Magic Discussion
  Rules Changes (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 6 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Rules Changes
timmerman121
posted May 22, 2013 09:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for timmerman121 Send a private message to timmerman121 Click to send timmerman121 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Check out these new rule changes for m14

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/248e

this is unreal is it not? what do you think about this?

thror
posted May 22, 2013 09:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 

Thumbs Down

Jitte mirrors? Tap my cradle, draw a bunch of cards, play an untapped cradle? 2 players with JTMS on the field? This is dumb.

<@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
<@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

<@Anusien> Pretty sure New Zealanders are the sheep shaggers
<KIP_NZ> Anusien: I'm a kiwi and I've shagged a sheep

stab107
posted May 22, 2013 09:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
I think no good can come of this.

Volcanon
posted May 22, 2013 10:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Reading Sally is funny.

"OMG WOTC SUUUUCKS" times forever, basically.

Anything that depowers blue is good. Blue doesn't have a non-targetted no drawback doom blade for 1U, 3, 3U, 3UU, 2UU, etc, etc for any legend now? Darn!

skizzikmonger
posted May 22, 2013 10:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Didn't see one change that's good

choco man
posted May 22, 2013 10:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by thror:

Thumbs Down

Jitte mirrors? Tap my cradle, draw a bunch of cards, play an untapped cradle?

Doesn't this make Jitte wars less horrible? If you played the second Jitte it was bad, now being second isn't so bad. Same with PW's. It really sucks when someone goes first, plays turn 4 Jace does Fact of Fiction. Now when you go 2nd and play your turn 4 Jace, it's not so bad.

Controlling two of the same legend is still state-based so you can't tap 2 Cradles?

I prefer the older rules, but I like that clones don't absolutely demolish generals anymore in EDH. I also don't have to worry about slow-rolling my lands in EDH just so they don't get Legend-ruled.

I'm going to have to play a lot of games before final verdict.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on May 22, 2013]

Lord Crovax
posted May 22, 2013 10:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:

Controlling two of the same legend is still state-based so you can't tap 2 Cradles?

You choose which one to destroy, you don't lose both.

So Tap one, play second, destroy taped one, rinse repeat.

choco man
posted May 22, 2013 10:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
You choose which one to destroy, you don't lose both.

So Tap one, play second, destroy taped one, rinse repeat.

Okay, misread. Thanks for clarification.

When I saw "state-based," I auto assumed that the new one would get killed off just like the old rule.

I thought the new rule would just affect the copy that your opponent would get. And that the "old uniqueness rules" still applied to each individual player.

Is not "being able to choose" which one you put into graveyard an easy fix for that problem? Because that is a really sticky situation otherwise.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on May 22, 2013]

Zeckk
posted May 23, 2013 02:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
The biggest downside is definitely jitte, since most legacy jitte wars essentially revolved around getting them both in the graveyard so you could progress with the game. Now, there's going to be a lot of active player/non-active player bullcrap that's going to result in the hoarding of removal spells and defensive tactics just so you can prevent the build-up of jitte counters.

With that said, I like the change for modern. Thrun gets better, V cliques get more...fragile? Risky? hard to define, but definitely different. Kiki mirrors get interesting, and more dependent on solid sideboard hate as opposed to simply playing more Kiki's than your opponent.

WeedIan
posted May 23, 2013 03:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Its another good rule change to allow people to play their cards and not nerf your deck if you went second.

It actually makes Jace v Jace matchups more interesting in the end because if you play the 2nd jace you don't just get the value of paying 2UU kill jace.

9th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

AGO
posted May 23, 2013 04:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
This game is starting to look more and more like patty cake. God forbid someone gets hurt feelings from losing due to legendary rule.

stab107
posted May 23, 2013 05:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
This game is starting to look more and more like patty cake. God forbid someone gets hurt feelings from losing due to legendary rule.

The only positive I have found so far is that there is less for individual players to track in multiplayer games thanks to this rule. You no longer have to worry about who else has a Jace or Garruk out, for example.

I am not a hardcore flavor guy but what is the point of having the Legendary rule when nothing is actually Legendary?

JoshSherman
posted May 23, 2013 06:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Have/Want ListView JoshSherman's Have/Want List
They can make the new legend rule work flavor wise if they choose to.

