Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  New member: questions about selling legacy stuff

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New member: questions about selling legacy stuff
leiweiling
posted September 03, 2013 11:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for leiweiling Send a private message to leiweiling Click to send leiweiling an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I have a collection of legacy cards that I've never really had time to play with, and I've moved to the States temporarily from Australia and want to sell most of them. I used to trade cards on an Australian site so I know about refs.

Couple of questions:
1) I'm willing to send first to people with a decent number of refs...how many refs do you think is safe?
2) Around how much is insurance? The most valuable cards I have are tundras/force of will/etc. so I'm assuming it would be worthwhile to insure.
3) What payment method do people normally use? I'm not sure I trust checks - in Australia we usually did direct deposit.
4) Is the price guide on this site typically what people use?

Thanks in advance for reading/replying!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by leiweiling on September 03, 2013]

SageShadows
posted September 03, 2013 12:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SageShadows Click Here to Email SageShadows Send a private message to SageShadows Click to send SageShadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View SageShadows's Have/Want ListView SageShadows's Have/Want List
1) I wouldn't settle for anything less than 100. There's a third party trader list here if you want a middleman who has lots of ref and will handle your cards and wait until money comes in before sending it out. http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/016986.html

2) I think insurance is done as a percentage of the card cost (usually in the 2-3 dollar range?) I'm not too sure on this one; I almost never get insurance. US Postal is generally good on that, but if you're dealing with cards of that value, insurance seems cheap and safe.

3) Paypal gift is the most used method of payment here. You can request Paypal non-gift, but there are fees involved and either you lose out on about 4% or you have the person pay that extra 4% (raising your prices).

4) Don't use the price guide. Go by eBay completed listings.

coasterdude84
posted September 03, 2013 01:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SageShadows:
1) I wouldn't settle for anything less than 100.

This is a little excessive I think. I'd have no issue paying first/simul-sending with someone who has 30 refs. However, the 3rd party list is a good way to go if you're not otherwise comfortable.

SageShadows
posted September 03, 2013 01:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SageShadows Click Here to Email SageShadows Send a private message to SageShadows Click to send SageShadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View SageShadows's Have/Want ListView SageShadows's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by coasterdude84:
This is a little excessive I think. I'd have no issue paying first/simul-sending with someone who has 30 refs. However, the 3rd party list is a good way to go if you're not otherwise comfortable.

Normally, I'd agree, but for legacy staples, a higher threshhold is probably better. At the very least 50. Also it's important to note if the references are recent - some people have been hacking old, unused accounts and claiming they have high references.

leiweiling
posted September 03, 2013 01:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for leiweiling Send a private message to leiweiling Click to send leiweiling an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ok, thanks a lot for the help!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League