Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What type of binder do YOU use?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What type of binder do YOU use?
anklbreka20
posted April 05, 2013 08:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for anklbreka20 Click Here to Email anklbreka20 Send a private message to anklbreka20 Click to send anklbreka20 an Instant MessageVisit anklbreka20's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd like to survey the MOTL community to see which binders are not only more popular, but protect cards the best. I'm looking to move a many of my $100+ cards from top loaders into binders to carry for trading/selling.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

hilikuS
posted April 05, 2013 08:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
I got some Ultra Pro "Pro-Binders" from mini market, and they have been solid. My modern binder has got to have like at least 500 cards in it, probably closer to 1000. Durable so far but I've only had it since December. If you get the side loading binders (although this is probably a good idea for any binder) I would suggest sleeving the cards when you put em in. Sometimes people like grab stuff in awkward ways and can damage the cards when they try to yoke em out. Plus it keeps the cards from sliding around.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on April 05, 2013]

Thanos
posted April 05, 2013 09:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I use 9 pocket page Monster Binders, but I make sure the cards are perfect size sleeved before they go in.

AGO
posted April 05, 2013 09:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
The Ultra Pro soft cover binders are the best by far. The cover helps protect them when in a backpack. They look great. I would also reccomend that you sleeve the cards before placing then in a binder. I have had these binders since they cam out and I havent had a card damaged from any of the design features. I do not like the Monster binders due the fact it can curl your cards that are placed near the spine. They also fit to tight making it harder to get a sleeved card out.

MasterWolf
posted April 05, 2013 10:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
I use 9 pocket page Monster Binders, but I make sure the cards are perfect size sleeved before they go in.

I do this. Although I also use the soft cover ultra-pros. The one issue with the ultras is that the cards sit way too loose. You need to put them in a sleeve or stack them.

daner
posted April 05, 2013 11:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
I use 9 pocket page Monster Binders

The only thing I do differently is stack cards up to 3-4 per slot if I have duplicates. Most of my stuff is standard legal, so it's not like I'm carrying duals, or power that needs perfect fitted.

If I get a nice foil I'll put it in a dragonshield before it goes in, but other than that...just put them in the binder sleeves without any other protection.

Thanos
posted April 05, 2013 12:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You have to put cards in some kinda sleeve before you put then in monster binders, or else they pick up a smell and will have the dimples in the back( which come off after time if it does happen).

People that use monster binders know exactly what I'm talking about.

Edited correcting IPhone's broken English.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Thanos on April 05, 2013]

Lemonjuice
posted April 05, 2013 12:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lemonjuice Click Here to Email Lemonjuice Send a private message to Lemonjuice Click to send Lemonjuice an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Lemonjuice's Have/Want ListView Lemonjuice's Have/Want List
Penny sleeve or like a standard deck sleeve?

Thanos
posted April 05, 2013 01:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I use perfect fits, but deck sleeves would be fine, I think penny sleeves would slide too much.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Thanos on April 05, 2013]

MasterWolf
posted April 05, 2013 02:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
quote:

People that use monster binders know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yep.

junichi
posted April 05, 2013 03:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
I use perfect fits, but deck sleeves would be fine, I think penny sleeves would slid too much.

+1

BoltBait
posted April 05, 2013 04:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BoltBait Click Here to Email BoltBait Send a private message to BoltBait Click to send BoltBait an Instant MessageVisit BoltBait's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you're going to be taking this binder with you, you'll probably want to get one with a zipper around the outside so you don't lose any cards.

Something like this:

Hope this helps.

Markers
posted April 06, 2013 11:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Markers Click Here to Email Markers Send a private message to Markers Click to send Markers an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I use this one.

Stuff like this is expensive as hell here in Switzerland...aorund $9 - $10 for each binder alone.

And every card is sleeved as well..

