Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Wondering your opinion about graded cards.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Wondering your opinion about graded cards.
TheGambler
posted June 09, 2013 02:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheGambler Send a private message to TheGambler Click to send TheGambler an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View TheGambler's Have/Want ListView TheGambler's Have/Want List
Hey, I seen a card that is a Gem Mint 10 out of 10 PSA on E-bay. It's a Beta Plateau. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEM-MINT-PSA-10-BETA-PLATEAU-MTG-MAGIC-THE-GATHERING-/390605879773?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item5af1ecb9dd].

I can't help but notice that two of the corners look a little off for being a 10 out of 10. The top right corner and more noticeably the bottom left corner. Maybe I'm just being ultra finicky but I've seen better be rated worse, and IMO a 10 out of 10 should be flawless.

Anyways, I think the seller is a grader as well (I'm not 100% sure). My question is, with how easy it is to sell things without question nowadays, do you think graders would just slap a high rating on a card to sell themselves for big profit? I don't think a lot of people would see the big picture here and they would just look at the rating rather than do a thorough examination of the card.

Once again, I may be too finicky of a grader myself but it does make me wonder a little bit. Anyone else have an opinion?

jbark
posted June 09, 2013 02:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
if thats the actual card i dont know how PSA could rate that a 10. its nice but not perfect as a 10 would state. seems fishy

TheCottonRapster
posted June 09, 2013 02:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheCottonRapster Send a private message to TheCottonRapster Click to send TheCottonRapster an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't know much about vintage cards, but it does not look like it is gem mint. There are two markings which attract my attention. The first could be a simple scratch or dot (perhaps on the toploader). The second though is more of an absence of ink. What would cause that?

http://tinypic.com/r/2ntus1z/5

EDIT: the 'white spot' appears on 3 of the 4 corners (all but top right).

[Edited 1 times, lastly by TheCottonRapster on June 09, 2013]

thror
posted June 09, 2013 03:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
Alpha/Betas were printed with those white spots in the corner. Artifact of the printing process. 100% normal, and infact them not being there is an indication of a fake/inked card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-Dual-Land-Undergro und-Sea-EX-Light-Play-/300916758933?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item4610095995

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=underground+sea+beta&_sacat=0

<@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
<@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

<@Anusien> Pretty sure New Zealanders are the sheep shaggers
<KIP_NZ> Anusien: I'm a kiwi and I've shagged a sheep

[Edited 1 times, lastly by thror on June 09, 2013]

coasterdude84
posted June 10, 2013 08:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGambler:
Anyways, I think the seller is a grader as well (I'm not 100% sure). My question is, with how easy it is to sell things without question nowadays, do you think graders would just slap a high rating on a card to sell themselves for big profit? I don't think a lot of people would see the big picture here and they would just look at the rating rather than do a thorough examination of the card.

He is not a grader, and it doesn't work like that. You submit cards you own to PSA, BGS, or another grading house, pay a fee, and they send it back to you in a nice plastic case and assign a grade to it. Graders do not sell cards, doing so would cause them to lose all credibility.

PSA has a certain tolerance for off-centered, which this card is probably right up against, but otherwise it looks just fine to me. All professional graders are extremely picky, and many cards straight out of a pack will only grade 8 or 9.

TheCottonRapster
posted June 10, 2013 02:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheCottonRapster Send a private message to TheCottonRapster Click to send TheCottonRapster an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
He is a grader. His store page has a link to a website. From there, you can ask for appraisals. He may not a known / good grader, but he does grade cards or at least the company does.

TheGambler
posted June 10, 2013 05:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheGambler Send a private message to TheGambler Click to send TheGambler an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View TheGambler's Have/Want ListView TheGambler's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
if thats the actual card i dont know how PSA could rate that a 10. its nice but not perfect as a 10 would state. seems fishy

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

quote:
Originally posted by TheCottonRapster:
He is a grader. His store page has a link to a website. From there, you can ask for appraisals. He may not a known / good grader, but he does grade cards or at least the company does.

OK, so I did read that right. I thought it said he was a grader somewhere in there.

The difference between a 10 out of 10 and even a 9.5 out of 10 could potentially be 100's of dollars with the right card and certainly with cards like dual lands maybe an extra $25 to $50. Maybe even more. 10 out of 10 is perfect, nothing under 10 is. This was a little eye opening for me. If I consider buying graded cards in the future I'm going to let my own eyes be the #1 judge.

