Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  To grade or not to grade, that is the question

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   To grade or not to grade, that is the question
Dancam1
posted August 16, 2013 04:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dancam1 Send a private message to Dancam1 Click to send Dancam1 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dancam1's Have/Want ListView Dancam1's Have/Want List
If anyone has been reading my posts, you know that yesterday, I came into possession an amazing unlimited Ancestral Recall for a great price. I also just heard that there are fake unlimited cards running around. I have looked at this card pretty closely and it looks and feels right (I have had tons of unlimited, beta and alpha cards and they all have a distinct feel to them that the newer card sets don't have). So, should I be worried that it is fake?

2. Since this card is soooo nice, should I get it graded? I will never play with it, partly b/c I don't play vintage. Before anyone asks, but, Dan, if you don't play Vintage, why buy it? Well, years ago, my ex stole all my cards for drug cash (she turned out to be a junkie) and sold over 100K worth of cards for whatever she got. I have built up a decent collection since then (and she's dead btw, kinda Karmic Justice if u ask me) but, have never had a power 9 or real dual land again. So, I saw this in a shop and it was just beautiful and I fell in love with it. We are expecting our first child, er, what, no

not true

Getting back, should I get this graded or not? I guess I brought it to either trade or sell later on as an investment. I don't play Vintage, and I can't use the card anywhere else, and honestly, am not the type to show it around, so, what say u? Is it easier to trade/sell a card (for ex, on here) that is graded, or nongraded?

thanks in advance for giving me your opinion
Dan

jbark
posted August 16, 2013 05:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Grading will verify that it is real and will also make its value more if it truly is that good. I personally would be like "hey cool I got a recall at a good price, now let's trade down or sell it to buy stuff I need"

I don't feel collecting is necessary or worth the money or time. Ifni want something I just buy it back. I have been this way with rare games. Now I emulate..

coasterdude84
posted August 17, 2013 01:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
Grading will verify that it is real...

Not necessarily.

Dancam1
posted August 17, 2013 05:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dancam1 Send a private message to Dancam1 Click to send Dancam1 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dancam1's Have/Want ListView Dancam1's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by coasterdude84:
Not necessarily.

What do you mean? How can a fake card make it though grading? Is there a link to this story or event? How can u tell? Again, I am 99.999% sure my Ancestral is real, I have seen unlimited and held them, and it feels correct (as opposed to the cards of today).

Jazaray
posted August 17, 2013 07:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dancam1:
What do you mean? How can a fake card make it though grading? Is there a link to this story or event? How can u tell? Again, I am 99.999% sure my Ancestral is real, I have seen unlimited and held them, and it feels correct (as opposed to the cards of today).

I do recall hearing a couple of stories of fake cards getting through the grading process. I can't remember the details for the life of me though.

In my opinion, getting a card graded just makes it harder to trade/sell.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Melaleuca, go ahead, ask me what it is...

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League