Click Here!

Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  The Rulings and Questions Thread, Part 53--Post ALL Your Rules Questions Here (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   The Rulings and Questions Thread, Part 53--Post ALL Your Rules Questions Here
Tha Gunslinga
posted December 06, 2012 05:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant MessageVisit Tha Gunslinga's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
Post all your rules/tournament questions here and they will get answered. Please wait a bit before you think we ignored you, we all live lives outside of MOTL but we do answer when we see them.

If you are going to answer a question, please be 100% sure that your answer is correct. If you are just guessing or *think* you know the answer, keep it to yourself. There are plenty of judges and people who will know it correctly, and if multiple answers are given, it just confuses the person who asked.

This thread is a flame-free zone. If you can't be civil, don't respond. New players shouldn't be worried about being made fun of when they're trying to learn.

Some information for ya...

Comprehensive Rules (also available in Word, Rich Text, and PDF formats)
The complete rules for the game of Magic. Beginners should not go here; they are very intimidating.
Oracle Card Reference
The official text for every card in existence (use Gatherer for any quick questions about Oracle texts, Gatherer uses the Oracle text of all cards).
Official Tournament Rules
The official rules for sanctioned tournaments.
Basic Rulebook
Simplified rules for beginning players. If you are new to the game, you should read this and not the Comprehensive Rules.
Set FAQs
The official FAQs for each set. Look here if you have a specific question about a card.
Judge Certification Program
How to become a judge.
MTG-L mailing list archives
A good place to get official answers to rules questions, or to search for previous answers.
DCIJUDGE-L mailing list archives
The official Judge list. A good place to search for previous answers and discussion involving judging decisions, philosophy, etc. NOT rules questions. That's what MTG-L is for.

enduringideal
posted December 06, 2012 10:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for enduringideal Click Here to Email enduringideal Send a private message to enduringideal Click to send enduringideal an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View enduringideal's Have/Want ListView enduringideal's Have/Want List
If you use Body Double and copy a persist creature in a graveyard then when your body double dies and comes back will it have the -1/-1 counter on it? I've been told by a few people that it gets the counter and then a few others that since it isn't that creature when it enters that it doesn't get the counter, which is correct?

walkerdog
posted December 06, 2012 10:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by enduringideal:
If you use Body Double and copy a persist creature in a graveyard then when your body double dies and comes back will it have the -1/-1 counter on it? I've been told by a few people that it gets the counter and then a few others that since it isn't that creature when it enters that it doesn't get the counter, which is correct?

Persist is the mechanic that brings it back, and persist is the mechanic that puts the -1/-1 counter on it. It does both things.

caquaa
posted December 06, 2012 11:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
felt this needed clarification from the previous thread

quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
Regardless of the REL, Counterbalance is NEVER going to "trigger automatically"

It is a 'May' not a 'Must' and so will always need to be explicitly triggered by the player who controls it.

With the way the new competitive REL+ triggers work, you must acknowledge your trigger in order for it to go on the stack. When counterbalance trigger resolves you MAY use it, but it must first go on the stack. The "may" refers to the ability resolving only, not going on the stack. New tournament rules changed things a bit.

from the tournament rules:
4.4 Triggered Abilities
Players are expected to remember their own triggered abilities; intentionally ignoring one is Cheating. At Competitive and Professional REL, players are not required to point out the existence of triggered abilities that they do not control, though they may do so within a turn if they wish.
Triggered abilities are considered to be forgotten by their controller once they have taken an action past the point where the triggered ability would be expected to resolve. Triggered abilities that are forgotten are not considered to have gone onto the stack.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by caquaa on December 06, 2012]

Devonin
posted December 06, 2012 05:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
felt this needed clarification from the previous thread

With the way the new competitive REL+ triggers work, you must acknowledge your trigger in order for it to go on the stack. When counterbalance trigger resolves you MAY use it, but it must first go on the stack. The "may" refers to the ability resolving only, not going on the stack. New tournament rules changed things a bit.

from the tournament rules:
4.4 Triggered Abilities
Players are expected to remember their own triggered abilities; intentionally ignoring one is Cheating. At Competitive and Professional REL, players are not required to point out the existence of triggered abilities that they do not control, though they may do so within a turn if they wish.
Triggered abilities are considered to be forgotten by their controller once they have taken an action past the point where the triggered ability would be expected to resolve. Triggered abilities that are forgotten are not considered to have gone onto the stack.