Timmyhill
posted June 10, 2013 06:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Timmyhill Click Here to Email Timmyhill Send a private message to Timmyhill Click to send Timmyhill an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Timmyhill's Have/Want ListView Timmyhill's Have/Want List
Is there a way to track a graded card? To see who used town it or how many there are?

coasterdude84
posted June 11, 2013 08:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheCottonRapster:

Hold on, there's a difference between calling yourself a grader or offering grading services, and actually being a grader for PSA or BGS. He doesn't work for either of those companies. He is a PSA Authorized Dealer, but that doesn't mean he works for them or sells on their behalf. Being an Authorized Dealer sounds like a lot bigger deal than it actually is. PSA grades the cards. Graded Magic Cards does not, they submit the cards for grading and then just sell them. PSA gets only their required grading fees, which are the same regardless of grade assigned. Doesn't matter if it's a 7 or 10, PSA gets the same amount. Otherwise, they would lose all credibility.

quote:
Originally posted by Timmyhill:
Is there a way to track a graded card? To see who used town it or how many there are?

There's no way to really know who owned (or currently owns) a graded card any more than any given non-graded card. As for the amount, PSA, BGS, and SCG (Sports Card Guarantee, not StarCity) all publish what they call population reports, or pop reports. Some are free to see, others you have to be a member to view, but either way, the information is there. Pop reports will list the number of cards graded based on grade, so for example, if we were to look up Card A, we'd see there were (3) 6s, (2) 7s, (7) 8s (3) 9s and (2) 10s or something like that. Each of those would have a unique serial number assigned to it.

The problem with pop reports (and why I don't trust them) is people aren't always happy with their grades. Suppose a dealer like GMTG submitted Card A, and it came back an 8. He really wants a 10, so he cracks the case, takes the card out, and resubmits it. Comes back a 9. Repeats the process, and again gets an 8. He may do this several times, and eventually get lucky and get his 10. The problem is PSA doesn't know it's the same card again and again. From their viewpoint, each one is a unique card. As such, the pop report shows all those cards in existence, but in reality the actual numbers are significantly lower. Additionally, sometimes dealers will switch graders if they think one will give a better grade than the other. Now the same card shows not only multiple times, but on 2 different pop reports.

If it's a high end card like a Black Lotus, the dealer may alert the grader they are resubmitting a card. The reason they would is because they want to keep the pop report low. Otherwise, a PSA 9 Lotus for example appears more common than it actually is.

thulnanth
posted June 11, 2013 10:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thulnanth Click Here to Email thulnanth Send a private message to thulnanth Click to send thulnanth an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coasterdude84:
The problem with pop reports (and why I don't trust them) is people aren't always happy with their grades. Suppose a dealer like GMTG submitted Card A, and it came back an 8. He really wants a 10, so he cracks the case, takes the card out, and resubmits it. Comes back a 9. Repeats the process, and again gets an 8. He may do this several times, and eventually get lucky and get his 10. The problem is PSA doesn't know it's the same card again and again. From their viewpoint, each one is a unique card. As such, the pop report shows all those cards in existence, but in reality the actual numbers are significantly lower. Additionally, sometimes dealers will switch graders if they think one will give a better grade than the other. Now the same card shows not only multiple times, but on 2 different pop reports.

I agree, which is why the pop report is not the best indicator (but it's better than nothing). Actually I disagree with your logic on high end cards like a Lotus - those are the cards most likely to be resubbed, as the increase in profit is huge. Minor "set filler" cards probably are resubbed less, as the value just isn't there.

Some people do return the flips (to PSA at least) to help correct the Pop Report, but I'd guess most don't. I think I have over 100 flips laying around, and that's just the ones I saved (lol). If I subbed a Lotus that got a few 9's and then a 10 would I return the flips? Honestly, at that point I don't think I'd care. FYI, resubbing for a bump is hard and expensive; unless they flat out undergraded your card, your odds are not good. Until you've subbed several hundred cards (or more) it's really hard to accurately guess the grade you'll get. As a rule, most people vastly overgrade their stuff .

The one area where you can trust the reports is on 10's (and 9.5's if talking BGS) - as it is the best you can do, people aren't actively cracking them to resub.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Take it easy,
Jared

coasterdude84
posted June 12, 2013 06:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thulnanth:
Actually I disagree with your logic on high end cards like a Lotus - those are the cards most likely to be resubbed, as the increase in profit is huge. Minor "set filler" cards probably are resubbed less, as the value just isn't there.

I think I wasn't too clear on that point. I agree, a Lotus is very likely to get resubbed, I was making the comment though that the "resubber" will resub it as a re-grade (PSA has that minimum regrade checkbox on it's forms), just to avoid bumping the pop report. By all means though, it'll go back several times.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League