Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Good places to buy sketched artist proofs?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Good places to buy sketched artist proofs?
paris
posted May 06, 2013 02:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Aside from eBay, ABU and SCG, does anyone know of other websites that sell sketched artist proof cards?

Hermann -ICE-
posted May 06, 2013 02:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hermann -ICE- Click Here to Email Hermann -ICE- Send a private message to Hermann -ICE- Click to send Hermann -ICE- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Directly from the artists is usually best. I have a handful for trade/sale. If you're interested, I can send you a list and scans.

paris
posted May 06, 2013 03:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Many artists are hard to get in touch with (e.g., they don't respond to unsolicited email from strangers online), and chances are that they don't have pre-sketched cards with scans online for you to pick from.

Before today I had thought that only eBay and ABU would have catalogs of scanned artist proofs to pick from, but then I noticed today that SCG has them now too, so I'm just wondering if there are other sites out there too that I just don't know about yet.

I3Iood
posted May 06, 2013 03:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for I3Iood Click Here to Email I3Iood Send a private message to I3Iood Click to send I3Iood an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Spectrum Fantastic Art has 25-30 magic artists at it. I was there last year and am going again this year. I added about 25 sketched artist proofs to my collection last year. Not sure if this is possible, but it is a great time. Gencon and other tournaments also have artists, as do art shows. Last but not least, reach out to an artist via mail or email. Many are very welcome to selling them. Jason

http://www.spectrumfantasticart.com/spectrumfantasticartlive/

thulnanth
posted May 06, 2013 09:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thulnanth Click Here to Email thulnanth Send a private message to thulnanth Click to send thulnanth an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey paris,

Nice to meet a fellow sketched AP collector

I am a firm believer that sketched AP's should always be bought directly from the artist whenever possible. As you said, many artists are hard to contact, or simply can't/don't sell them. That being said, I've literally bought hundreds of them TTM simply by shooting out emails and asking. It never hurts, and many artists are more than happy to comply.

Meeting them at shows/tournies is another great way. As Jason said, Spectrum is coming up and I plan to score a few more for my collection there again...

... after I kick his butt in a game of EDH, of course

Take it easy,
Jared

Fiber13
posted May 07, 2013 06:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Fiber13 Click Here to Email Fiber13 Send a private message to Fiber13 Click to send Fiber13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Fiber13's Have/Want ListView Fiber13's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by I3Iood:
Spectrum Fantastic Art has 25-30 magic artists at it. I was there last year and am going again this year. I added about 25 sketched artist proofs to my collection last year. Not sure if this is possible, but it is a great time. Gencon and other tournaments also have artists, as do art shows. Last but not least, reach out to an artist via mail or email. Many are very welcome to selling them. Jason

http://www.spectrumfantasticart.com/spectrumfantasticartlive/

This.
I'll be there too.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League