Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What are some awful combos you have heard/seen? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What are some awful combos you have heard/seen?
shaselai
posted June 18, 2010 07:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for shaselai Click Here to Email shaselai Send a private message to shaselai Click to send shaselai an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Kinda of a joke thread where people can put down stupid(not stupidly good) combos they have seen/heard and share?

There's one guy i heard saying that he wished Stifle would come back so he can put it in his Bant deck and use it on his Novablast wurms. His rationale was after he novablasted the field with 1 novablast wurm, he can deal 14 damage the turn after by stifling both of his wurms.....

sure it could work but it just seems silly..

[Edited 1 times, lastly by shaselai on June 18, 2010]

OGB
posted June 18, 2010 08:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for OGB Click Here to Email OGB Send a private message to OGB Click to send OGB an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Try to watch the language. The R word is a big no-no.

coolio
posted June 18, 2010 08:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
there's this 5 yr old kitchen countertop casual combo going around the t2 circuit.. I hear it's sovereigns of lost alara + conscription in the deck + an attacker.

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

shaselai
posted June 18, 2010 08:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for shaselai Click Here to Email shaselai Send a private message to shaselai Click to send shaselai an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
there's this 5 yr old kitchen countertop casual combo going around the t2 circuit.. I hear it's sovereigns of lost alara + conscription in the deck + an attacker.

©

but it is good enough for lots of people to use? but it can be broken up pretty easily..

-PoX-
posted June 18, 2010 08:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for -PoX- Click Here to Email -PoX- Send a private message to -PoX- Click to send -PoX- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My combo is to cast bloodbraid elf

dying2live2k2
posted June 18, 2010 03:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dying2live2k2 Send a private message to dying2live2k2 Click to send dying2live2k2 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dying2live2k2's Have/Want ListView dying2live2k2's Have/Want List

False Cure:
"until end of turn, whenever a player gains life, that player loses 2 life for each 1 life he or she gained."

False Cure combined with alot of cards that allows you to play it for free at the cost of giving your opponent life. I've never seen this actually pulled off, I'd say the chances of this going off are very slim. You would never get away with it unless it was a casual game either. Who knows, maybe someday it will be possible? But I somehow doubt it.

caquaa
posted June 18, 2010 05:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
I used Emrakul + Jace TMS in EDH. It was the best thing ever....

play Emrakul, take extra turn, annihilate for 6, remove counter from Jace to bounce Emrakul....

repeat!

5 counters on jace. People scooped when they saw the second attack and realized the number of counters left. Good times.

Buying MM counterspells for my counterspell collection. Click me!

Global basic Island collection needs your help!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

dongs
posted June 18, 2010 10:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dongs Click Here to Email dongs Send a private message to dongs Click to send dongs an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dying2live2k2:

False Cure:
"until end of turn, whenever a player gains life, that player loses 2 life for each 1 life he or she gained."

False Cure combined with alot of cards that allows you to play it for free at the cost of giving your opponent life. I've never seen this actually pulled off, I'd say the chances of this going off are very slim. You would never get away with it unless it was a casual game either. Who knows, maybe someday it will be possible? But I somehow doubt it.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=225819

Tranderas
posted June 18, 2010 11:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tranderas Click Here to Email Tranderas Click to send Tranderas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tranderas's Trade Auction or SaleView Tranderas's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

False Cure:

You clearly haven't heard of the Dream Halls deck in legacy. This is a real deck, although by no means tier 1.

oneofchaos
posted June 18, 2010 11:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
I used Emrakul + Jace TMS in EDH. It was the best thing ever....

play Emrakul, take extra turn, annihilate for 6, remove counter from Jace to bounce Emrakul....

repeat!

5 counters on jace. People scooped when they saw the second attack and realized the number of counters left. Good times.