I like the keywording of indestructible. Other than that, I can take or leave the new rules. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

nylarotep
posted May 23, 2013 06:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
If they wanted to change it, I think it should've been that the newer copy always kills the older copy. More in line from a flavor perspective of "there can only be one".

fluffycow
posted May 23, 2013 06:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nylarotep:
If they wanted to change it, I think it should've been that the newer copy always kills the older copy. More in line from a flavor perspective of "there can only be one".

Flavor wise that would be better, but game wise, people would be mad

And target permanent gains indestructable sounds really stupid

[Edited 1 times, lastly by fluffycow on May 23, 2013]

nderdog
posted May 23, 2013 08:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Yeah, the new Legendary/Planeswalker rules just might be the change that tips me from taking a few months off to permanently being a collector only. Dumbing down the game doesn't do anyone any favors.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Bruised
posted May 23, 2013 08:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bruised Click Here to Email Bruised Send a private message to Bruised Click to send Bruised an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bruised's Have/Want ListView Bruised's Have/Want List
Eh rule makes sense, blue was never supposed to have blue hero's demise that can hit shroud/hexproof. However since I amw a magic player prone to overreaction this will undoubtedly be the death knell of magic and we should all pack up our cards, quit, and go home.

nderdog
posted May 23, 2013 08:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bruised:
Eh rule makes sense, blue was never supposed to have blue hero's demise that can hit shroud/hexproof. However since I amw a magic player prone to overreaction this will undoubtedly be the death knell of magic and we should all pack up our cards, quit, and go home.

It really doesn't make any sense, except in the "let's not make the little kiddies cry when they drop a huge fattie legend and have it nuked by a Clone" kind of way. That's the whole fricking point of Legendary creatures, that they can be more powerful, but they have a drawback of being a little more fragile. The only possible place it makes real sense in EDH, and it seems like a rule for EDH specifically would have been far better.

This rule seems targeted at the group of people that play at my shop, and those are the ones that have driven me from the game because they aren't remotely any fun to play with.

Report rules violations.

choco man
posted May 23, 2013 08:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
Yeah, the new Legendary/Planeswalker rules just might be the change that tips me from taking a few months off to permanently being a collector only. Dumbing down the game doesn't do anyone any favors.

Don't lose heart. If the rule is really as horrible as the "choosing which Legendary copy dies" clause makes it out to be, they can just change that clause.

Taking out complexity doesn't mean the game is going to ****. It can actually make it better. imo, "damage on the stack" leaving has been great.

Can you imagine how horrible magic would have been with damage on the stack and Restoration Angel?

quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
It really doesn't make any sense, except in the "let's not make the little kiddies cry when they drop a huge fattie legend and have it nuked by a Clone" kind of way. That's the whole fricking point of Legendary creatures, that they can be more powerful, but they have a drawback of being a little more fragile. The only possible place it makes real sense in EDH, and it seems like a rule for EDH specifically would have been far better.

This rule seems targeted at the group of people that play at my shop, and those are the ones that have driven me from the game because they aren't remotely any fun to play with.

Well, how exactly can WOTC placate the adult cry-babies who constantly complain about losing to mana-screw, mana-flood, going second, etc.? There's always going to be people crying about something (eg, Modern Masters). I honestly don't think WOTC dumbs/changes the game for reason other than to make it better. This rule included even though the old rule was fine.

At least now you don't get hosed planeswalker-wise when on the draw.

I understand your frustration with certain player demographics though.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on May 23, 2013]

nderdog
posted May 23, 2013 08:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
Don't lose heart. If the rule is really as horrible as the "choosing which Legendary copy dies" clause makes it out to be, they can just change that clause.

Taking out complexity doesn't mean the game is going to ****. It can actually make it better. imo, "damage on the stack" leaving has been great.

Can you imagine how horrible magic would have been with damage on the stack and Restoration Angel?

I loved that change. I had no problems with it at all. Rules changes can definitely make things better, I just disagree that this particular one does anything positive for the game.

Report rules violations.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted May 23, 2013 08:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want ListView Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bruised:
Eh rule makes sense, blue was never supposed to have blue hero's demise that can hit shroud/hexproof.

Was it supposed to have two Jace activations in a single turn?