Total signed cards: >35'000

my stuff

my nearly complete signed sets

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Markers on April 06, 2013]

spike777
posted April 07, 2013 01:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for spike777 Click Here to Email spike777 Send a private message to spike777 Click to send spike777 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View spike777's Have/Want ListView spike777's Have/Want List
Another +1 in huge support for the ultra pro probinder (the faux-leather one). Super nice. Also sleeve everything before it goes in. I don't like perfect fits only because its still really easy to nick the exposed side. Either deck sleeves, penny sleeves, or preferably double sleeved. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to double sleeve everything- I'm working toward it slowly.

caquaa
posted April 07, 2013 08:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by BoltBait:
If you're going to be taking this binder with you, you'll probably want to get one with a zipper around the outside so you don't lose any cards.

meh, I'd disagree. Ring binders are terrible. No matter how careful you are, there is always someone who isn't careful. You don't warn people until you see them doing something you need to warn them about, by then its too late. Using the ultra pro binders is the way to go. The cheap colorful ones are just as good as the "leather" ones on the inside.

choco man
posted April 07, 2013 08:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
Ring binders are terrible. I use ring binders. Flame away

Still no binder dings on my collection, cross fingers.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on April 07, 2013]

Kelldroth
posted April 13, 2013 12:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kelldroth Click Here to Email Kelldroth Send a private message to Kelldroth Click to send Kelldroth an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I use the old leather bound Card Album portfolios. As far as I know, they haven't been produced in quite a few years, but I bought Troll and Toad out of them on clearance about 3 years back (I still have about 50 that haven't been used). They're durable, classic style toploading without any real issues, and came in a variety of random fantasy art covers.

The Ultra Pro faux-leathers also get some use since I've picked up a few in collections.

jshields
posted April 14, 2013 06:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Personally, I have been mostly getting 3-ring 2-3 inch thickness binders that would normally be used as either school or office notebooks from Office Max to store my 9 slot plastic sleeves of cards. While I know many people here have smaller binders that they may want for personal choice of fashion // design or that they carry in their backpacks, etc..., I work as a contracted Magic dealer through a local game store or two that has 4 large plastic binders with an inventory totaling over $30,000 alone in cards that retail over $4.50 or more each that barely fit into a locked fire safe. I also carry another $2000-$7000 in cards in a separate 3 ring binder whose retail prices fluctuate between $2.60 - $4.35 each that I cannot get to fit into the same fire safe. While I can choose to use a small metal display case with a glass face for my very highest value items, I feel that this case has a higher chance of being broken into by shoplifters, and sometimes feel stumped on what to do on secure storage and portability when I carry some of these cards to trade at major events at other nearby stores and venues. The remaining approximately 350,000 cards that I cannot carry are either stored in a library microfiche cabinet for organized cheap commons // uncommons or are prominently displayed in row boxes for cheap rares // foils, midrange value rares and mythics, popular commons // uncommons.

The big problem I have though for my higher-value cards is that the binders' hinges wear out quickly, their 3 rings can get bent pretty easily causing card pages to fall out, and the binders do not always come in the shapes I need to lock up in my fire safe.

I normally take my high-end cards in plain large notebooks in a backpack with a lock, but tend not to be flashy to reduce the risk of theft. Due to my having contracted with a local store, which takes a lot of my time away from MOTL (unlike what I have been known for in the past), I do not know many of the newer and current members who may carry such a high quantity or value inventory, but I would love to get advice from any member that is either a dealer or has a store that may have info on a durable (ideally metal), locking binders that are easily portable in something like a backpack that does not call much attention to itself. I can be reached by my email listed on my profile or in-person if anyone has some good advice there.

Volcanon
posted April 14, 2013 07:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
No-Ring binders from ultra pro. Though I trade so infrequently that mostly my stuff sits in a box.

Lemonjuice
posted April 15, 2013 12:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lemonjuice Click Here to Email Lemonjuice Send a private message to Lemonjuice Click to send Lemonjuice an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Lemonjuice's Have/Want ListView Lemonjuice's Have/Want List
I just bought an ultra pro pro binder and a booster pack. Binder cost $20 and I pulled a geist of saint traft.. Free binder!

It's a solid binder I like it a lot more than standard three ring.

Trag3dy
posted April 15, 2013 06:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Trag3dy Click Here to Email Trag3dy Send a private message to Trag3dy Click to send Trag3dy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I use monster binders with perfect fits. used old deck sleeves a while back, then decided to stop being a cheap *** and spend the $15 on some decent sleeves since i trade so much anyway. I do not like the ultra pro version of these, I feel like the pages are too loose, and prefer a tighter fit on my cards.

Trag3dy

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League