Playing type 4 four I had a similar opener. I was on the play and I had a hand of 3 cards I don't care about, emrakul, karakas. What a funny draw.

rockondon
posted June 19, 2010 07:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
A stupid combo I used to use in multiplayer was nevinyrral's disk + false cure. The reason it hurt people was because everyone I played with always played with congregate and they always saved it for wrath-type effects that killed everyone's creatures. So after they all finished announcing that they casted congregate in response to the disk I'd respond by casting false cure.
It was an idiotic combo but it was effective in my group.

|~~My #1 Angel~~l'_|'_|_|)
|(@)(@)""***|(@)(@)**|(@)

dying2live2k2
posted June 19, 2010 12:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dying2live2k2 Send a private message to dying2live2k2 Click to send dying2live2k2 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dying2live2k2's Have/Want ListView dying2live2k2's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Tranderas:
You clearly haven't heard of the Dream Halls deck in legacy. This is a real deck, although by no means tier 1.

Actually, yes I have. But what does this have to do with anything?

Tranderas
posted June 19, 2010 01:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tranderas Click Here to Email Tranderas Click to send Tranderas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tranderas's Trade Auction or SaleView Tranderas's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Actually, yes I have. But what does this have to do with anything?

You can't really call it a "cawful combo" if it's good enough for a real deck in a real format.

WestWycke
posted June 19, 2010 05:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WestWycke Click Here to Email WestWycke Click to send WestWycke an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, as they're more downright weird than awful, but I've played every one of these (mostly in mulitplayer) just for the strange looks I get.

Ivory Mask --> Hive Mind --> Neverending Torment

Rites of Flourishing, Howling Mine, any infinite life combo, Arbiter of Knollridge. Games are sooo much more fun when everyone has 10 million life... and you have a mill deck.

Rite of Replication (kicked) and Ink-Treader Nephilim

Planar Guide and Gather Specimens

Aura Thief and Enchanted Evening

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

danieljloeb
posted June 20, 2010 12:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for danieljloeb Click Here to Email danieljloeb Click to send danieljloeb an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have a junk deck called "Plunk".

(skip decklist to COMBO if you like)

4x Lotus Cobra
4x Knight of the Reliquary
3x Birds of Paradise
4x Elvish Piper
2x Master of the Wild Hunt
3x Platinum Angel
1x Baneslayer Angel
1x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1x Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

1x Garruk

3x Path to Exile
2x Maestrom Pulse
1x Vines of the Vastwood
1x Emerge Unscathed
1x Summoning Trap
1x Ad Nauseam
1x Repay in Kind

3x Sejiri Steppe
3x Marsh Flats
4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Tectonic Edge
3x Stirring Wildwood
2x Plains
2x Swamp
6x Forest
1x Eye of Ugin

Although the combo is not the main objective of the deck, it can happen in as many as 1 in 10 games. So here it is:

(COMBO)

With a platinum angel in play.

If your opponent casts a targeting removal spell on platinum angel, cast Ad Nauseam in response. Otherwise do it at the end of their turn.

If there is no response to your casting Ad Nauseam, it cannot be interrupted as you continue to draw cards.

(If there is another removal spell in response, hopefully you can use Knight of Rel.'s ability to pull a Sejiri Steppe into play and get through it. Otherwise only draw 1 card and hope it's not Emrakul).

So Ad Nauseam happens and you draw cards, going to negative life, until you have the following cards in your hand:

Repay in Kind
Vines of the Vastwood AND/OR Emerge Unscathed

At the beginning of your next turn cast Repay in Kind to bring your opponent to whatever your life total is (should be around negative 80). This is especially fun in games with more than 2 players, but the deck is competitive in serious play.

And BTW, if anyone uses this deck idea I hope they'll remember to call it "Plunk" (or "Plunk, by Dan Loeb" if you're not into the whole brevity thing).

(Named for being a PLatinum angel deck with jUNK colors -- PLUNK. Also, that's what happens to everyone's life totals when its combo goes off.)

dying2live2k2
posted June 20, 2010 08:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dying2live2k2 Click to send dying2live2k2 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dying2live2k2's Have/Want ListView dying2live2k2's Have/Want List
quote:
You can't really call it a "cawful combo" if it's good enough for a real deck in a real format.

Dream Halls actually won tournaments. I don't think anyone in their right mind would play Cure in the legacy format. Also, just because it came off of Salvation doesn't make it a viable deck.

Tranderas
posted June 20, 2010 10:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tranderas Click Here to Email Tranderas Click to send Tranderas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tranderas's Trade Auction or SaleView Tranderas's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Dream Halls actually won tournaments. I don't think anyone in their right mind would play Cure in the legacy format. Also, just because it came off of Salvation doesn't make it a viable deck.

