Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Does Deathrite Shaman get banned in Modern next year?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Does Deathrite Shaman get banned in Modern next year?
JayC
posted May 21, 2013 06:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Have been having a conversation with several players of all levels, some pro's, some judges, some LGS regulars. The consensus was a theory that he is in fact, too good in Modern specifically and will be banned because he is seen in such a significant number of decks and that he simply does 'too much, for too little'. He effectively is format altering, and dominating, in some respects.

The theory is also that they will not ban him right now while he's new to standard because Wizards doesn't like to admit to their mistakes, look at Jitte - if you played Standard then you know what I'm getting at... a card that absolutely wrecked the format but they refused to do anything about it. Granted, Deathrite has almost no effect on standard, but the theory is that the same thought process and essential 'pride' is there which would delay any action.

What do you guys think?

GoldFish cites Deathrite being (in Modern):

The #2 creature played in the format, online, at 22.69% of all decks.

The #4 card played in modern overall, online, at 24.67% of all decks with an average of 3.7 in those decks played.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by JayC on May 21, 2013]

skizzikmonger
posted May 21, 2013 06:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd say no, but Wizards likes banning good cards in Modern

Sovarius
posted May 21, 2013 06:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
By all levels you mean pros who top 8'ed a gpt and level 1 judges? Throwing out their skill level really doesn't convince me they can accurately call bans better than anyone else.

Jitte was years ago. More recently was Jace and Mystic. They got banned actually in standard, so i don't think they care about banning a modern card that happens to also be in standard.
Even though no one likes to be wrong, Wizards is trying get modern to work, and if leaving in such an uberbroken formatdestroying card was sabotoging the chances of that, i think theyd just ban it.

My Saleslist
Wants

JayC
posted May 21, 2013 06:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
By all levels you mean pros who top 8'ed a gpt and level 1 judges? Throwing out their skill level really doesn't convince me they can accurately call bans better than anyone else.

Jitte was years ago. More recently was Jace and Mystic. They got banned actually in standard, so i don't think they care about banning a modern card that happens to also be in standard.
Even though no one likes to be wrong, Wizards is trying get modern to work, and if leaving in such an uberbroken formatdestroying card was sabotoging the chances of that, i think theyd just ban it.

I was communicating to you the demographic in the conversation so that it wasn't assumed it was just little old me but several people who have achieved decently in the game...you know, not just some dip****s behind a keyboard who have achieved nothing but sleeving their deck. There are multiple level 1 and 2 judges at my LGS and a level 3 as well whom was not present. Players who I referred to as Pro, are current pro's participating in a very regular and competitive way across the country, or ex-pros, winning 1 , or multiple big events in the last 5 years. Let's not deviate from the point with the unnecessary initial portion of your response. It doesn't add to the conversation and I didn't intend anything negative by the mention beyond what I just explained to you.

jb231
posted May 21, 2013 07:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jb231 Send a private message to jb231 Click to send jb231 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jb231's Have/Want ListView jb231's Have/Want List
I really hope not because I bought a ton of him when he was like 7-8$, I don't know a lot about the format but it seems like he goes into all the "fair" decks and those decks aren't dominating the format by any means any more. If they banned him it would cripple rock decks and make playing UWR or combo a lot better which doesn't seem like the best thing. He also gives midrange decks a lot of reach and some additional game vs decks doing unfair things.

WeedIan
posted May 22, 2013 05:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
I hope they do ban him so the list gets longer than Legacy's banned list.

9th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Dimh
posted May 22, 2013 08:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dimh Click Here to Email Dimh Send a private message to Dimh Click to send Dimh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ooze can keep him in check as well, I doubt it gets banned.

wayne
posted May 22, 2013 10:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
GP Portland:

Top 8 decklists: 9 Deathrite Shamans
9-16th: 11 Deathrite Shamans

Probably not.

Mr.C
posted May 22, 2013 12:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
lol why would they ban him? He's not Mental Misstep.

JoshSherman
posted May 22, 2013 12:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Have/Want ListView JoshSherman's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
lol why would they ban him? He's not Mental Misstep.

Clearly they need to unban Mental Misstep to deal with this guy.

Zeckk
posted May 22, 2013 02:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JayC:

GoldFish cites Deathrite being (in Modern):

The #2 creature played in the format, online, at 22.69% of all decks.

The #4 card played in modern overall, online, at 24.67% of all decks with an average of 3.7 in those decks played.

Maybe it's just me mis-reading your post, but how can deathrite be in 22.69% AND 24.67% of all modern decks?

More to the argument of banning him - What are the percentages of goyf and bob? What's the #1 creature? Beyond being a commonly-seen card, does he suppress other creatures from being in the format? Does he suppress archetypes? Is he ruining format diversity?

Those are all legitimate questions. My personal opinion is that Deathrite Shaman is actually quite good for the format. He gives aggro and mid-range decks efficient utility and (more importantly) maindeck interactivity with a lot of combo decks in the format, without being on the level of "leyline of the void vs. dredge" archetype suppression.

There are a ton of deck archetypes that couldn't care less about seeing a deathrite shaman on the field, and I think you would actually see a domino effect of ban-calls for cards that deathrite keeps in check currently (snapcaster and gifts being some of the more high-profile examples).

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League