That doesn't actually contradict what I said. The change to the competitive REL basically said that if someone forgets a MUST trigger, and then moves past it, and their opponent elects to not bring it to their attention, it is considered forgotten and doesn't happen.

Counterbalance is a MAY effect. You can ALWAYS forget about it, and it will NEVER trigger without you explicitly acknowledging the trigger and putting it on the stack.

I mean...the condition for it activating happens, that is true, but you would still need to choose to activate the effect and put it on the stack.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Devonin on December 06, 2012]

caquaa
posted December 06, 2012 06:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
That doesn't actually contradict what I said. The change to the competitive REL basically said that if someone forgets a MUST trigger, and then moves past it, and their opponent elects to not bring it to their attention, it is considered forgotten and doesn't happen.

Counterbalance is a MAY effect. You can ALWAYS forget about it, and it will NEVER trigger without you explicitly acknowledging the trigger and putting it on the stack.

I mean...the condition for it activating happens, that is true, but you would still need to choose to activate the effect and put it on the stack.

that is not correct. You are assuming that the "may" means that the ability "may" trigger, but that is not the case. Assuming that you don't forget to place triggers on the stack (or casual REL or such), whenever an opponent casts a spell counterbalance will trigger and go on the stack. The "may" only matters when the ability resolves.

there are important reasons for things like this, such as previous standard running decks that contained both restoration angel and phantasmal image. With the way you're assuming this works, if you have an empty board with a phantasmal image is safe to play a restoration angel and your image will live. This isn't correct. It doesn't come up a lot, but it does matter and now it certainly matters in context of triggered abilities at competitive REL.

mattw
posted December 06, 2012 11:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mattw Click Here to Email mattw Send a private message to mattw Click to send mattw an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mattw's Have/Want ListView mattw's Have/Want List
I have a Pyromancer's Ascension in play and just 1 Faithless Looting in my graveyard. If I flash it back do I get to put a counter on my Ascension?

thror
posted December 06, 2012 11:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mattw:
I have a Pyromancer's Ascension in play and just 1 Faithless Looting in my graveyard. If I flash it back do I get to put a counter on my Ascension?

No.

"Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell that has the same name as a card in your graveyard, you may put a quest counter on Pyromancer Ascension."

A spell isnt 'cast' until it is actually put on the stack. Once 'cast', the looting isnt in your graveyard any more, so it cant 'see' itself and give your ascension a counter.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Vegas10
posted December 08, 2012 11:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
Ok I know how this works and tried explaining it to someone in my play group, they don't understand that when I play recurring nightmare and then immediatly use it that they cannot disenchant it in response. I know it is the issue of priority, just wondering if there is a better way of explaining it, this person alos doesn't seem to or want to believe me both on priority and how the activation of recurring nightmare works, please help

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Vegas10 on December 08, 2012]

yakusoku
posted December 09, 2012 12:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The key rule you want is this one:

quote:
Comprehensive Rules:

6. Spells, Abilities, and Effects

600. General

601. Casting Spells

601.2h Once the steps described in 601.2a-g are completed, the spell becomes cast. Any abilities that trigger when a spell is cast or put onto the stack trigger at this time. If the spell's controller had priority before casting it, he or she gets priority.

(601.2a-g are to put a spell on the stack and pay its costs.)

While Recurring Nightmare is on the stack, it is not a legal target for Disenchant. After it resolves, the person who cast RN gets priority again. If he uses Recurring Nightmare's ability immediately, he pays all costs (including returning it to his owner's hand) and declares all targets before EITHER player gets priority. He must pass priority to his opponent before the ability resolves, but Recurring Nightmare will no longer be on the battlefield and no longer be a legal target for the spell.

