Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Create your own card contest! (Part IV) (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 7 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Create your own card contest! (Part IV)
B14ckM4g3
posted April 17, 2012 06:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Okay so I really enjoyed the last card contest (although I didn't make it so far). So much so, that I decided to run my own contest!

Rules!

1. Cards must be playable in an actual game of magic (unless requested, no nonsensical/real world cards)
2. One entry per person (unless otherwise asked for more)
3. Please do not edit posts! if edit's are necessary, Make a new post quoting yourself and make your adjustments. Only one adjustment per entry(cannot be something that somebody else has stated, this is for minor details like forgetting subtype or fixing typos)
4. I will be deciding the winner. I'll use all kinds of judgements such as: Power/balance of card, how well it suits its colors, Theme of card/set, creativity, and just how much I damn well like it.
5. There will be prizes! first place will definately get something nice from my trade binder!

Let's continue!

Signing up is free and requires no PM. Just post your card up here and when I feel like the time is right I will set time limits for remaining people to make entries.
There will be 3 or 4 rounds of card making, depending on how many people enter and advance through the rounds. at least three, maybe 4. Round requirements will be announced at the beginning of the next rounds, after the cards have been judged.
Good luck to everyone who enters!

Card breakdown for easy viewing

(Name of Card)
(casting cost)
(card type) (subtype)

(base text)
(flavor text)

(power/toughness)
---
(personal opinions/descriptions of card)

ROUND ONE!

Card can be of any color(s), set, scheme, race, nationality, creed, etc.
CANNOT BE MYTHIC! Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, shall we?

And...
BEGIN!!!

Thanos
posted April 17, 2012 06:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Thanos's Have/Want ListView Thanos's Have/Want List
May be a little too soon, don't you think?

I know I'm tapped out after that last contest.

B14ckM4g3
posted April 17, 2012 06:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If your creativity is tapped out after that last contest, then you don't need to signup for this one. But really, tapped out? Go drink a soda and think about butterflies. It's your imagination man, don't limit yourself.

Thanos
posted April 17, 2012 06:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Thanos's Have/Want ListView Thanos's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by B14ckM4g3:
If your creativity is tapped out after that last contest, then you don't need to signup for this one. But really, tapped out? Go drink a soda and think about butterflies. It's your imagination man, don't limit yourself.

It was a SUGGESTION. The contest just ended like 2 days ago.

I thought a little time between them would make sense but I guess not.

Lord Crovax
posted April 17, 2012 07:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Seeing how Mythics are banned for round one, I guess I won't use a PWer, so here is my attempt.

Scrying Sphere 2
Artifact (U)
Sacrifice Scrying Sphere: Scry 2 (To scry 2, look at the top two cards of your library. Put any number of them on the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on top in any order.)
T: Look at the top two cards of your library, then put them back in any order.

Th3Sparkl3r
posted April 17, 2012 07:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Th3Sparkl3r Click Here to Email Th3Sparkl3r Send a private message to Th3Sparkl3r Click to send Th3Sparkl3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Vengeful Hero 2BB
Creature - Human Warrior (R)
Mortal Enemy 2 (When Vengeful Hero enters the battlefield choose a creature target player controls. When Vengeful hero blocks or is blocked by the named creature that creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. That creature cannot be regenerated this turn.)

"Ask your God for forgiveness because you'll receive none from me."

3/3

I've always thought a mechanic like this could make combat more interesting than just simple "are my numbers bigger than his" combat math. Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks it's a cool idea.

southparker2002
posted April 17, 2012 07:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
Spoiled Child
1WU
Creature - Human Wizard

Whenever you search your library, you may choose a creature card from your library and exile it. Until end of turn, you may cast that card.

"You can hide my doll if you like. I will ALWAYS find it."

0/4

skizzikmonger
posted April 17, 2012 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Torment the Soul
BR
Sorcery
When you cast Torment the Soul, you may pay
two life.  If you do, target player discards a card
at random.
Look at target player's hand. You choose a
nonland card from it.  That player discards that
card.

fluffycow
posted April 17, 2012 08:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
Descandent of Umezawa
1R
Creature - Samurai Human

First Strike

When ~ deals combat damage, put two rage counters on ~.

Remove a rage counter from ~: choose 1 - ~ deals 1 damage to target creature, add R to your mana pool, or target creature can't block this turn.

2/1

"This weapon knows only the color red now."

Devonin
posted April 17, 2012 08:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
Angelic Bargain
4W Instant (Rare)

Reparation - Each Opponent may have target creature they control gain Indestructible until end of turn. (You may pay a spell's Reparation cost any number of times. Each time you do, reduce the cost of this spell by (1))

Destroy all creatures. They cannot be regenerated

All things in balance. The swifter our fury, the greater our mercy.

Devonin
posted April 17, 2012 08:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
I thought he said not mythic. Goodness.

B14ckM4g3
posted April 17, 2012 08:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
man there have been some really good entries already. I'm very glad to see this and hope it keeps up, although you guys are making judging this very difficult.

broiler1977
posted April 17, 2012 09:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for broiler1977 Click Here to Email broiler1977 Send a private message to broiler1977 Click to send broiler1977 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View broiler1977's Have/Want ListView broiler1977's Have/Want List
Twist of Fate
2UB
Sorcery
Reveal the top 5 cards of your library.

You may pay 2 life to replace any creatures in play with any creatures revealed. All replaced creatures are removed from the game. Shuffle your library.

