Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Selling for the first time since the shipping changes, had a couple questions.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Selling for the first time since the shipping changes, had a couple questions.
Havoc Demon
posted May 29, 2013 09:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I have not done much trading/selling on here in the past couple of years but now I have too much stuff and no place to move it locally. I know the shipping rules changed a year or two ago when I was still visiting the site but I stopped visiting months ago. I figured before I jumped back into it I'd ask some questions to avoid headaches later.

What's the preferred method of shipping under the new rules and about how much does it cost on average?

Are personal payments still a thing or did Paypal crack down on that? If not, is it unreasonable to charge paypal fees?

Are Ebay prices still the standard around here? I imagine this hasn't changed even with past issues with the price guides. I wouldn't be shocked if people started gravitating to other prices now that there's a slew of price guides out there.

Thanks

matt9
posted May 29, 2013 10:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for matt9 Click Here to Email matt9 Send a private message to matt9 Click to send matt9 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I can touch up on a few things

Personal (Gift) payments via PayPal still exist, but if you receive a lot you will get put on suspension from PayPal. I know a few large traders who are no longer able to accept gift payments because of this.

It's not rude to ask the buyer to split the fees with you, although I guess tacking 100% of them on to their bill could be (as it is a sellers tax, not buyers tax). In the past I have offered to split the fees up to a certain sale amount and from there I would just absorb everything myself.

Gift payments make for headaches when things go awry; especially for the buyer who may have been scammed, so I encourage people to use the system traditionally when I sell. I also really appreciate the service PayPal lets me use, and I don't mind giving them a cut of my transactions. People gripe and moan over fees, but without PayPal I wouldn't have the means necessary to make money on the side like I do. I think mostly it's the fees and nickel & dime features from eBay that gets out of hand. I lose 14% to eBay on everything I sell and with PayPal, it's either 5% and a nickel or 3% and a quarter.

eBay value still holds true around these parts.

caquaa
posted May 29, 2013 11:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
In the US I ship w/ paypal's multiorder shipping: #000 envelope with up to half an inch or so of cards (maybe more) will ship for $1.69. I charge $2 to cover my toploaders, envelopes, and so its a round number. It also includes DC. If anything over $200 you'll need a signature by MOTL rules which is about $2 extra.

Internationally things have gotten expensive and I never know what I'm going to pay at the post office. I take my best guess and am often surprised. PWE is really not an ideal way to ship, but its the only thing that lets me ship cheaply (~$2). If i use the same bubble mail I use in the US it often gets shipped as a package and runs about $6. neither of these methods provide tracking so you'll want to get an explicitly stated waiver of responsibility. If its expensive and you need tracking registered mail is going to run about $20 for something small.

Personal payments are still available on paypal in most countries, but not all. you can get this taken away if you abuse it. I abuse it, still going strong though. I do pass all paypal costs onto the buyer, it allows me to correctly determine what sort of discounts on lots I'm willing to accept when I have a certain amount I want to walk away with. I don't have to figure out what they're paying with beforehand and I'm up front with everything... hasn't seemed to be a problem yet.

I price my stuff at about the low end of ebay auctions. If you go higher, you won't find any buyers. If you're feeling lazy you can price it out at the lowest prices on tcgplayer and only be slightly high. Its the fairest non-ebay pricing, but when ebay has established a market value, thats what I'm going to roll with. if I need quick money, I price just slightly below ebay, but more than I'd get after ebay fees, and stuff typically sells very quickly.

Bagbokk
posted May 30, 2013 05:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Trade Auction or SaleView Bagbokk's Trade Auction or Sale
caquaa's pretty spot on.

I charge $2 for shipping in the US because it almost always costs $1.69 or $1.81 for slightly heavier packages. Toploader and envelope rounds out the remaining cost. Sometimes people really want to save that $1 and ask for PWE, that's fine too.

Internationally I charge $2 for PWE, $7 for bubble envelope, and $20 for registered mail. The problem is that the cost of shipping "small packages" (what bubble envelope is classified as) went way up. It's like $6 to Canada and $7 to everywhere else.

Same thing as already said w/r/t personal payments. I don't specify and sometimes people pay via non-personal, and it's annoying but I'm not going to make a big deal out of a couple bucks in most situations. If it's like a $1000+ deal or something and $40 got taken out, that might be another issue. It's not unreasonable at all to charge an extra 3-4% if the buyer is paying non-personal payments.

eBay prces are roughly the standard, yep. Let's not go into another argument about whether people should charge eBay prices minus 12% or eBay prices or somewhere in between... but I still use roughly eBay prices.

Havoc Demon
posted May 31, 2013 10:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm not too worried about the Paypal fees since I can either take personal payments and tow the line or I'm willing to eat the fees in the worst case scenario.

Is the MOTL price guide still functional? I know it was slow to update when I was last on here so I unless there is another guide out there that uses Ebay I'll probably use TCGplayer low. Fortunately I'm in a position where I do not have to sell everything now, so I can be flexible on the prices.

Edit: Also what's the deal with people putting "not responsible for lost mail on their posts"? I'm guessing that has to do with people not wanting to pay for confirmation.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Havoc Demon on May 31, 2013]

Bagbokk
posted May 31, 2013 01:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Trade Auction or SaleView Bagbokk's Trade Auction or Sale
I don't know about MOTL price guide, it was dead for long enough that I just started looking at recent ended auctions. Sorry.

quote:
Edit: Also what's the deal with people putting "not responsible for lost mail on their posts"? I'm guessing that has to do with people not wanting to pay for confirmation.

Especially true for international deals where the difference between tracking and non-tracking is like $18. Sometimes within the US you'll have people that would rather pay $1 for a PWE than $2 for delivery confirmation too. Whatever sense that makes, but hey, their choice. And given that it's the buyer's choice, if they choose a method that doesn't provide tracking, I (and a lot of other sellers) require them to waive my responsibility for lost/stolen(/damaged) mail. Because without that explicit waiver I'm on the hook for anything that they don't receive. (See rules, recent BTA, posts in General Discussion about this issue.)

Sovarius
posted June 01, 2013 10:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Havoc Demon:

There is no delivery confirmation anymore, it's called tracking now and it's free on packages.

And i put it on my posts because i just don't think you should ever be liable for anything that isn't your fault. Lost/Stolen mail is not your fault if you put in the hands of the post office.
That said,

My Saleslist
Wants

MeddlingMage
posted June 02, 2013 03:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
There is no delivery confirmation anymore, it's called tracking now and it's free on packages.

And i put it on my posts because i just don't think you should ever be liable for anything that isn't your fault. Lost/Stolen mail is not your fault if you put in the hands of the post office.
That said,

Wah?

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

Sovarius
posted June 02, 2013 04:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:

Wah?

~MM

To which part?

My Saleslist
Wants

MeddlingMage
posted June 02, 2013 04:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
Mostly all of it

It's free? Later you go on to say

"That said,"

and never continue...

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

Sovarius
posted June 02, 2013 04:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
Oh, i deleted that. missed two words i guess. Heh.

My Saleslist
Wants

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League