I'm not at all happy with the update to the Legend rule, for many reasons already mentioned:

*What's still legendary about these permanents? Are there really two identical Progenituses in the MTG world? Two Teferis? Identity of indiscernibles, damn it!

*Getting twice the mileage out of my own legends strikes me as potentially quite powerful and generally unfun (e.g. two Jace activations, two Cradle activations (Cradle is actually much better now, since you actually want to run multiples), etc.).

*I'm not particularly thrilled at the prospect of Progenitus vs. Progenitus races (or Emrakul vs. Emrakul, or whatever). Previously, the legend rule helped to equalize things. Now, for similar/mirror matches, it's even more of a race than before.

I also don't like the SB changes. I'm ok with the "up to 15" change, which doesn't seem problematic (although I don't see why you'd ever start with fewer than 15 cards in the SB), but I'm really unhappy about the fact that SBing is no longer done on a one-to-one basis. That's a pretty fundamental change, and I just don't see any reason for it.

As for indestructible/unblockable... they should just demote most of the keywords they introduced a couple years ago. They're unnecessary, and having cards with keywords that aren't keywords is just confusing.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Goaswerfraiejen on May 23, 2013]

Goaswerfraiejen
posted May 23, 2013 09:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want ListView Goaswerfraiejen's Have/Want List
Apologies for the double-post. I just wanted to bring up something that's been going 'round The Source...

Legendary versions of Revised Duals may be coming as a result.

That would be good, I think. But I'd prefer not to have the Legend rule changed; almost all the cards that get better make things less fun for everyone.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

fluffycow
posted May 23, 2013 09:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Goaswerfraiejen:
Was it supposed to have two Jace activations in a single turn?

I'm not at all happy with the update to the Legend rule, for many reasons already mentioned:

*What's still legendary about these permanents? Are there really two identical Progenituses in the MTG world? Two Teferis? Identity of indiscernibles, damn it!

*Getting twice the mileage out of my own legends strikes me as potentially quite powerful and generally unfun (e.g. two Jace activations, two Cradle activations (Cradle is actually much better now, since you actually want to run multiples), etc.).

*I'm not particularly thrilled at the prospect of Progenitus vs. Progenitus races (or Emrakul vs. Emrakul, or whatever). Previously, the legend rule helped to equalize things. Now, for similar/mirror matches, it's even more of a race than before.

I also don't like the SB changes. I'm ok with the "up to 15" change, which doesn't seem problematic (although I don't see why you'd ever start with fewer than 15 cards in the SB), but I'm really unhappy about the fact that SBing is no longer done on a one-to-one basis. That's a pretty fundamental change, and I just don't see any reason for it.

As for indestructible/unblockable... they should just demote most of the keywords they introduced a couple years ago. They're unnecessary, and having cards with keywords that aren't keywords is just confusing.

I agree with some of what you are saying except for the sideboard part. Why would you have to swap 1:1 anyway? What if I just want to add in another card because I think everything is useful? Also, I don't see why they wouldn't let you start with a 250 card deck and then drop it to a 60 card deck game 2 just to keep the 15 cards sideboard

Pail42
posted May 23, 2013 09:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I like the change to make indestructible a keyword, I didn't realize it wasn't a keyword.

The sideboard change doesn't bother me and will hopefully result in fewer problems for tournaments.

The lands thing has never come up for me and I prefer the simpler approach.

quote:
Originally posted by Goaswerfraiejen:
I'd prefer not to have the Legend rule changed; almost all the cards that get better make things less fun for everyone.

I agree with this and similar sentiments. When I saw they were changing the rule I was absolutely mortified we'd go back to the pre-Kamigawa rules. Thankfully we didn't, but the new rules are just as confusing for players as the old rules and they aremore exploitable. This change seems intended solely to prevent hurt feelings that result from not paying attention to the board state and has a very similar feeling to the removal of mana burn. It's not the end of the world or anything, but I will miss the old version.

Pail42
posted May 23, 2013 09:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/248f
quote:
I hope that you trust that these changes will make the game more fun as a whole, and that we will use the additional design space in good ways to make more fun and interesting cards, which will lead to better games of Magic. I look forward to Theros and beyond, and to revealing some of the interesting things this change has allowed us to do.

Sounds like a hint that Theros might have a strong Legendary theme like Kamigawa.

This topic is 6 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League