Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Print Runs

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Print Runs
chaos021
posted August 13, 2013 07:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
So I was talking with someone about print runs on booster boxes on now as opposed to years ago. Can anyone tell me approximately how long recent booster boxes stay in print? Also, were print runs longer way back in the day? (Think Urza's block era).

jbark
posted August 13, 2013 07:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Correct me if I'm wrong but wizards stops printing a set after the 3rd-4th ones after are release. Ex) RTR will stop being printed after theros or after the set next (born of gods I think). Then all stock is sold until the last boxes leave. But as for quantity there are a lot more of newer sets than there were of say mirage/tempest/urzas block.

I'm not 100% but an LGS owner may know more as they buy from wizards and can know a window when they stop sales. Seems to make sense tho because innistrad dried up at gtc/dragons maze.

Zeckk
posted August 13, 2013 09:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
There actually hasn't been a ton of consistency regarding length of print runs in the modern era. RTR has had quite a large print run, possibly the largest to date. Conversely, worldwake and new phyrexia had quite small print runs. Its not exactly a stretch to say the print runs for contemporary sets are much larger than earlier sets. Unfortunately, exact numbers are impossible since wotc stopped releasing hard statistics on print run sizes.

Nitelite
posted August 13, 2013 11:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
They should release print run size like 10 years after a set has been released or something. What is the benefit to keeping that information secret decades later?

thror
posted August 13, 2013 11:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Nitelite:
They should release print run size like 10 years after a set has been released or something. What is the benefit to keeping that information secret decades later?

what's the benefit of releasing it? and then why not just release it right away?

<@Anusien> Pretty sure New Zealanders are the sheep shaggers
<KIP_NZ> Anusien: I'm a kiwi and I've shagged a sheep
<KIP_NZ> we kiwi's like our sheep

Nitelite
posted August 14, 2013 02:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

what's the benefit of releasing it? and then why not just release it right away?

There probably isn't any benefit to WoTC. For me, it would be for curiosity. I think there would be some interesting data you could pull. I'm sure it would help collectors and such as well for figuring out scarcity and such. I mean, its information. You should require reasons to withhold information, not for releasing it.

As to why they don't just release it in real time, I don't know. I assume it has something to do with them being a public company and people/competitors would be able to tell if a new set wasn't selling well and maybe take advantage of that somehow? I don't know.

I just wish for a game that has such a large collect-ability aspect to it, that there was a little more transparency in what the supply side numbers are like. Even if its just for 10 year old sets.

Demilio
posted August 14, 2013 02:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
I'm guessing here, but I believe that print runs of recent sets like RTR are huge. It also makes me think that trying to speculate on cards from these sets is a fools errand.

mm1983
posted August 14, 2013 04:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Print runs are much more than they were years ago due to increased popularity of the game over the years. Sets are also printed in many different languages now also causing an increased print run. During Revised, Legends, and the Dark, sets were only printed in about 4 different languages where now they are printed in about 10 different languages.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League