Both after RN is on the stack and after RN's ability is played, the other player has the opportunity to cast Disenchant. The only prohibition here is that at neither time is RN a legal target for the spell. Only if RN's controller passes priority (without playing the ability) or plays another ability or spell will the other player have a chance to Disenchant it.

Edit to add - this will also help:

quote:
Comprehensive Rules:

602. Activating Activated Abilities

602.1. Activated abilities have a cost and an effect. They are written as "[Cost]: [Effect.] [Activation instructions (if any).]"

602.1a The activation cost is everything before the colon (.

602.2. To activate an ability is to put it onto the stack and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect.

602.2a The player announces that he or she is activating the ability.

602.2b The remainder of the process for activating an ability is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2b-h. Those rules apply to activating an ability just as they apply to casting a spell. An activated ability's analog to a spell's mana cost (as referenced in rule 601.2e) is its activation cost.

Only after the ability is announced, costs are paid (returning it to its hand) and the ability is on the stack does he get priority to do anything. He can no more Disenchant in response to returning it to your hand than he can respond to a creature being tapped for an ability before it becomes tapped, or interrupt you while you're tapping lands to cast a spell.

One confusion that arises many times is because players will say "In response, I will...", which just means in response to the ability or spell being played, I want to do something that will resolve first. You can't actually interrupt a spell or ability half way through being cast or activated.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by yakusoku on December 09, 2012]

oneofchaos
posted December 09, 2012 11:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If I supreme judgement and my opponent restoration angel's his dude, they still die right?

Myy
posted December 09, 2012 12:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
If I supreme judgement and my opponent restoration angel's his dude, they still die right?

Assuming they're still in play when the judgement resolves and there' no way to keep'em alive like a regeneration shield, or indestructibility, then yes.

luka4050
posted December 10, 2012 01:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for luka4050 Click Here to Email luka4050 Send a private message to luka4050 Click to send luka4050 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View luka4050's Have/Want ListView luka4050's Have/Want List

Hello,
So two seperate questions here..

First, I have Mikaeus out, and bring out Vexing Devil. He comes in as a 5/4 with his bonus from Mikaeus. Player pays 4 life to have me sacrifice him. So would he come back in with a +1/+1 counter on him making him a 6/5? And can player pay an additional 4 life to make me sacrifice him again? I believe so, but am not sure.

Also, with Mikaeus out, and Geralf's Messenger...

Since Geralf's Messenger already has undying, would it only get +1/+1, or would he get a bonus from Mikaeus undying as well? I'm not sure if it would compound or not.

Thanks for the help, and responses!

Pail42
posted December 10, 2012 03:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by luka4050:
First, I have Mikaeus out, and bring out Vexing Devil. He comes in as a 5/4 with his bonus from Mikaeus. Player pays 4 life to have me sacrifice him. So would he come back in with a +1/+1 counter on him making him a 6/5? And can player pay an additional 4 life to make me sacrifice him again? I believe so, but am not sure.

Yes this is right.

quote:
Originally posted by luka4050:
Also, with Mikaeus out, and Geralf's Messenger...

Since Geralf's Messenger already has undying, would it only get +1/+1, or would he get a bonus from Mikaeus undying as well? I'm not sure if it would compound or not.

quote:
702.91a Undying is a triggered ability. "Undying" means "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it."

If the creature didn't come back because of the undying trigger it won't get the counter. A creature that somehow had two undying abilities would come back when the first one resolves and the second one to resolve would do nothing because the creature is no longer in the graveyard.

Geralf's Messenger would come back with one +1/+1 counter.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Pail42 on December 10, 2012]

luka4050
posted December 10, 2012 04:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for luka4050 Click Here to Email luka4050 Send a private message to luka4050 Click to send luka4050 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View luka4050's Have/Want ListView luka4050's Have/Want List
Ahhhh, ok! Thanks very much for the information!

hufa97
posted December 12, 2012 09:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hufa97 Send a private message to hufa97 Click to send hufa97 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hufa97's Have/Want ListView hufa97's Have/Want List
Lifelink during combat or post-combat?

