Magic Discussion
  People that don't contribute (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   People that don't contribute
marlo213
posted April 15, 2013 11:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
This is something that has bothered me for awhile but just haven't put into words until now. I know that money is tight for some people and magic is a hobby that you can have for no money at all if you don't play competitive. I don't think people should quit the game because of financial reasons, but I think there should be a common decency that every magic player should have when visiting their local gaming store. YOU SHOULD SUPPORT YOUR GAMING STORE IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

Story Time:
A couple of weeks ago, we needed a last person for a draft but most of the other people were in a tournament, so the employee approached the edh guys that always hangs out at the corner of the store (there were around 8-12 of them). They are all pretty okay guys, and I have played casual games with most of them. When the employee asked if any of them wanted to draft, not only did all of them say no, but actually scoffed at the idea of paying for a draft with comments like :

"Are you paying for me?"

"I would never pay for a draft!"

And I was astonished! I mean, I have never seen people so adamant about not spending money at the lgs. I spoke to the employee afterwards and he told me that it was a long shot anyway because he knew that those guys just go and play casual and that's it.

This past weekend, a similar situation happened where a lot of guys got knocked out of FNM and wanted to get an edh tourney going and I guess they needed 8 for the store to support it, but came 1 short. So they asked the casual edh guys if any of the would pay $5 and play. NO ONE EVEN LOOKED UP!

This gets worse, so after like an hour or so, they finally got enough people to play but all the other tables were taken by FNM and yugioh tournament, so the employee had to ask casual guys to vacate their table and 3 of guys threw the biggest fit ever! Saying garbage like:

"We were here first! Tell the yugioh people to move! I am never coming back again if this is the kind of customer service here!"

After like 10 minutes of arguing, they finally had to spread out throughout the store. When it came to closing time, I was one of the last ones out, I saw that the casual group left a huge mess behind (I am talking spilled soda, potato chips, candy wrapper, etc all over the floor when there are like 8 trash can spread throughout the store).

I helped the employees clean up a bit and asked if this has ever happened before and they all just said that the owner wants all the customers to be happy and unless they start "real" problems, to just let them be.

So these guys, not only didn't contribute to the store financially, they actually drain the store of resources, and the guts to "threaten" to never comeback!

I have never understood why certain stores in the past had a "you can't trade and play in my store unless you are paying customer" but after that night, I am switching sides. Any of you guys seen this kind of negative behavior?

junichi
posted April 15, 2013 11:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
I understand where you are coming from.

I rarely participate in FNM, and I don't hangout at my LGS that often nowadays, but I always try to buy something (soda, sleeves, singles) every time I visit the store to support it.

rockondon
posted April 15, 2013 12:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
Another way you can support your store is to not turn a blind eye when one of its patrons gets ripped off by like $1000 of cards.

marlo213
posted April 15, 2013 12:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by rockondon:
Another way you can support your store is to not turn a blind eye when one of its patrons gets ripped off by like $1000 of cards.

I didn't turn a blind eye, I let an adult make his own decision in life with his own resources (who also was very happy about the trade). From your statement, you have to be one of people that's responsible for sucking the life out of the lgs with your selfishness/righteousness

junichi
posted April 15, 2013 12:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by rockondon:

quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:
I didn't turn a blind eye, I let an adult make his own decision in life with his own resources (who also was very happy about the trade). From your statement, you have to be one of people that's responsible for sucking the life out of the lgs with your selfishness/righteousness

Don't turn this into another troll thread.

fedorables
posted April 15, 2013 01:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fedorables Send a private message to fedorables Click to send fedorables an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fedorables's Have/Want ListView fedorables's Have/Want List
Getting this back on topic...

I find these types of players among the worst kind.

I have no problem if you don't exactly contribute, but please don't cause problems for your game shop. At my shop, there used to be a couple guys who'd play casual games on one of the back tables. They didn't make much noise and would clean up after themselves. But oh no, forbid that we get a busy night for FNM every now and then. They'd rather hold up a draft for a half hour of arguing than move literally two chairs down the table so we could draft. That kind of behavior deters new players, or at least makes them look for another lgs to play at. Which means less income for the store and makes it harder to get enough people to play a tourney. It's one thing to be mad at being interrupted in your fun, a whole other thing when you're ruining the fun for a dozen other people.

