Magic Discussion
  Prize Support at local shop (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Prize Support at local shop
Dergula33
posted July 29, 2013 04:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dergula33 Click Here to Email Dergula33 Send a private message to Dergula33 Click to send Dergula33 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dergula33's Have/Want ListView Dergula33's Have/Want List
Hey folks,

I'm just getting back into Magic and have moved to a new town. I have located a local gaming store (not much to offer when you live in the boonies sadly) and I was wondering what the common prize support for a FNM.

In our store its a $5 fee to enter. There was around 35 players. Our store lays out the prizes at the end of the night and players (ranking from 1st - last) get to pick something.

I noticed there was no packs to choose from however.

The first place prize was a World of Warcraft $100 statue the second was gaming matt and then there were assorted cards (looked like old FNM promos), and empty fat pack boxes.

It was cool that everyone got something however I was under the assumption that Wizards provides prize support? I brought a friend who told me that we were getting ripped as there was no packs as prize support.

If thats the case I'll be looking to play online or driving another 30 mins to play elsewhere.

What do your stores do as support?

Randomnist
posted July 29, 2013 05:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Randomnist Click Here to Email Randomnist Send a private message to Randomnist Click to send Randomnist an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Randomnist's Have/Want ListView Randomnist's Have/Want List
The store I play at usually puts 3 packs into the prize pool per player, however they also have the option of taking your prize in store credit, at $3 per pack. Most people choose that option.

Also, the entry is $10, so it sounds like yours is half the price of most FNMs.

Wizards does not provide prize support for FNMs, it is up to the store what kind of prizes they want to offer. It sounds like your store is offering janky prizes in exchange for a cheaper FNM. If most players are happy with that, and you're not, then maybe playing elsewhere would be good.

Alternatively, if you have friends there who are also not happy with it, maybe you could just ask the owner or whoever runs FNM, and see if they'd be interested in raising their entry fee in exchange for better prize support.

Dergula33
posted July 29, 2013 05:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dergula33 Click Here to Email Dergula33 Send a private message to Dergula33 Click to send Dergula33 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dergula33's Have/Want ListView Dergula33's Have/Want List
Also I thought everyone was supposed to get a FNM card? Only the top 5 got a card.

psrex
posted July 29, 2013 05:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dergula33:
It was cool that everyone got something however I was under the assumption that Wizards provides prize support?

The only prize support that I know WotC provides is for prereleases. Anything else is up to the store.

WeedIan
posted July 29, 2013 06:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Also I thought everyone was supposed to get a FNM card? Only the top 5 got a card.

Usually its 2 for the top 2 and 2 door prizes.

9th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

mm1983
posted July 29, 2013 06:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
FNM cards are given out to undefeated players at my store and 1 or 2 random winners. Store I play at does $5 standard/modern and 2 prize packs per player goes into a prize pool and only undefeated players getvprize packs. Booster drafts are $15 but only 1 pack per player goesvinto a prize pool.

Dergula33
posted July 29, 2013 07:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dergula33 Click Here to Email Dergula33 Send a private message to Dergula33 Click to send Dergula33 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dergula33's Have/Want ListView Dergula33's Have/Want List
sigh...... so net decks are to be played to win anything it seems.

D'Shay
posted July 29, 2013 07:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
WOTC provides FNM promo cards..they are to be used for giving 1st/2nd a card, and the other 2 cards are chosen by the store. I do best sportsman and a ramdom person.

In addition we charge $5 entry fee that goes towards a pool for store credit.
So if we get 20 people..we have $100 to give out as store credit for prizes, in addition to the FNM cards

pretty simple IMO

nderdog
posted July 29, 2013 07:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
The ONLY times that WotC provides packs as prizes are for prereleases, at 2 packs per player, and for the Magic Celebrations events. For FNM, it's 4 FNM cards per week, with 2 for 1st/2nd, 2 more to be given randomly to 2 other players. Many FNM events will provide packs for prizes if there's an entry fee, but that's up to the store. From the sounds of the prizes, I think it's reasonable.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Dergula33
posted July 29, 2013 08:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dergula33 Click Here to Email Dergula33 Send a private message to Dergula33 Click to send Dergula33 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dergula33's Have/Want ListView Dergula33's Have/Want List
Hmmm when i was at the M14 event no packs were given out to winners.... $30 entry fee as well.

Interesting.

hilikuS
posted July 29, 2013 08:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hmmm when i was at the M14 event no packs were given out to winners.... $30 entry fee as well.

Interesting.

Was it the pre-release, or release?

valorale
posted July 29, 2013 09:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for valorale Click Here to Email valorale Send a private message to valorale Click to send valorale an Instant MessageVisit valorale's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
sigh...... so net decks are to be played to win anything it seems.

