Click Here!

Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Griselbrand to be banned in Legacy? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Griselbrand to be banned in Legacy?
vexingdelvis
posted March 04, 2013 05:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for vexingdelvis Click Here to Email vexingdelvis Send a private message to vexingdelvis Click to send vexingdelvis an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View vexingdelvis's Have/Want ListView vexingdelvis's Have/Want List
With the recent play of TinFins in the last legacy open, and all of the show and tell metagame, griselbrand is becoming a ruthless creature. If you are familiar with legacy, you might know of a deck called TinFins. It works like reanimator, only with different cards to get what it needs, mainly griselbrand. It wins on turn two and three consistently. If you are wondering, it got second place at the legacy open yesterday, March 3,2013. I am just curious if wizards has thought about making a ban for griselbrand in legacy. It would definitely change the metagame, and I want some opinions about if they should ban him or not.

Zeckk
posted March 04, 2013 06:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Too early for any bannings, though I wouldn't say it's a stretch to say that the DCI is keeping an eye on the rise in "cheat fatties into play" archetypes. It's not even really a new development, since such archetypes have put tribal aggro out on the street ever since Jin-Gitaxis showed up.

iccarus
posted March 04, 2013 06:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
I really have been wondering this as well. Do they kill the fatties or do they hit the enablers? I mean, if they ban Show and Tell, it just puts the focus more on stuff like Sneak Attack or the reanimate spells. If they ban Griselbrand, it just puts a greater focus on stuff like Emrakul.

Honestly, it's a tough decision and I don't know if there's a banning on one card that really gets to the heart of it. As it is now, Legacy seems dominated by the cheat fatties plan.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

Bugger
posted March 04, 2013 06:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
funny how reasonable mana costs don't balance cards in formats that can ignore them

skizzikmonger
posted March 04, 2013 07:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
They won't ban the fatties because there's too many of them. I doubt they ban the reanimate spells because they can be answered by a 1/2 hybrid elf and a "free" black instant. If they ban anything, they'll ban Show and Tell and Sneak Attack.

coasterdude84
posted March 04, 2013 08:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:
They won't ban the fatties because there's too many of them. I doubt they ban the reanimate spells because they can be answered by a 1/2 hybrid elf and a "free" black instant. If they ban anything, they'll ban Show and Tell and Sneak Attack.

This exactly. And as Bugger mentioned, they could have a 49cc creature and it wouldn't matter because of the enablers. When Vengevine started going nuts, they didn't ban that, they banned Survival, the enabler. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see both Show and Tell and Sneak Attack get the axe.

iccarus
posted March 04, 2013 09:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:

Probably right. I think Show and Tell is the bigger problem, simply because it enables Omniscience as well. But there's certainly an argument to be made for yanking Sneak Attack as well.

Zeckk
posted March 04, 2013 10:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Given how incremental the rise in those decks has become, I think that they wouldn't go overboard with banning BOTH SnT and Sneak Attack. Banning SnT alone would destroy 2 distinct archetypes.

WeedIan
posted March 04, 2013 11:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Show and Tell should get the axe because it is very oppressive to other archetypes.

The deck may not be broken to always but its a similar reason to why they banned BBE in modern.

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Vegas10
posted March 05, 2013 05:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
Probably right. I think Show and Tell is the bigger problem, simply because it enables Omniscience as well. But there's certainly an argument to be made for yanking Sneak Attack as well.

how is Show and Tell anymore broken than any other fast combo deck in legacy? I mean there are lots of combo decks than can win t1 - t3, is this deck really more broken than any of those? And isn't legacy the format for insane things like that? most of the t16's still look very diverse seems like alor of decks are still playable, banning should be a last resort and only happen if a card waqrps the entire format, not sure that has happened with this since alot of the decks that were played and performing before Show and Tell still are performing even with it's presence. Also with so many cards availible is it possible people still havn't found the deck that owns Show and Tell maybe more inovation could happen instead of just ban something becasue it is difficult to beat if you don't adjust to it, just saying.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Vegas10 on March 05, 2013]

stu55
posted March 05, 2013 05:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think you are all over-reacting. Legacy, like any format, swings through metagames. Legacy seems to do it faster than others. There was a time where combo was impossible due to Maverick and Stoneblade. A lot of people are also unprepared to handle such decks, thus allowing them to run over tournaments.