JoshSherman
posted April 15, 2013 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Have/Want ListView JoshSherman's Have/Want List
I have no issue with people scoffing at a draft. I mean, yeah it shows them for the jerkoffs they are, but so what? I don't like to pay for drafts either, and I rarely do. And I used to be a dick about it when I was asked. I grew up. Either they will too, or they will move on when they realize no one likes them.

As for leaving trash and stuff, the employees should step in and correct that immediately, and only have themselves to blame if they don't.

Devonin
posted April 15, 2013 01:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
What exactly is the problem with not wanting to stop what you're doing and pay money to participate in a format you don't enjoy?

Deathbydrawing
posted April 15, 2013 02:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbydrawing Click Here to Email Deathbydrawing Send a private message to Deathbydrawing Click to send Deathbydrawing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Deathbydrawing's Have/Want ListView Deathbydrawing's Have/Want List
My LGS is kind of the opposite. The owner has started ripping off loyal customers by charging NM prices for played cards, adding an extra dollar to the packs he sells, trying not to give exact change back on purchases with cash, offering to buy NM Liliana of the Veils for $18 now, and i even caught him adding singles and tournament entries to my tab that i never bought or played in. I'm actually looking for other stores to play at now because of this owner. Sometimes it's not the customer but the person who owns and manages the shop.

Volcanon
posted April 15, 2013 02:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would hate to run a magic store. Bad margins and magic customers are the worst.

mm1983
posted April 15, 2013 04:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
If people don't want to play a tournament for one reason or another that's fine but those same people should at least respect the store and the other players by not saying any negative comments about the tournament. Most people are good about not leaving trash around but for the few that don't that's what you have employees for. As the store owner make them go back and clean it up. As a store owner if you set up event times each week, same events at the same time each week there should be no dispute about leaving a table when the store owner asks you to.

My LGS gets packed on Saturday afternoons for Yugioh from 12-4. I would say at least 40-60 people a week on any given week all of which at least pay $1 to play or buy product. Yugioh players know that when 4 comes around that it's time to leave and is usually only told once by the store owner or employees. Magic event starts at 4 every Saturday either booster draft or standard or every few months the pre release event. Saturday events only get 10-15 people usually unless its prerelease day. Store I play at is also in a mall so anyone who is there at 9 is forced to leave because the mall closes at that time.

chaos021
posted April 15, 2013 10:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
This is aimed at marlo213.

Does the store you go to not have a sign that says something to effect of "[warhammer/mtg/yugioh/etc] events have priority for space" during some designated hours? That what the store I go to does, and it works out fine. Then again, I don't think I've ever met jackholes on that level in my store before.

WeedIan
posted April 15, 2013 10:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
I always try and explain to people that if they don't support the store eventually it wont' be around.

9th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

keywacat
posted April 16, 2013 01:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
The first two bits jumped out at me, about drafting and FNM. At the bigger LGS in Prague its common to backdraft cards after the draft, so if you suck at drafting like I do you don't even get the compensation of keeping what you drafted. Since the only satisfaction I get from drafting is the possibility of filtering packs for EDH playable cards and helping 'round out the pod' backdrafting is a deal-breaker for me.

Once I was thrown out of a draft right before packs were opened. No one had checked beforehand that everyone was ok with backdrafting, and I was the only one that was not.

As for FNM...to stop an EDH game to pay to play something you're probably not prepared for, why hold that against someone? Even if you loan them a deck they most likely will have very little skill in playing it.

In essence I think they are cretins for their slovenly manners and failure to police their play area, not for declining to play things they didn't come to play.

MAB_Rapper
posted April 16, 2013 05:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
I would hate to run a magic store. Bad margins and Yugioh customers are the worst.

Fixed. Seriously, if you think magic players are bad, these kids are by far the worst. They don't know how to clean up aftewr themselves and curse so much more than grown people do. It is so bad that Konami has made it where a store can DQ a player for not cleaning up his trash.

quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
Does the store you go to not have a sign that says something to effect of "[warhammer/mtg/yugioh/etc] events have priority for space" during some designated hours? That what the store I go to does, and it works out fine. Then again, I don't think I've ever met jackholes on that level in my store before.

I will say this about my LGS. THere is no signage like you are stating. However, it is a known fact that tournaments take priority over everything, regardless of the event.