At every tournament youll always have people who copy a list from a recent tournament result. Some people, myself included, are awful at innovating deck ideas. This can be something that people who try new things can prey on as they can prepare to foil predictable strategies.

Usually though at smaller, more casual events you find people trying to tweak lists or introduce new tech since the stakes are lower. The most important thing is that you run a list that youre comfortable with and you know how to pilot in and out.

A solid player running a rogue (lesser known) deck will almost always beat a mediocre player running a tier 1 deck.

Dergula33
posted July 29, 2013 09:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dergula33 Click Here to Email Dergula33 Send a private message to Dergula33 Click to send Dergula33 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dergula33's Have/Want ListView Dergula33's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
Was it the pre-release, or release?

Pre release.

JesusChristMD
posted July 29, 2013 10:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JesusChristMD Click Here to Email JesusChristMD Send a private message to JesusChristMD Click to send JesusChristMD an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I find it hard to believe they gave out no packs as prizes for a pre.

Dergula33
posted July 29, 2013 10:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dergula33 Click Here to Email Dergula33 Send a private message to Dergula33 Click to send Dergula33 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dergula33's Have/Want ListView Dergula33's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JesusChristMD:
I find it hard to believe they gave out no packs as prizes for a pre.

I'm telling you they didn't. They had a statue (Wow statue) for top prize.

psrex
posted July 29, 2013 10:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Then see about talking to the owners or report the shop to WotC. WotC provides the packs for prize support at the prerelease and the store should not be keeping them or selling them.

iccarus
posted July 29, 2013 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
An LGS is ripping off players with shady prize support? Say it ain't so.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

fluffycow
posted July 29, 2013 01:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
An LGS is ripping off players with shady prize support? Say it ain't so.

I have no idea how LGS even stay in business. In our local store, a draft $11 for a 8-men and the prizes are 8-4 for the top 2. So if you do that math, they basically sell a box at $88 for every 8-men draft. They have a huge store always with 3 dudes working there and a judge at FNM, I randomly buy stuff just to help them not go under

jbark
posted July 29, 2013 04:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
This store you speak of ^ relies on sales. When you have events people come and not all will draft and go home. Also they still make money in the box. I'm not sure on numbers exactly but I think wizards charges $75 or less. Hell I used to get onslaught boxes at $65 second hand.

junichi
posted July 29, 2013 04:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Looks like the store is giving out unsellable merchandise as prizes.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

oneofchaos
posted July 29, 2013 06:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fluffycow:
I have no idea how LGS even stay in business. In our local store, a draft $11 for a 8-men and the prizes are 8-4 for the top 2. So if you do that math, they basically sell a box at $88 for every 8-men draft. They have a huge store always with 3 dudes working there and a judge at FNM, I randomly buy stuff just to help them not go under

My LGS where I grew up has been going through some tough times. I visit him whenever I visit the folks. He had promised me a FTV 20 for buying so much stuff the last time I visited, but I just didn't have the heart to buy it off of him at MSRP knowing his situation. Told him to flip it for 300+ or w/e he can get for it. I'd love a FTV 20, but I'd also love for some teenagers to fall in love with the game I did, and that is only going to happen if he keeps the store afloat.

JesusChristMD
posted July 29, 2013 07:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JesusChristMD Click Here to Email JesusChristMD Send a private message to JesusChristMD Click to send JesusChristMD an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm telling you they didn't. They had a statue (Wow statue) for top prize.

You said that was the prize support for an FNM.

Your story keeps changing....

mm1983
posted July 29, 2013 08:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Players generally pay for prize support. Thats how its always been where I play. Its like a legal form of gambling if you will. At $5 for an entry fee a bit over $4 of that is provided by the store at store cost. Normal pack msrp is $3.50 to 3.75 plus tax so at $5 you are getting about $8 worth at msrp per person in a prize pool. An 8 person standard event puts 16 packs into a prize pool at $5 per person where either 1 person wins all of the packs or else 2 people split the prize at the end.

dfitzg88
posted July 29, 2013 09:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I imagine the shop owner wants to make the event special but let his personal interest of getting rid of a giant space-eating statue and keep packs get in the way of what would be better for his customers

Dergula33
posted July 30, 2013 04:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dergula33 Click Here to Email Dergula33 Send a private message to Dergula33 Click to send Dergula33 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dergula33's Have/Want ListView Dergula33's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JesusChristMD:
You said that was the prize support for an FNM.

Your story keeps changing....

No it doesn't. Both events (Pre release) and the FNM had statues as main prizes.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League