Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  MTG Story

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   MTG Story
hufa97
posted August 30, 2013 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hufa97 Send a private message to hufa97 Click to send hufa97 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hufa97's Have/Want ListView hufa97's Have/Want List
It was a perfect late morning on August 30th, 2013 as I traveled to Renton, WA to visit the MTG headquarters from my hotel room. Being an older man, I was as excited as a young child waiting for Santa to see the tree full of gifts. After a car ride of nearly an hour and a half I arrived to a large silver building. I parked and walked in and I entered the elevator. The button for the 4th floor didn’t depress. As I exited the elevator, another young man had appeared who had traveled from Buffalo, NY and was also visiting the office. Four MTG employees passed us in the lobby and stated that the MTG office was close due to the PAX Convention. Earlier in the morning I called the MTG phone number and there was no mention of the office closing. I basically begged the employees to be allowed to just see the office where the “magic” of MTG happens. Sadly it was not to be.

Filled with a mixture of sadness and anger I headed back to my hotel room; it was the day before I was to travel back out east possibly never stepping foot in the office of the game company whose products I adore. For nearly the hour and half drive back, I sat quietly contemplating how foolish I felt to have traveled all that way without knowing the office was closed and then begging to just set my eyes on cube walls and merchandise on shelves. But it would have been awesome. If for not this morning episode, I would not have experienced the wonderful time later in the day with a young man named Steven.

I brought two of my standard decks nearly 3000 miles to possibly pay to play at an FNM but as I pulled into my hotel, I remembered that a local MTG store held a free FNM from 2-6 in the afternoon where one can bring their decks and just play and have a great time. I decided to go to the free FNM even though I had no intention of doing anything MTG related that evening. As I entered the tiny store named humorously, Dragon’s Hoard, I saw a couple of tables and a few members of the military playing magic. I also saw a young man standing as if waiting for someone to ask him to play. I sat down and who I assume was his father asked if anyone wanted to play MTG with Steven who was deaf, had difficulty speaking, and was very new to the game. I instantly jumped at the opportunity to play MTG with Steven. In many regards we were very similar since we were new to the store, unfamiliar with the local players, and excited to play.

Steven was shy and his speech was difficult to understand at first. During the four hours of play Steven had grasped many of the intricacies of the MTG game and he was coming out of his shell. We laughed, we exchanged disgust as creatures were destroyed or cards were milled, but most of all we had a great time. And to top it all off, the owner of the store gave Steven a free playmat while I bought him sleeves for his cards. The time I had with Steven in that store made my pettiness of not seeing the MTG headquarters ridiculously sophomoric. Steven was a very novice MTG player, having a great time playing the game that he loved being treated so kindly by the playing community at that tiny little local store. He was a mirror image of me and many of us in the MTG community when we first started playing and it reminded me how terrific individuals can be and how wonderful the game is when it brings people together. In conclusion, Steven I am sorry I played Tome Scour so many times and always untap first on your turn.

Anyone else have a similar feel good story?

ravidell
posted September 01, 2013 12:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ravidell Click Here to Email ravidell Send a private message to ravidell Click to send ravidell an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ravidell's Have/Want ListView ravidell's Have/Want List
First off, Good story. I read this yesterday before the GPT I went to. Started the day off feeling pretty good. Now on to my story...

I went to a tournament many, many, years ago in a little town about half hour from my place. It was a type 1 tournament, so I took "long." Well it was very casual and no one other than me had power, first round I went against a girl plying Angels.... As you can guess I won every round very very quickly. So in the finals I may have made some very "rookie" mistakes and let the mono black random deck eek out the win. I felt bad for playing the deck I did, but had no idea it was going to be a casual tournament with a bunch of kids. I'm sure the kid was all the rage of his friends for a long time. Taking down the outsider. The store closed very shortly after that event (not sure why) but I hope the kid still plays. I'll never forget the look on his face when I scooped up my FBB duals, Moxen, and all that stuff. I shook his hand and said "good game." He was stunned, almost speechless. I don't think at the time he knew I tanked the game, hopefully he never did or will. The store owner knew what I did and shot me a lil smile. I may not have won the $35 or whatever prize was in store credit, but I drove home feeling feeling good about the play mistakes I made in the final round.

KGtheLegend
posted September 01, 2013 03:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KGtheLegend Click Here to Email KGtheLegend Send a private message to KGtheLegend Click to send KGtheLegend an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing that story hufa97. I've been having a rough couple of days and your story put a smile on my face.

ogre
posted September 01, 2013 09:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ogre Click Here to Email ogre Send a private message to ogre Click to send ogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ogre's Have/Want ListView ogre's Have/Want List
The most I get to play anymore is a draft on Tuesday, maybe a couple of GP's a year and a handful of local tourney's. That being said, the casual games of Magic that actually got me into playing, and of course collecting, are few and far between any more, this except my one buddy who is deaf and has a speech impediment too. Every other weekend or so we play a few games of EDH, that in and of it self brings a great appreciation back to the game that has been long lost to net decking and whatever tormented form standard decks have become.

