Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Ban list update combo hit again! (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Ban list update combo hit again!
Bwatson513
posted April 21, 2013 11:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bwatson513 Click Here to Email Bwatson513 Send a private message to Bwatson513 Click to send Bwatson513 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bwatson513's Have/Want ListView Bwatson513's Have/Want List
Standard - no changes

Legacy - no changes

Modern -second sunrise banned

Vintage regrowth unrestricted

oneofchaos
posted April 21, 2013 11:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Oh well if I want to combo legacy it is then :-/. Probably not necessary.

Kwas
posted April 21, 2013 11:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kwas Click Here to Email Kwas Send a private message to Kwas Click to send Kwas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Kwas's Have/Want ListView Kwas's Have/Want List
Wooohooo, Gush storm is about to get real good again!

Zeckk
posted April 21, 2013 11:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Thank sweet baby jesus for the second sunrise ban. Eggs is just trolling IRL, and while it's important to have combo options in modern, there's already plenty of combo options in modern.

Eatatjoes
posted April 22, 2013 01:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Eatatjoes Click Here to Email Eatatjoes Send a private message to Eatatjoes Click to send Eatatjoes an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Eatatjoes's Have/Want ListView Eatatjoes's Have/Want List
So glad. This deck caused some rounds in gp San Diego to go 40 minutes over time. It was ridiculous

dfitzg88
posted April 22, 2013 03:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Short term sunrise needed to go, but extra turns is probably not the ideal way to deal with the clock. If combo decks can take twenty minute turns, then the system is broken. I'd prefer if wizards took the time to look for a new way of ending a round so cards don't pop up in the future and do this again

wayne
posted April 22, 2013 04:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
I might play Modern again now that Storm and Eggs are gone

AGO
posted April 22, 2013 05:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
ERR MER GERD! They tossed Vintage a bone for once.

JoshSherman
posted April 22, 2013 05:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Have/Want ListView JoshSherman's Have/Want List
So I won an eBay auction for four Regrowth at 18.50 shipped. Then I realized I was half awake when I bought it and that Regrowth was unrestricted in Vintage, not Legacy. Side note, why would it be unrestricted in Legacy when there's no restricted list for Legacy? So, anyway, they are played UNL versions. I think I did ok, though because I can trade three of them off at six to "make my money back" if I don't keep them. Or, if they explode for some reason, I guess I just made a killing.

Demilio
posted April 22, 2013 05:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Commander Bans:

Staff of Domination is UNBANNED

Trade Secrets is BANNED

iccarus
posted April 22, 2013 05:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Demilio:
Commander Bans:

Trade Secrets is BANNED

Wooo-hooo, I missed my staff. Overreaction when they re-banned Rofellos, IMHO.

Trade Secrets seems a little out of left field, but I pretty much had an "oh yeah" moment when I saw it there.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

Volcanon
posted April 22, 2013 06:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The much funner Commander format.

<http://duelcommander.com/>

Vanishing is banned
Humility is banned
Protean Hulk is unbanned
Bitterblossom is unbanned
Staff of Domination is unbanned

Sweet, I can play with my DCI Bitterblossoms again. w00t.

Because I didn't remember, Vanishing is from Visions. It's on there because Zur abused it, because phasing doesn't make auras fall off.

hilikuS
posted April 22, 2013 06:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
ERR MER GERD! They tossed Vintage a bone for once.

I always try to respect the dead whenever possible.

Revane
posted April 22, 2013 07:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Revane Click Here to Email Revane Send a private message to Revane Click to send Revane an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Revane's Have/Want ListView Revane's Have/Want List
I'm going to say that the unbanning of the staff, while great is a not so good idea. I say this because there are a lot of people (including myself) That run elf EDH's with Elvish Archdruid. So that just helps get your infinite out even quicker. While I agree that this is a good card it's going to (for some people) speed up the format that much more, and that's not what it's supposed to be about. I know I always have to option of not running the staff in my deck, but I would be almost a sin not to.