I think it will swing back and people will stop complaining for bannings of these cards.

mulder
posted March 05, 2013 05:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mulder Click Here to Email mulder Send a private message to mulder Click to send mulder an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Totally agree. Show And Tell is an abomination that needs to go.

iccarus
posted March 05, 2013 05:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
how is Show and Tell anymore broken than any other fast combo deck in legacy? I mean there are lots of combo decks than can win t1 - t3, is this deck really more broken than any of those? And isn't legacy the format for insane things like that? most of the t16's still look very diverse seems like alor of decks are still playable, banning should be a last resort and only happen if a card waqrps the entire format, not sure that has happened with this since alot of the decks that were played and performing before Show and Tell still are performing even with it's presence. Also with so many cards availible is it possible people still havn't found the deck that owns Show and Tell maybe more inovation could happen instead of just ban something becasue it is difficult to beat if you don't adjust to it, just saying.

Show and Tell is extremely easy to assembly with any number of single cards, essentially making it a two card combo. Emrakul, Grislebrand, Omniscience, etc. If you resolve that one spell, chances are the game is over. There's very little hate that specifically targets it as well. You either snag a piece of the combo with targeted discard or you manage to break through their counter wall.

Obviously Legacy is full of combo and there are plenty of other broken plays, and SaT may just be the current flavor of the month in the meta. Is it oppressive yet? Probably not. I'm not saying it's going to be banned or should be banned. I'm just saying that if they were going to ban something, SaT would be the likely target since Emrakul was never meant to be played for three mana.

I do agree that the meta will likely adapt and someone will find a deck that can compete against Sneak-and-Show combos, as well as the rest of the field.

Leeroy
posted March 05, 2013 07:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Leeroy Click Here to Email Leeroy Send a private message to Leeroy Click to send Leeroy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
There's very little hate that specifically targets it as well. You either snag a piece of the combo with targeted discard or you manage to break through their counter wall.

Actually, you can hate most of their threats quite easily while circumventing the counter wall - just use their own Show & Tell and put into play Venser, Oblivion Ring or any other answer to whatever they may try to cheat in.

mulder
posted March 05, 2013 07:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mulder Click Here to Email mulder Send a private message to mulder Click to send mulder an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leeroy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by iccarus:
There's very little hate that specifically targets it as well. You either snag a piece of the combo with targeted discard or you manage to break through their counter wall.

Actually, you can hate most of their threats quite easily while circumventing the counter wall - just use their own Show & Tell and put into play Venser, Oblivion Ring or any other answer to whatever they may try to cheat in.[/QUOTE]

That won't help if they Show And Tell Griselbrand, since they'll just draw 7 or 14 cards in response. The only thing that will help is Humility, which is a sideboard card at best.

Pail42
posted March 05, 2013 09:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mulder:
That won't help if they Show And Tell Griselbrand, since they'll just draw 7 or 14 cards in response. The only thing that will help is Humility, which is a sideboard card at best.

Pithing Needle, Damping Matrix, Cursed Totem, Linvala, Keeper of Silence.

There are lots of ways to stop Griselbrand from drawing cards, but I agree pretty much all of them are reactionary sideboard cards.

Soldier Boi
posted March 05, 2013 11:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I dont think they will ban anything. But if they do Griselbrand would be the correct choice. Griselbrand is the fattie and the enabler. Most decks can deal with Emrakul, Sneak Attack and Show and Tell. Its the drawing 7 cards anytime you please being the problem.

But back to my orignal statement I dont think he will be banned. Its a 2 card combo that is more resiliant to counters, but this is why Jund and BUG has become so popular and more people are playing Hymn to Tourach again. Legacy changes a lot and people adapt. The format usually fixes itself.

coasterdude84
posted March 05, 2013 11:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
Yeah, and when they EOmyT Intuition => Show and Tell => Sneak Attack => Emrakul, (or some combination of that) I can pretty much just pack it in. Doesn't matter if I'm holding Needle or O-Ring, they can play around them so easily. I'm not saying it's nigh unstoppable, but for the sake of consistency, Survival was much easier to deal with and they banned that. I would expect these to not be long for the format.

mulder
posted March 05, 2013 12:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mulder Click Here to Email mulder Send a private message to mulder Click to send mulder an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:

There are lots of ways to stop Griselbrand from drawing cards, but I agree pretty much all of them are reactionary sideboard cards.

True... But then there's still the small issue of the 7/7 flying lifelink :-(. Not to mention that those cards do nothing against Emrakul or even Progenitus... .