I am confused as to the lifelink rule during combat as it has varied at the different fnm's I have attended.

For example, my opponent is at 5 life, I attack with 6 trample, they block with a 1/1 with lifelink. Are they dead before the lifelink triggers or are they at 1 after combat?

Thank you.

thror
posted December 12, 2012 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hufa97:
Lifelink during combat or post-combat?

I am confused as to the lifelink rule during combat as it has varied at the different fnm's I have attended.

For example, my opponent is at 5 life, I attack with 6 trample, they block with a 1/1 with lifelink. Are they dead before the lifelink triggers or are they at 1 after combat?

Thank you.

Lifelink doesnt 'trigger'/'go on the stack' anymore. "Lifelink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to gain that much life.)" Combat damage all gets dealt at once, and lifelink happens then too.

So, your 6/6 deals 1 damage to their creature, 5 to them, their guy deals 1 to your creature, they gain 1 life. All at once. They end combat at 1 life.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

hufa97
posted December 12, 2012 12:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hufa97 Send a private message to hufa97 Click to send hufa97 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hufa97's Have/Want ListView hufa97's Have/Want List
Thror,

Thank you very much for the speedy answer about lifelink.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hufa97 on December 12, 2012]

Marvin Austria
posted December 13, 2012 02:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin Austria Click Here to Email Marvin Austria Send a private message to Marvin Austria Click to send Marvin Austria an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Marvin Austria's Have/Want ListView Marvin Austria's Have/Want List
Situation in EDH, never had that before
Me: Urabrask
My bro casted thraximundar (haste)

Can or can't he attack?

walkerdog
posted December 13, 2012 02:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Austria:
Situation in EDH, never had that before
Me: Urabrask
My bro casted thraximundar (haste)

Can or can't he attack?

Sure... if he can figure out a way to untap Thraximundar before the combat step. If he's tapped, he can't attack though.

Bagbokk
posted December 13, 2012 04:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Trade Auction or SaleView Bagbokk's Trade Auction or Sale
Is the following correct?:

When opponent casts Angel of Serenity, they have to target up to 3 creatures. Then it ETB and the "may exile" trigger goes on the stack. Then, if I cast Ultimate Price and there's no responses to it, UP resolves first and the Angel dies, the Angel's LTB effect goes on the stack, resolves and nothing is returned to anyone's hand, and finally the Angel's ETB goes off, and my opponent can choose whether to exile the creatures that he's already targeted.

End result is that Angel dies and the targeted creatures either (a) are exiled permanently or (b) stay where they currently are if opponent chose not to exile.

?

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Bagbokk on December 13, 2012]

walkerdog
posted December 13, 2012 05:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bagbokk:

When opponent casts Angel of Serenity, they have to target up to 3 creatures. Then it ETB and the "may exile" trigger goes on the stack. Then, if I cast Ultimate Price and there's no responses to it, UP resolves first and the Angel dies, the Angel's LTB effect goes on the stack, resolves and nothing is returned to anyone's hand, and finally the Angel's ETB goes off, and my opponent can choose whether to exile the creatures that he's already targeted.

End result is that Angel dies and the targeted creatures either (a) are exiled permanently or (b) stay where they currently are if opponent chose not to exile.

?

correct.

choco man
posted December 13, 2012 05:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
If Abrupt Decay targets Pestermite, does Mizzium Skin save it?

Abrupt can't be countered by spells/effects but still by rule (shroud/protection/etc.), correct?

walkerdog
posted December 13, 2012 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by choco man:
If Abrupt Decay targets Pestermite, does Mizzium Skin save it?

Abrupt can't be countered by spells/effects but still by rule (shroud/protection/etc.), correct?

Correct.

B14ckM4g3
posted December 13, 2012 10:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View B14ckM4g3's Have/Want ListView B14ckM4g3's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bagbokk:

?

exiled

This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League