Lord Crovax
posted April 17, 2012 10:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by broiler1977:
Twist of Fate
2UB
Sorcery
Reveal the top 5 cards of your library.

You may pay 2 life to replace any creatures in play with any creatures revealed. All replaced creatures are removed from the game. Shuffle your library.

Exiles everything as worded, broken as intended.

Myy
posted April 17, 2012 11:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
Seashore kraken 3UUU

Creature - Kraken (R)

islandwalk

When ~ comes into play you may have target opponent gain control of target island you control.

6/6

This pretty much is in context with krakens, being really hard ot block.

it's a 6/6 for six that has the potential to become unblockable.

combine this with other islandwalkers and you have profit.

Devonin
posted April 18, 2012 04:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Myy:
Seashore kraken 3UUU

Creature - Kraken (R)

islandwalk

When ~ comes into play you may have target opponent gain control of target island you control.

6/6

And for 2 more mana, you can keep your island, just have 'unblockable' instead of 'islandwalk' and be Tidal Kraken

Or for 2 more mana, you can just make all lands islands, shut down their non-flying, non-islandwalking attackers and be Stormtide Leviathan

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Devonin on April 18, 2012]

AGO
posted April 18, 2012 04:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Had this on the last thread but had it overlooked.

Surreptitiousness
Casting Cost: U
Enchantment
Uncommon

If you were to draw a card you may draw from the bottom of your library instead.

“My brain is the key that sets my mind free.”
Harry Houdini

-------------------------
This card is completley useless on its own. Until you combo with scry. Stops Spin into Myth for EDH. Total gold with any cards that let you put cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

mattw
posted April 18, 2012 06:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
Demonic Trade (R)
1BB
Instant

Exile two target creatures an opponent controls. That player then Exiles target creature you control

Was trying to work Grislebrand in the name somehow but I'm horrible with naming cards. I also am not sure how balanced this actually is. And one last thing, how I worded it, the player doesn't need a creature out to be able to cast this right?
Like if the opponent has 2 and I don't have any its all plus side, cause thats how I intended it.

Myy
posted April 18, 2012 07:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
And for 2 more mana, you can keep your island, just have 'unblockable' instead of 'islandwalk' and be Tidal Kraken

Or for 2 more mana, you can just make all lands islands, shut down their non-flying, non-islandwalking attackers and be Stormtide Leviathan

yep, very very valid poitns, infact I looked at other unblockables to try and balance this out. but those 2 more mana are actually 3-4 turns more. 6 is the right amount IMO. plus I didn't designed this to be a broken cerature, just playable and casual player eye candy. =)

MagicPatty
posted April 18, 2012 08:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
Had this on the last thread but had it overlooked.

Surreptitiousness
Casting Cost: U
Enchantment
Uncommon

If you were to draw a card you may draw from the bottom of your library instead.

“My brain is the key that sets my mind free.”
Harry Houdini

-------------------------
This card is completley useless on its own. Until you combo with scry. Stops Spin into Myth for EDH. Total gold with any cards that let you put cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

Stop the contest, this is the winner. This card screams of something that should already exist! It is simple and eloquent; an uncommon to smoothen things out. Can be great in the SB, played with synergies in its own deck, and seems great in EDH.

Bravo!

Jtrade77
posted April 18, 2012 10:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jtrade77 Send a private message to Jtrade77 Click to send Jtrade77 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Simple Wish (R)
1W
Sorcery

Search your sideboard for a permanent with converted mana cost 1 or less and put it onto the battlefield.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Personal Comments: I've always thought white needed a limited land search spell which could also be a Savannah Lions, or Aether Vial, or anti-dredge artifact. I'd play it.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Jtrade77 on April 18, 2012]

Kyosukee
posted April 18, 2012 10:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kyosukee Send a private message to Kyosukee Click to send Kyosukee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mattw:
Demonic Trade (R)
1BB
Instant

Exile two target creatures an opponent controls. That player then Exiles target creature you control

Was trying to work Grislebrand in the name somehow but I'm horrible with naming cards. I also am not sure how balanced this actually is. And one last thing, how I worded it, the player doesn't need a creature out to be able to cast this right?
Like if the opponent has 2 and I don't have any its all plus side, cause thats how I intended it.

I think the way it's worded now, it'd fizzle if it loses any of the targets and wouldn't be castable unless it had all of its targets.

Perhaps "exile up to two target creatures your opponent controls. If you control a creature, your opponent may exile up to one target creature you control" or something like that?

mattw
posted April 18, 2012 11:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
Too bad its too late to change it, but thanks for the help.

fluffycow
posted April 18, 2012 11:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Myy:
Seashore kraken 3UUU

Creature - Kraken (R)

islandwalk

6/6

I do like me some krakens and I do like your design, very fair and an absolute limited bomb but since we are making up cards I think pushing the envelope a little is much more exciting. From the preview of avacyn restored, wizards certainly isn't holding back

xxxcryoserumxxx
posted April 18, 2012 12:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for xxxcryoserumxxx Click Here to Email xxxcryoserumxxx Send a private message to xxxcryoserumxxx Click to send xxxcryoserumxxx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Contract with Grislebrand
2B
Sorcery
Search your library for a card. Put that card on top of your library. You lose 2 life. If Contract wit Grislebrand is cast with it's miracle cost put that card in your hand instead.

Miracle B, pay 2 life

I can give you what you desire. But I choose the price.
-Grislebrand

Edit: I forgot to put the rarity. It's a rare.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by xxxcryoserumxxx on April 19, 2012]

This topic is 7 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League