Magic Discussion
  Pre post-rotation pick ups (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Pre post-rotation pick ups
2austin5
posted February 25, 2013 05:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
Personally, I will not be able to play a lot of magic during this upcoming summer break, so I am trying to get rid of a lot of my innistrad stuff for ravnica things. However, I don't know exactly what I should be trying to pick up. I feel like Gideon and Duskmantle seer may be solid pick ups after a few more weeks of dipping but what else are cards that may be prevalent in the next standard.

I know this is all speculation and we don't know what will get printed, I just want rough ideas. Thanks for the help!

MeddlingMage
posted February 25, 2013 05:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
Boros Reckoner

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

walkerdog
posted February 25, 2013 05:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
Sphinx Rev
Vraska (so cheap atm, maybe junk, but still probably jumps to ~10 at some point) and Lotleth
Dreadbore
Obzedat
Aurelia's fury and the GR x spell (can't think of the name sadly)
Trostani

Almost all of these feel like they will see a nice increase at some point post rotation.

Pail42
posted February 25, 2013 06:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
I want to say supreme verdict and mizzium mortars because innistrad block will take a lot of sweepers with it when it goes. Ravnica has been light on mass kill.

MeddlingMage
posted February 25, 2013 08:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by walkerdog:

Aurelia's fury and the GR x spell (can't think of the name sadly)

Clan Defiance?

~MM

walkerdog
posted February 25, 2013 08:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:
Clan Defiance?

~MM

Thank you, yes.

Poecifer
posted February 26, 2013 01:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Poecifer Click Here to Email Poecifer Send a private message to Poecifer Click to send Poecifer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Poecifer's Have/Want ListView Poecifer's Have/Want List
Gyre Sage is delicious Aggro and ramp. I definitely think it's going up and I called Reckoner going to 30 when it was at 7.

Brightcab
posted February 26, 2013 08:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Brightcab Click Here to Email Brightcab Send a private message to Brightcab Click to send Brightcab an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Second the guy who said sphinx's revelation. It's THE control card at mythic rarity. And once rav is out of print it's not getting any lower.

MeddlingMage
posted February 26, 2013 02:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
Good list.

Reckoner
Revelation
Gyre Sage
Clan Defiance

~MM

marlo213
posted February 26, 2013 02:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:
Good list.

Reckoner
Revelation
Gyre Sage
Clan Defiance

~MM

I was thinking of picking up some clan defiance, but those things are like a worse version of profane command and profane command was only good for like a week while it was standard legal

walkerdog
posted February 26, 2013 03:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:
I was thinking of picking up some clan defiance, but those things are like a worse version of profane command and profane command was only good for like a week while it was standard legal

Profane command was played widely off and on by aggro, midrange, and control. It was certainly not big only for a week.

2austin5
posted February 26, 2013 03:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
How do you guys feel about duskmantle see?

caquaa
posted February 26, 2013 04:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
How is a terrible fireball even a thought? Take your pick on which one I'm talking about, my view is the same, both are unplayable garbage.

quote:
Originally posted by 2austin5:
How do you guys feel about duskmantle see?

good card needing a home. I've toyed around w/ some ideas, but nothing that makes me want to go run and buy 4 yet.

MeddlingMage
posted February 26, 2013 04:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
How is a terrible fireball even a thought? Take your pick on which one I'm talking about, my view is the same, both are unplayable garbage.

good card needing a home. I've toyed around w/ some ideas, but nothing that makes me want to go run and buy 4 yet.

Terrible Fireball? A Clan Defiance for 3 (3gr) to 3 legit targets is still 5 mana. A fireball for 3 legit targets cost 3r then 1 and 3 more, then 1 and 3 more. Thats 12 mana.

~MM

Edit: Or do you mean Aurelia's Fury?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MeddlingMage on February 26, 2013]

CrazyBones
posted March 02, 2013 08:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyBones Click Here to Email CrazyBones Send a private message to CrazyBones Click to send CrazyBones an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CrazyBones's Have/Want ListView CrazyBones's Have/Want List
Lets hope he's not talking about Aurelia's Fury. That card is far superior to a mere Fireball.