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MAB_Rapper on April 16, 2013]

marlo213
posted April 16, 2013 06:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
What exactly is the problem with not wanting to stop what you're doing and pay money to participate in a format you don't enjoy?

There seem to be some confusion about this and that some people may have the wrong idea. So let me help you out, you are not entitled to ANYTHING in your store. The primary objective of a store is to make money and if you are obstructing that purpose, then you need to check yourself and don't be astonished if the store owner/employee treats you like ****.

Stores have play areas so they can run events to make money, it just so happens that there may be extra space for casual people to hang out and no, there does not need to be a sign to let you know what takes precedence (common sense should be enough).

And also no, not all customers are treated equally, if you just freeload and the store only gets 4 FTV boxes, odds are, it's not gonna go to you.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by marlo213 on April 16, 2013]

hilikuS
posted April 16, 2013 08:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
There seem to be some confusion about this and that some people may have the wrong idea. So let me help you out, you are not entitled to ANYTHING in your store. The primary objective of a store is to make money and if you are obstructing that purpose, then you need to check yourself and don't be astonished if the store owner/employee treats you like ****.

Pretty much. Nothing more of a pet peeve for me than people who expect something because they exist.

iccarus
posted April 16, 2013 08:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
I would hate to run a magic store. Bad margins and magic customers are the worst.

I have to agree with MAB, Yugioh players are on average far worse than most of the least desirable magic players I have encountered. Yes, you still get some of those mouth-breathing creeps who drone on endlessly about their favorite deck and have poor hygiene, but the little snots at my LGS on YGO days far outnumber that portion of the magic population.

Of course, all players tend to be bad in some way. My least favorite is watching people brag to the manager/owner how they got this book or this mini so much cheaper after buying online.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by iccarus on April 16, 2013]

Lord Crovax
posted April 16, 2013 08:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Stores have play areas so they can run events to make money, it just so happens that there may be extra space for casual people to hang out and no, there does not need to be a sign to let you know what takes precedence (common sense should be enough).

And also no, not all customers are treated equally, if you just freeload and the store only gets 4 FTV boxes, odds are, it's not gonna go to you.

for once I 100% agree, seen plenty of freeloaders myself, I for one refuse to be one, always buy something, even if funds are low.

harbingerofthevoid
posted April 16, 2013 10:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
Yep. I've known three people who have owned stores. None of them own stores now for pretty much this topic.

mcelraca
posted April 16, 2013 11:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
I have no problem passing up events at the lgs.

Saying that, I purposely buy singles from them to support the business. I know I could get my cards cheaper online, and do at times, but i very rarely walk out of the store without some sort of impulse buy.

This strange sense of entitlement people have is what I really wanted to comment on. I get more frustrated everyday when I see people just behaving poorly.

I don't know if the false sense of superiority parents instill in their children that is finally catching up to us, or if its the slow deterioration of our society brought on by reality television and the internet, but it's bad.

It astonishes me just how selfish people are these days. Leaving garbage because you were asked to move is ridiculous. Actions like that really show the maturity level of the players/groups involved. I hope the owner remembers all parties involved and asks them to play elsewhere.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mcelraca on April 16, 2013]

fwybwed
posted April 16, 2013 01:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fwybwed Click Here to Email fwybwed Send a private message to fwybwed Click to send fwybwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you guys were just trying to "poke the bear" lol

Devonin
posted April 16, 2013 04:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
quote:

Not sure how "I don't want to pay money to play in a format I don't like, and didn't want to play" is "being a freeloader"

junichi
posted April 16, 2013 04:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:

Not sure how "I don't want to pay money to play in a format I don't like, and didn't want to play" is "being a freeloader"

You are missing the part of the story where the casual players threw a tantrum because they were asked to vacate their seats for people who paid for the tournament.

Devonin
posted April 16, 2013 05:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
They were two separate anecdotes on separate days, with for all we know, separate people.

The first one was essentially "Pod needed an 8th, they asked some guys playing casual EDH, and none of them wanted to pay to draft" with an undertone of "What *******s"

I'm failing to get why that makes someone a jerk. I wouldn't stop a game of EDH to go pay money to draft either. I'm not a jerk, I don't freeload off my LGS, I just don't like drafting, and don't like spending money doing things I don't enjoy.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League