Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Short term investment advice

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Short term investment advice
Truman
posted August 31, 2013 07:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Truman Click Here to Email Truman Send a private message to Truman Click to send Truman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Truman's Have/Want ListView Truman's Have/Want List
DISCLAIMER: I know Magic isn't a real "investment" per se, but over the short term it appears that it can in fact pay back a fairly substantial ROI (See sealed boxes of Future Sight, Original Ravnica Block, Worldwake, etc)

So I've got some money and some product that I need some advice on. First the money. It's not a grand sum, not big enough for me to want a guaranteed return that something like a CD would give me, more like some money that if I were to spend it on Magic and it made money would be nice, but if it turns out all I did was by Magic cards I'd be okay with it. I'm wondering what set(s) I should target at this moment that have the greatest potential to turn into the next $300+ per box set?

Next the sealed product. I have the following, all of which I think probably should just stay sealed and on a shelf for a while.

2x Dragons Maze Booster Box
1x Innistrad Booster Box
1x M14 Booster Box
46x M14 Booster Packs (from fat packs mostly, won playing poker)

The M14 stuff is what I'm wondering about the most. With the neo-slivers, it makes me think that M14 could have tremendous casual appeal years down the road, as slivers seem to attract people.

Any advice on this would be wonderful.

mnDiff
posted August 31, 2013 07:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mnDiff Click Here to Email mnDiff Send a private message to mnDiff Click to send mnDiff an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
my 0.2 cent tip would be NOT to invest into CORE SET edition as those usually tend to go up much slowly ... if up ... dont know if the sliver thing will make m14 different..

also ... single loose boosters are less sought after as you will always have few people suspecting them from being mapped

finally, Innistrad boxes are supposed to go up ... with snapcaster & liliana of the veil being sure value cards ...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mnDiff on August 31, 2013]

Boston
posted August 31, 2013 08:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Boston Click Here to Email Boston Send a private message to Boston Click to send Boston an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Boston's Have/Want ListView Boston's Have/Want List
I would get RTR boxes if you're looking at sealed product. They're still cheap, and have shocks, deathrite, abrupt decay, and supreme verdict.

Zeckk
posted August 31, 2013 11:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Boston:
I would get RTR boxes if you're looking at sealed product. They're still cheap, and have shocks, deathrite, abrupt decay, and supreme verdict.

This. Too lazy to do the math, but I would argue that RTR has the highest percentage of played modern cards of any set currently legal in modern. 5 shocks, 7 rares (8 if you count pitching needle), and plenty of charms.

dwiz
posted August 31, 2013 08:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
This. Too lazy to do the math, but I would argue that RTR has the highest percentage of played modern cards of any set currently legal in modern. 5 shocks, 7 rares (8 if you count pitching needle), and plenty of charms.

Pithing needle is a quarter, but I agree that RTR is the way to go.

daner
posted August 31, 2013 08:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Pithing needle is a quarter, but I agree that RTR is the way to go.

Every quarter helps

+1 to the notion of "investing" in RTR if you plan on buying sealed product.

Bagbokk
posted September 01, 2013 10:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Have/Want ListView Bagbokk's Have/Want List
Innistrad box and RTR box are pretty much guaranteed returns, though it depends what you mean by "short term" (3mo, 6mo, 1yr, 2+ years, etc).

psyduck_dude12
posted September 02, 2013 12:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psyduck_dude12 Click Here to Email psyduck_dude12 Send a private message to psyduck_dude12 Click to send psyduck_dude12 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ftv 20 and sdcc sets would be the way to go!

Bagbokk
posted September 02, 2013 01:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Have/Want ListView Bagbokk's Have/Want List
Not sure if the above post is flame, but FTV:20 is something that isn't guaranteed. If anything, I'd suggest picking them up when they're very low (which is approximately now), but unfortunately RTR box should just flat out be a better use of the money. SDCC would have been a very good investment if you bought it while it was going up (~$300) rather than now.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League