mean retail distributor to the public or wholesaler distributor? If the latter, this could have serious repercussions on stores like us who buy many many cases. Can you please clarify? Thanks!

mm1983
posted October 24, 2013 10:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Your average case should have 1 of every or at least most mythics and 2 of some mythics with possibly 3 of a mythic. Rares should be at least 3 of most any rare with possibly as many as 6 of a same rare. This can happen by pulling the same rare out of each box in the case. Foil rare/mythic rare should be 1 per box average though I have had boxes with none and others with 2 or 3 on a very rare occasion. Mythics per box are anywhere from 3 to 7 per box not counting the possibility of a foil mythic rare.

A1phaMale
posted October 24, 2013 10:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
Please post pics and identify the distributor. I can check my sealed RTR boxes when I get home and see if the Wizards logos goes all the way around which i believe it does.

AGO
posted October 24, 2013 10:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Hooskdaddy:
Yeah I have a pic of that too. The shrink wrap was shriveled some places like it had been replaced. Also the wizards logo was only on top half of the boxes. I'm not positive but I think the wizards logo is all the way around...

Yet you opened the entire case....

If they had been suspect why would you do this.

If they were trying to rip you. You did exactly what they wanted you to do. Open them all and whine about a bad pull. You screwed yourself by opening the cards. If the shrink wrap was bad your evidence was right there....

Bagbokk
posted October 24, 2013 01:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Have/Want ListView Bagbokk's Have/Want List
Your boxes seem suspicious from the pulls you describe, but I'm not sure there's any way to tell if it's just bad luck at this point. I do know that RTR boxes are extremely hit or miss the last time I opened them. Sometimes pull two JAOTs and 4 shocklands and a Deathrite, sometimes pull 2 shocklands and a load of bulk. But any bad (or good) luck should have balanced out in two cases.

Also, I checked my sealed RTR boxes, the wizards logo is only on the top half of the box and doesn't go all around.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Bagbokk on October 24, 2013]

CaribooLegend
posted October 24, 2013 02:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CaribooLegend Send a private message to CaribooLegend Click to send CaribooLegend an Instant MessageVisit CaribooLegend's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
There IS weird distribution in this set...I have opened whole cases with no Master of Waves OR Thassa in them. And then opened other cases with like 3 of each.

when we got our original allotment we opened 6 cases for our trade binder and ended up with 7 Nighthowler, of all rares, but 14 Ashiok.

Louisboy
posted October 24, 2013 02:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Louisboy Click Here to Email Louisboy Send a private message to Louisboy Click to send Louisboy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaribooLegend:
There IS weird distribution in this set...I have opened whole cases with no Master of Waves OR Thassa in them. And then opened other cases with like 3 of each.

when we got our original allotment we opened 6 cases for our trade binder and ended up with 7 Nighthowler, of all rares, but 14 Ashiok.

Pretty sure the topic is about Return to Ravnica not Theros.... I will check my boxes when I get home. I am pretty sure that the Wizards logo is only half of the shrinkwrap.

paragondave
posted October 24, 2013 08:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Sounds like you got screwed. I'd sue Wizards.

Ryusei24
posted October 24, 2013 09:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ryusei24 Click Here to Email Ryusei24 Send a private message to Ryusei24 Click to send Ryusei24 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Ryusei24's Have/Want ListView Ryusei24's Have/Want List
Isn't it normal for the shrink wrap to sometimes be shriveled? They use some heat thing to seal it after all...

I agree with Pail42 in thinking that its probably just a case of really bad luck...like, you know, when my Chinese boxes of Innistrad just disappeared last time...

Hooskdaddy
posted October 25, 2013 12:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryusei24:
Isn't it normal for the shrink wrap to sometimes be shriveled? They use some heat thing to seal it after all...

I agree with Pail42 in thinking that its probably just a case of really bad luck...like, you know, when my Chinese boxes of Innistrad just disappeared last time...

Now if only wizards would give me half my money back....like, you know, I sent you half when I didn't have to.

AGO
posted October 25, 2013 05:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Shots Fired!

WeedIan
posted October 25, 2013 06:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
Sounds like you got screwed. I'd sue Wizards.

Like i do to the lotto companies when i don't win on my scratch tickets.

8th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Louisboy
posted October 25, 2013 12:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Louisboy Click Here to Email Louisboy Send a private message to Louisboy Click to send Louisboy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My boxes don't have the logo all the way around the box. Same as Bagbokk above. Not sure if that helps or not. Do you have pics of the boxes that are in question? or cases rather

JayC
posted October 25, 2013 02:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As a comparison, this is the case I opened a couple weeks ago that I bought from that shop in Illinois...

1 Case:

16 Shocks
3 Deathrite Shamans
2 Jace
3 Sphinx
6 Rift
5 Verdict
6 Dreadbore
5 Sphere
6x Troll
4x Loxodon Hierarch
5x Ash Zealot
1x FOIL Ash Zealot
5x Precinct Captain
1x FOIL Precinct Captain
1x Rakdos Return

xX Bad Rares
xX Weak Mythics
xX Useless Foil Commons / Uncommons

[Edited 2 times, lastly by JayC on October 25, 2013]

Hooskdaddy
posted October 25, 2013 03:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
But no mystery thief stole your cases of RTR. You just got righteously hosed upon opening them, right? Seriously, I think you're just going to have to take this one. I don't think WotC has a mod who will side with you on who's at fault. Oh well, win some, lose some. Life goes on.

Yup. Win some, lose some Dave. Trick is trying not to be butthurt about it to the point it consumes your life and feeling the need to bring it up at every...single...instance because you have nothing better to do?

Ever felt that way?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Hooskdaddy on October 25, 2013]

paragondave
posted October 25, 2013 04:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Hooskdaddy:
Yup. Win some, lose some Dave. Trick is trying not to be butthurt about it to the point it consumes your life and feeling the need to bring it up at every...single...instance because you have nothing better to do?

Ever felt that way?

Nope, my cases have always been awesome! And I've never been ripped because I only trade with the best of people but thanks for your concern. I'm REALLY sorry about your crappy cases. That really chaps my hide! I think you should hire a lawyer, a really good one and give it to ol' WOTC! Show them who they're messin' with!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paragondave on October 25, 2013]

paragondave
posted October 25, 2013 04:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Never had to start a thread about how much my butt hurts over the 3 cases I opened with nothing good. Boo!

nderdog
posted October 25, 2013 04:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
The trolling stops now.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League