Long story short Staff of Domination is a solid card, but for those who abuse it, its going to make there nuclear reactor go critical mass, and nuke the board possibly turn 4 or 5.

choco man
posted April 22, 2013 01:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JoshSherman:
So I won an eBay auction for four Regrowth at 18.50 shipped. Then I realized I was half awake when I bought it and that Regrowth was unrestricted in Vintage, not Legacy. Side note, why would it be unrestricted in Legacy when there's no restricted list for Legacy? So, anyway, they are played UNL versions. I think I did ok, though because I can trade three of them off at six to "make my money back" if I don't keep them. Or, if they explode for some reason, I guess I just made a killing.

Legacy and Vintage are different because of the mana available to you.

and

In Vintage, you get to Regrowth Time Walk, Ancestral Recall, etc. Compare that to what's in Legacy.

Zeckk
posted April 22, 2013 01:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Revane:
I'm going to say that the unbanning of the staff, while great is a not so good idea. I say this because there are a lot of people (including myself) That run elf EDH's with Elvish Archdruid. So that just helps get your infinite out even quicker. While I agree that this is a good card it's going to (for some people) speed up the format that much more, and that's not what it's supposed to be about. I know I always have to option of not running the staff in my deck, but I would be almost a sin not to.

Long story short Staff of Domination is a solid card, but for those who abuse it, its going to make there nuclear reactor go critical mass, and nuke the board possibly turn 4 or 5.

If your opponent can't interact with mana dorks by turn 4, they need to work on their deck, plain and simple.

MAB_Rapper
posted April 22, 2013 01:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Demilio:
Commander Bans:

Trade Secrets is BANNED

Where was that confirmed?

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

choco man
posted April 22, 2013 02:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MAB_Rapper:
Where was that confirmed?

the official EDH site

Bugger
posted April 22, 2013 02:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
hah, **** you combo

revenger
posted April 22, 2013 02:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
the official EDH site

Link with confirmation? as I cant find it.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

iccarus
posted April 22, 2013 02:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JoshSherman:

I don't think Regrowth is poised to "explode" in value. The card was printed in four sets, so the supply should be fairly strong. Any bump will be marginal because, really, who plays vintage anymore?

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

stinkinogre
posted April 22, 2013 02:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stinkinogre Click Here to Email stinkinogre Send a private message to stinkinogre Click to send stinkinogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stinkinogre's Have/Want ListView stinkinogre's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by revenger:
Link with confirmation? as I cant find it.

I'm not seeing that either.

Edit.
It was in their forums.
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15735

[Edited 1 times, lastly by stinkinogre on April 22, 2013]

Vegas10
posted April 22, 2013 04:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:
Short term sunrise needed to go, but extra turns is probably not the ideal way to deal with the clock. If combo decks can take twenty minute turns, then the system is broken. I'd prefer if wizards took the time to look for a new way of ending a round so cards don't pop up in the future and do this again

They have been Runnig tourneys this way for most of magic's existence and this is the first card they banned for time restraints and you want a revamp of the whole system, really? Toruney system works pretty good as is (at least the time and extra turn part) if one card in 20 years has caused this issue, I think it's safe to say we won't have alot of these in the future, banning the card is the right long and short term solution.

B14ckM4g3
posted April 22, 2013 04:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View B14ckM4g3's Have/Want ListView B14ckM4g3's Have/Want List
eh it's still kinda aggravating. While nobody likes playing against eggs, modern is almost a 'turn sideways' format. Combo constantly gets the short end in modern. Just kinda sad.

Vegas10
posted April 22, 2013 05:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by B14ckM4g3:
eh it's still kinda aggravating. While nobody likes playing against eggs, modern is almost a 'turn sideways' format. Combo constantly gets the short end in modern. Just kinda sad.

Over the last few years Magic is at an all time high for popularity and standard tournies have the biggest tournouts they have ever had, and there are no real viable combo decks, WOTC wants modern to be popular and alot of people hate playing against combo decks where they watch their opponent for 10 mins do a bunch of stuff then lose, they would rather lose to a cheated out fattie like emrakul, because it is done quickly and there is interaction. so better get use to it, if you want degenerate combo decks become a legacy player, or if you can find it Vintage, and EDH as well.

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League