2austin5
posted March 02, 2013 08:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
I actually am thinking of picking up Furies soon, should I wait for them to dip more or is now the time to buy in?

TheCottonRapster
posted March 08, 2013 12:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheCottonRapster Send a private message to TheCottonRapster Click to send TheCottonRapster an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
What about any ISD pick ups? Foil Snappies are $55. I can definitely see that going to 100 when ISD rotates out.

thror
posted March 08, 2013 12:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheCottonRapster:
What about any ISD pick ups? Foil Snappies are $55. I can definitely see that going to 100 when ISD rotates out.

cards dont go up when they rotate from standard. they go up when they get older, and when they stop getting printed/opened. ISD has stopped getting opened, and cards have pretty much peaked. at best, they will hold value, and at worst, they will crash when they rotate. a few years down the line, sure, i expect them to be higher than their current price. but they wont magically go UP when they rotate.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Zeckk
posted March 08, 2013 01:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Foil versions of some of the power uncommons, like Dreg Mangler, Burning Tree Emissary, Lyev Skyknight, etc.

Personally, I've been hoarding Mizzium Mortars and Loxodon Smiters.

Kwas
posted March 08, 2013 04:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kwas Click Here to Email Kwas Send a private message to Kwas Click to send Kwas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Kwas's Have/Want ListView Kwas's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
cards dont go up when they rotate from standard. they go up when they get older, and when they stop getting printed/opened. ISD has stopped getting opened, and cards have pretty much peaked. at best, they will hold value, and at worst, they will crash when they rotate. a few years down the line, sure, i expect them to be higher than their current price. but they wont magically go UP when they rotate.

That completely depends on their applications.

Cards that rule standard, but see very little eternal play obviously will drop, but eternal staples (such as snapcaster) will most certainly hold value - at least for their foil versions

marlo213
posted March 08, 2013 06:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
Foil versions of some of the power uncommons, like Dreg Mangler, Burning Tree Emissary, Lyev Skyknight, etc.

Personally, I've been hoarding Mizzium Mortars and Loxodon Smiters.

Why mizzium mortar? seems hard for it to go up with reckoners around

Bugger
posted March 08, 2013 06:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Uh oh... Guys, I wouldn't listen to Marlo. He's been proven wrong in a discussion on another thread, which by his own rules makes him a terrible player, a bad person, and someone who should thoroughly be ignored. Sorry everyone

marlo213
posted March 08, 2013 07:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bugger:
Uh oh... Guys, I wouldn't listen to Marlo. He's been proven wrong in a discussion on another thread, which by his own rules makes him a terrible player, a bad person, and someone who should thoroughly be ignored. Sorry everyone

I guess if I were like you and never have an opinion about anything then I will never be wrong. Hhindsight trolling people that had the guts to say what's on their mind is what you do best, and I can't really think of anyone else on this community that can replace you. So cheers to you being you

Bugger
posted March 08, 2013 08:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:
I guess if I were like you and never have an opinion about anything then I will never be wrong. Hhindsight trolling people that had the guts to say what's on their mind is what you do best, and I can't really think of anyone else on this community that can replace you. So cheers to you being you

I'd comment about how I hit a nerve if you weren't a total rhymes with runt to everyone on this site anyways.

What does everyone think about the loss of enemy checklands post rotation? Will the hit in fixing do enough to discourage 3-color wedge decks like BUG or UWR? (I mean UWR'll be losing bonfire and Geist as well, so that archetypes collapse probs won't just be due to lands...)

2austin5
posted March 08, 2013 08:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
Bugger and Marlo, please don't troll from another thread into mine. If you want to troll each other then PM each other, I just want to keep this as a healthy discussion for predictions, whether they are right or wrong doesn't matter, its just to see what people think, Thank you.

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League