The False Cure combo is IN the dream halls deck. It's the same concept, except a more streamlined way to win that uses 3-5 less cards which means 3-5 more slots you have for control magic or tutors. With the False Cure win instead of the Ultimatum-Hellkite win, it's a better, more compact combo. So again, it's a viable deck (False Cure Dream Halls) that has already won niche tournaments and therefore doesn't belong here.

Malice327
posted June 20, 2010 11:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Malice327 Click Here to Email Malice327 Send a private message to Malice327 Click to send Malice327 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
personally, i HATE the hive mind, any pact spell crap. Nothing quite like first turn vampiric tutor, second turn dark ritual dark ritual, hive mind, PAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTS.... gg...

I love using false cure with swords to plowshares... especially with all the big creatures lately.

ULAMOG = lose 11 life...

MAB_Rapper
posted June 20, 2010 03:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
Endless Whispers + Phage, the Untouchbale + any Sac engine

Co-Founder of Long Island's Newest Vintage Team - Team of Towers

Cracking the Top 100 Ref Count - 4/1/10 (Currently #92)

boootlegger
Banned
posted June 20, 2010 07:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for boootlegger Click Here to Email boootlegger Send a private message to boootlegger Click to send boootlegger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I remember back in the days of dark ritual.

One of my friends casted dark ritual and then said done! lol

You shouldve seen everyone just look at him! lol

BL

dying2live2k2
posted June 20, 2010 08:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dying2live2k2 Send a private message to dying2live2k2 Click to send dying2live2k2 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dying2live2k2's Have/Want ListView dying2live2k2's Have/Want List
quote:
The False Cure combo is IN the dream halls deck. It's the same concept, except a more streamlined way to win that uses 3-5 less cards which means 3-5 more slots you have for control magic or tutors. With the False Cure win instead of the Ultimatum-Hellkite win, it's a better, more compact combo. So again, it's a viable deck (False Cure Dream Halls) that has already won niche tournaments and therefore doesn't belong here.

Oh ok, I did some research and I see what you are referring to now. I suppose the context I was using it in was slightly different than the Dream Halls + False Cure + Beacon of Immortality combo that you pointed out. Not too many people seem to be running False Cure, maybe that's why I never heard of it?

rockondon
posted June 20, 2010 11:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
I remember a guy playing lure + venom + regeneration on a creature. His deck was built around it. We'd usually leave him be until turn 12 or so when he finally was able to get all 3 enchantments on a creature...that's when one of us would StP it.

I remember another guy playing forcefield + urza's armor and then 'graciously' offered the rest of us the opportunity to concede since he felt those two cards together rendered him virtually unkillable...lol.

I made a deck with hell's caretaker + intruder alarm and I thought it was awesome at the time.

|~~My #1 Angel~~l'_|'_|_|)
|(@)(@)""***|(@)(@)**|(@)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by rockondon on June 22, 2010]

comboking
posted June 21, 2010 05:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for comboking Click Here to Email comboking Send a private message to comboking Click to send comboking an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View comboking's Have/Want ListView comboking's Have/Want List
Been meaning to try fitting this into a seismic assault deck (casual play, of course)
scouting trek + treasure hunt

also, I've always been fond of
spellweaver helix + revive + any random sorcery

boootlegger
Banned
posted June 21, 2010 02:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for boootlegger Click Here to Email boootlegger Send a private message to boootlegger Click to send boootlegger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you can get these cards out (and at the time, I usually did).

This was back in the days when oath of druids was T2 or thereabouts, dont quite remember.

my combo was:

play oath, play altat of dementia

then rector the angelic chorus to play.

then play serra avatar gain 20 life and then sack to altar and mill my opponent of 40 cards! lol

It was so fun

Most of the time, I didnt even need the chorus as there were so many other cards that made you gain life.

=)

BL

ryan2754
posted June 21, 2010 08:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
I play a combo deck with Sunder + Seismic Assault.

Bunch of card draw, gushes, trade routes...

Oh, and have Telepathy + Blood Oath...I love getting 12 life out of them with two cards.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League