All said, there was once a time where a kid looking to get a few games in at a tournament in a place far from his usual stomping grounds was a little intimidated by his surroundings, but after 19 years I guess I've seen more than most

Jesse

JoshSherman
posted September 01, 2013 09:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I went to a 1PM FNM a couple weeks ago and got paired against a ten year old in the last round. He was new to Magic, and I had a lot of fun helping him and just chatting. I took the match 2-1, at one life when I stabilized game three. That in itself was epic. Overall it was a really fun time.

The only thing I felt a little bad about was that I could tell I was boring him with my deck. I was playing curses and had no quick wincon. I had just enough removal to deal with his dudes. So he spent a lot of time holding 1 toughness dudes in his hand because of Curse of Death's Hold. I didn't really put the deck together with ten year old opponents in mind.

KGtheLegend
posted September 01, 2013 10:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KGtheLegend Click Here to Email KGtheLegend Send a private message to KGtheLegend Click to send KGtheLegend an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshSherman:
The only thing I felt a little bad about was that I could tell I was boring him with my deck. I was playing curses and had no quick wincon. I had just enough removal to deal with his dudes. So he spent a lot of time holding 1 toughness dudes in his hand because of Curse of Death's Hold. I didn't really put the deck together with ten year old opponents in mind.

Boo, you're such a bully

B14ckM4g3
posted September 02, 2013 12:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I like these stories. Dem feels

ermabwed
posted September 02, 2013 09:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ermabwed Click Here to Email ermabwed Send a private message to ermabwed Click to send ermabwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ermabwed's Have/Want ListView ermabwed's Have/Want List
You never really think about those design problems in advance. Many years ago I remember playing an Italian Mana Drain against a kid who was maybe 8. I've probably sleeved up only a dozen foreign cards in as many years since that day.

ardeay
posted September 04, 2013 11:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
Hufs, that story warmed my heart.

This is from my child hood, I'm coming up on thirty.

I played right when 4th came out, as a kid. I loved the game, the challenge, trading, deck building, and the thrill of the win. I'd shovel driveways to save up for a dual land ($5-10 dollars). I remember my big purchase was a royal assassin $12. Then I got a Serra angel through ante, big win! No sleeves back then my friends older brothers had moxes and great cards, but I managed a deck to beat them. White blue, counter spells control magics, twiddles, unsummons, Serra angel, binding grasp, dance of many, a time elemental and some others. I'd counter while twiddling their shivans and various fatties of the day until control magic got online. Great deck, it worked so well that magic got boring for my friends. The cards eventually got retired.

A couple years later I'm building my first gaming computer, component by component as I make money doing odd jobs. I'm about 14, the guys I played quake online with are helping me out. Some older guy (probably early 20s at the time) actually would stay on the phone with me helping me build my computer. It's built but it won't boot!! Such a noob, I didn't have an operating system. I can't afford windows 2k, it's was $250 back them. Ridiculous. So the guy I played quake with asked me if I had magic cards, I lit up, he said he'd trade me windows 2k and Microsoft office 2k for 2x erhnam dijinn from Arabian nights. I did not have them, I didn't play green! They were worth 20+ or so dollars back then. So I have my mom drop me off at the the local magic shop, I bring all my cards. The owner did not have erhnam in black border, but one of the older (19-22 maybe?) boys did. I asked him if he would trade them, I had a Serra, duals, assassin, and others, but he refused. He said we could play for ante, he would ante up 1 dijinn per game. I remember being nervous but desperate for windows 2k operating system. I agree because my twiddle control deck is still intact in an ice age starter box. This guy had all his buddies smiling as he is about to steal cards off my young self.

The twiddle deck took him down game 1 easy, maybe he was drawing bad because the magic gods were punishing him for being a bastard. His friends were silent after that. I took the first erhnam. Game two he is berating me for playing twiddle as I counter spell his fatties while Serra beats him down. I won both cards to get me the windows 2k discs!! Out of pitty I gave the guy what I had up for ante, 2 ghost ships, I actually felt bad. I didn't care about the cards then, I would have gave all my cards for windows 2k. I sold my duals and serra for $20 and left. I put the two dijins in an envelope (PWE) with card board on each side, and he simil sent the windows discs after I told him the story.

I started selling custom computers for profit not long after.

When I started playing again 4 years ago I was eager to check my parents basement for the cards. They were there, in a dusty western digital hard drive box that I must have left them in that day.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by ardeay on September 05, 2013]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League