JoshSherman
posted March 05, 2013 12:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:

Pardon my ignorance, but it looks to me like you're mentioning sideboard cards? What do you do game one?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by JoshSherman on March 05, 2013]

choco man
posted March 05, 2013 12:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Totally agree. Show And Tell is an abomination that needs to go.

quote:
True... But then there's still the small issue of the 7/7 flying lifelink :-(. Not to mention that those cards do nothing against Emrakul or even Progenitus... .

Show and Tell is completely fine. Yes, there are blowouts. For a card that symmetrical, there will always be blowouts. But most Legacy players have seen enough Show and Tells that are blow-outs the other way around also (Karakas locks out Emrakul, Venser/O-ring, Humility locks).

Show and Tell is an okay card. What's crazy are the fatties. Show and Tell is not getting crazy, the fatties are getting crazier. Thank you EDH for Emrakul, Griselbrand, Omniscience, etc.

Remember when Progenitus was the biggest baddest thing you can cheat out? Then it was Iona, then it was Emrakul, then it was Griselbrand.....

And no one....no one questioned Show and Tell/Natural Order back when Progenitus was the badass.

btw, with cursed totem a 7/7 flying lifelink is NOTHING. Under the same conditions, Sphinx of the Steel Wind is a 6/6 flying lifelink first strike with 2 protections and vigilance. You don't win enough games with just fatties attacking anymore.

But the MO for legacy should be sit and wait. You think they should ban something graveyard related and then BOOM! Rest in Peace gets released. Hell, even Counterbalance-top owned for a majority of the year after Terminus was released and Counter-top didn't get ban. Wait and see.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on March 05, 2013]

Pail42
posted March 05, 2013 12:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JoshSherman:
Pardon my ignorance, but it looks to me like you're mentioning sideboard cards? What do you do game one?

The best option against SaT is probably to play a different deck that can reliably win faster.

There aren't a lot of defenses against Show and Tell. Appetite for Brains(Griselbrand) or Duress(Omniscience) might work 'okay' as a main deck options because they also affect other decks, or as Choco Man points out you could play permanents that are equally as nasty as your opponent's creature.

IMHO, this is just another reason not to play competitive legacy. Reliable turn 2/3 are not fun to play against.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Pail42 on March 05, 2013]

Welkren Wanderlust
posted March 05, 2013 12:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Welkren Wanderlust Click Here to Email Welkren Wanderlust Send a private message to Welkren Wanderlust Click to send Welkren Wanderlust an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Welkren Wanderlust's Have/Want ListView Welkren Wanderlust's Have/Want List
IMHO, Show and tell/Sneak Attack fatty decks are not the problem as most colors have a SB card that beats it and MRB has a bad match-up against this sort of combo anyways or otherwise can mitigate the effects of it (See: Innocent Blood, O-Ring, Journey To Nowhere/O-ring), and even decks like elfball and mavericks that feel like they have hopeless match-ups can potentially swarm a SnT or SnS deck if they focus on attacking every turn and sac their lands for the Emrakul attack).

For me personally, though, I feel that SnT got a huge boost from the printing of Omniscience. As a card, omniscience essentially ends the game the turn they play SnT rather than following turn due to the ability of the deck at that point to just wishboard a win condition (burning wish/Petals of insight/Emrakul or storm). Omniscience also fundamentally ruins the interplay between gilded drake and and SnT, essentially creating a situation where SnT is a "risk-free" win-con.

IMO, the smart move is not to ban the enablers suck as SnT or Sneak Attack (legacy should be the form for such cards after all), but rather to ban the one cards that gives that deck a disproportionate advantage against the checks and balences that the enablers were built around (SnT doesn't give haste, Sneak Attack is 4CMC 1 activation making it a slower card in a fast format). For me, that means banning Omniscience. Banning Omniscience slows SnT down one turn, buying a crucial turn for the deck's opponents to respond and putting the ball in the court of the SnT player to protect their BFB (Big-Fat-Bastard).

Just my opinion on the SnT problem.

marlo213
posted March 05, 2013 01:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
Why doesn't everyone want something banned? How about we unban some stuff, like mind twist, earthcraft or yawgmoth's bargain? But seriously, wizards only ban stuff that the people don't see coming, like BBE or seething song. So if they were to ban something for the SaT deck, it would probably be ancient tomb or lotus petal

WeedIan
posted March 05, 2013 01:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:
Why doesn't everyone want something banned? How about we unban some stuff, like mind twist, earthcraft or yawgmoth's bargain? But seriously, wizards only ban stuff that the people don't see coming, like BBE or seething song. So if they were to ban something for the SaT deck, it would probably be ancient tomb or lotus petal

You seriously think bargain is safe to unban?

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League