Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What to do with extra cards?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What to do with extra cards?
MrAwesome
posted March 17, 2013 03:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MrAwesome Click Here to Email MrAwesome Send a private message to MrAwesome Click to send MrAwesome an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MrAwesome's Have/Want ListView MrAwesome's Have/Want List
Whether you buy cases or enter a lot of sealed competitions, we all have more cards than we know what to do with.

What do you all do with them?

When I check prices at TCGPlayer.com, there are a million stores selling every card available... but who buys all these commons that aren't worth anything? Even the bulk rares that are only going for 30 cents...?

Is listing a lot of 1000 random cards on ebay for 5 bucks even worth it?

I am sitting on tons of cards that I will never touch again and wold love to do something productive with them.

Was curious what you guys thought.

-d

Zeckk
posted March 17, 2013 03:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
A friend of mine puts up ebay lots of 1000 cards, 50 of which are essentially bulk rares, the rest are commons/uncommons. They usually sell for 45-50 each, and it's a nice way to recoup value from the chaff you collect from drafting or prize packs.

Devonin
posted March 17, 2013 03:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
I make menger sponges for people.

paragondave
posted March 17, 2013 04:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
wallpaper

stizkidz
posted March 17, 2013 05:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stizkidz Click Here to Email stizkidz Send a private message to stizkidz Click to send stizkidz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stizkidz's Have/Want ListView stizkidz's Have/Want List
Have you never heard of bulk? All the major stores buy in bulk. Most LGS do as well.

Timmyhill
posted March 17, 2013 05:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Timmyhill Click Here to Email Timmyhill Send a private message to Timmyhill Click to send Timmyhill an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Timmyhill's Have/Want ListView Timmyhill's Have/Want List
Just put them in the corner and when you have a pickup full I'll be by to get them.

AGO
posted March 17, 2013 06:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
If your savvy you can Craigslist that crap for some crazy prices. It just takes time and the right person who dosen't care what they are buying.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AGO on March 17, 2013]

Volcanon
posted March 17, 2013 06:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Bulk on craigslist for cheap. Or donate to little kids. Or throw them into the recycling.

mulder
posted March 18, 2013 05:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mulder Click Here to Email mulder Send a private message to mulder Click to send mulder an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I usually give them away to people who are just beginning to play. I don't care about a bag full of "crappy" commons or uncommons but perhaps for them it's a nice encouragement ;-).

caquaa
posted March 18, 2013 06:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
put them in boxes, sometimes sorted by color. never know when you'll need something stupid like Deglamer which now sees play in modern boards. I'd rather spend a little time looking for it than not have it. One day I'll organize them and ditch the extras, at least thats what I tell myself. In reality they'll just pile up as I buy more collections and draft.

MAB_Rapper
posted March 18, 2013 06:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by mulder:
I usually give them away to people who are just beginning to play. I don't care about a bag full of "crappy" commons or uncommons but perhaps for them it's a nice encouragement ;-).

This. There was a father with 2 young boys (the youngest was 8, I think the other was 10 and was next to me in the draft) at our FNM last week. I had finished up a crazy 4-0 finish and was in a giving mood. Pretty much handed the father all the un/commons from both my draft pool and bonus packs for his boys. His 8 year old couldn't stop thanking me. It was honestly the best I felt with the game in some time.

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

hilikuS
posted March 18, 2013 08:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by MAB_Rapper:
This. There was a father with 2 young boys (the youngest was 8, I think the other was 10 and was next to me in the draft) at our FNM last week. I had finished up a crazy 4-0 finish and was in a giving mood. Pretty much handed the father all the un/commons from both my draft pool and bonus packs for his boys. His 8 year old couldn't stop thanking me. It was honestly the best I felt with the game in some time.

Good for business too!

I would make some 200 count boxes with random bulk cards, hand some out to friends and build decks. I used to love doing that. No harm done in giving them though too. Chances are somebody new is gonna get some use out of them. I know I sort of cherish the first cards that I ever got, even though they're crap.

MrAwesome
posted March 18, 2013 08:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MrAwesome Click Here to Email MrAwesome Click to send MrAwesome an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MrAwesome's Have/Want ListView MrAwesome's Have/Want List
thanks guys - pretty much confirmed what I didn't want to believe... no use trying to make any money off commons. Just not gonna happen.

I'm all for giving them out to noobs - that's how I started. A teammate handed me a starter deck of Ice Age, the rest is history.

oneofchaos
posted March 18, 2013 08:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Give your cards away to friends who don't play magic and now you don't have friends who don't play magic. Boom.

majicman
posted March 18, 2013 12:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
Well, depends on how many commons you have.

I sold 52,000 commons to an LGS store about 4 months ago. I got $260 for them, but they were the .10 - .25 variety commons that I have a lot of and am trying to get my collection under 100,000 cards. I recently acquired 2 other collections and after filtering for anything of value ($1 or more and playable) dropped the commons/uncommons on craigslist for another $130. Paid for one of the collections.

If I pick up something small - like a binder - I just grab anything I want of value for my collection and leave a stack of commons/uncommons at my LGS store for the noobs to snag.

Heck, they even want the binder and or pages and I am more than happy to give that away as well. Just don't want to make a big mess for the shop owner so I make sure somebody wants the stuff.

I don't always have the time to make the Ebay boxes, but may do so the next rounds of downsizing I do, since my collection is now very organized and I am wanting to carve out another 20,000 - 40,000 cards (along with comics and sportscards) so I can reduce the clutter to a managable size.

Good luck with whatever you do....Greg

[Edited 1 times, lastly by majicman on March 18, 2013]

nylarotep
posted March 18, 2013 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
I usually keep most stuff that's potentially constructed playable, and bulk out the rest via craigslist or other avenues.

Default User
posted March 19, 2013 02:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Default User Click Here to Email Default User Send a private message to Default User Click to send Default User an Instant MessageVisit Default User's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I did a major downsizing about 8 years back, keeping 4 of each uncommon and common and bulked the rest for about 500$. Since then I have always put a playset of every common and uncommon in a binder and stored the rest in boxes.

Four years back I had another 40k commons and uncommons that I gave to a local youth organization, which had started to play some MtG and now I again have a 'few' extra boxes of cards waiting to be sorted and I need to decide what to do with them.

If I bulk the cards to a store, I will pick the easily saleable cards, but for charity, I only skim them and pick cards I know I will need in the near future. The point was to get new players introduced and that needs some better cards also.

Usually the trouble is transporting the cards. The first time I had almost 130 kilos (~270 pounds) of bulk commons. I was pretty amazed that all of them had fit in my student apartment. Buying collections does increase the common count pretty easily.

Vegas10
posted March 19, 2013 05:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
Give it to newer players who will appreciate it, I also have a casual group I play with at times who appreciate the junk more so I will give them some at times, otherwise just bulk it out to a local retailer or craigslist. If you want to put more time an effort into it sell lots on ebay to maximize, but some will go unsold as well.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League