Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Type 4 vs Cube

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Type 4 vs Cube
ravidell
posted March 16, 2013 03:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ravidell Click Here to Email ravidell Send a private message to ravidell Click to send ravidell an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I was not real sure where to post this, but this seems good. I have built a cube, pimped it all out in English so anyone can play. ( still need beta Lotus and Undergournd) But anyway, no one around has a type 4 stack. I played many moons ago with a friend a few hours away while he was in school. Now that he lives half way around the country no more type 4. What do people like more? Type 4 or cube? I was thinking about building a type 4 but want to decklist for reference. Anyone got one they wanna share? I know i'm going to want to pimp it out to if I build one, but with no power or beta duals to buy seems MUCH cheaper to build. Anyone got a good starting point?

caquaa
posted March 16, 2013 04:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
Type 4 and cube have their own advantages. Cube is great if you have a set of 8 people who will consistently be able to draft your cube often. Type 4 is great for just a quick game where you don't have a few hours to kill. Type 4 can be more of a "between tournament rounds" kind of thing.

My type 4 stack was fairly broken. I had masticore in it. I also tried not to have special rules for the stack, I just constrained how I built it. Infinite mana, cast 1 spell per turn. I also used community library/graveyard, but I've played with other people's stack that did not use that rule. I think shared library and graveyard make graveyard recursion very powerful, while forcing me to exclude tutors from the stack. If you deal out your own 60 card deck tutors become playable, but can slow the game down when people don't know whats available.

I think big swingy interactions are the way to go. Mine would play very quickly and sometimes the game could be over shortly if people couldn't draw an answer, but sometimes 1 for 1 would continue on forever. I dont think thats much of an issue. It kind of feels like playing momir at times.

Now I want to rebuild my type 4 stack...

choco man
posted March 16, 2013 05:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
Generally people like cube more. It's much more like the regular MTG that they are used to playing (be it Standard, Legacy, Modern, or draft). There's no additional special rules to follow and for the most part, people don't have to read or learn too many additional new cards since Cube is just best of what people have already been used to playing. Unless you're dumb as a firetruck and use Pokemon cards.

That being said, I like type 4 more. Especially if you get to draft your deck instead of playing random pile or community/shared libraries. It's inherently multiplayer and people who think on their feet have an even greater advantage.

I also had a completely foil type 4 stack before EDH became popular. I took my type 4 apart. When I put it back together, I didn't nearly care as much...seeing as there is now a gold-bordered Volrath's Stronghold and Survival of the Fittest in there.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on March 16, 2013]

Michael French
posted March 16, 2013 06:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Michael French Click Here to Email Michael French Send a private message to Michael French Click to send Michael French an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have a 600 card stack for Type 4, one library but each player has their own grave yard. I had a few search cards in the stack.. but I put a 10 second time limit for search.
Fun times.

bigballashotcaller
posted March 16, 2013 09:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigballashotcaller Click Here to Email bigballashotcaller Send a private message to bigballashotcaller Click to send bigballashotcaller an Instant MessageVisit bigballashotcaller's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bigballashotcaller's Have/Want ListView bigballashotcaller's Have/Want List
If you want a good Type 4 list, I just posted the updated Eternal Central Type 4 stack in an article on EC last month:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/?p=3582

BAOM.

ermabwed
posted March 17, 2013 06:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ermabwed Click Here to Email ermabwed Send a private message to ermabwed Click to send ermabwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ermabwed's Have/Want ListView ermabwed's Have/Want List
Type 4 really may as well play Professor Oak

oneofchaos
posted March 18, 2013 08:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
Unless you're dumb as a firetruck and use Pokemon cards.

I use Yugioh cards in mine. Every creature is so op vs the rest of my cube. /sarcasm

MTGEngineer
posted March 18, 2013 08:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTGEngineer Send a private message to MTGEngineer Click to send MTGEngineer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My current T4 list is here: http://store.tcgplayer.com/collection.aspx?ID=38212

It's been a work-in-progress for the last few years, so it's pretty balanced. We play it as shared deck and shared graveyard, and alt-cost spells don't count towards your spell limit. We're willing to spend an hour or so on a game, but cutting the tutors would probably be a good idea.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League