Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What do I trade for?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What do I trade for?
NateK007
posted May 26, 2013 08:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for NateK007 Click Here to Email NateK007 Send a private message to NateK007 Click to send NateK007 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View NateK007's Have/Want ListView NateK007's Have/Want List
I am in the process of building a U/W/R control deck for standard, and I plan on using it over the next year or so of standard. I have a fair amount of the expensive cards for the deck, but what should be my trading priority?
Snapcaster Mage
Sphinx's Revelation
Land (I already have some of the land though, but still need a lot more)

Boston
posted May 26, 2013 09:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Boston Click Here to Email Boston Send a private message to Boston Click to send Boston an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Boston's Have/Want ListView Boston's Have/Want List
Sphinx's, Lands, and Supreme Verdict (if you don't already have it). Snaps will rotate in October.

Pail42
posted May 26, 2013 11:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
And by lands the above posters probably mean the Ravnica dual lands because the M13 and Innistrad dual lands will also rotate out in October.

mcelraca
posted May 26, 2013 12:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you want to do R/W/U this a tough point to start. You're either

A. Going to spend a lot of money to have a good deck for a short period of time
B. Have a subpar deck until things rotate.

To me option B is the smarter choice. You can get used to playing a control deck and develop you're skill as your deck gets better.

Cards that won't be rotating out that you'll want

Sphinx's Revelation
Azorious Charm
Turn/Burn
Boros Reckoner
Counters (Render Silent, Counterflux, Syncopate, etc...)
Supreme Verdict
Blind Obedience
Sacred Foundry
Hallowed Fountain
Steam Vents
Assemble the Legion
Aetherling
Council of the Absolute

If you want to make a good deck now you'll probably want to look into

Snapcaster Mage
Restoration Angel
Geist of St. Traft
Blasphemous Act
Clifftop Retreat
Glacial Fortress
Augur of Bolas
Sulfur Falls
Pillar of Flame
Searing Spear
Moorland Haunt
Jace, Memory Adept
Unsummon
Dissipate/Essence Scatter/Negate

Everything I've listed shouldn't necessarily be stuffed into the same deck, you just need to figure out what you want to win with and build around it. While R/W/U control will keep its core strategy, the deck is going to go through some major changes after things rotate in October.

Kveezy
posted May 31, 2013 12:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kveezy Click Here to Email Kveezy Send a private message to Kveezy Click to send Kveezy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you're running American Control, the most expensive card you'll prob need are Sphinx's Revelation.

Other than that, dual lands, Jace, Memory Adept, Chandra, entreat the angels/aurelia, aetherling as your wincon.

You would also need the charms, (izzet/azorius).

If you're waiting for post rotation, i'd stick with the charms, sphinxes, dual lands, possibly aurelia and whatever M14/Theros brings.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Kveezy on May 31, 2013]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League