Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Lost & Found - do you have a story to share?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Lost & Found - do you have a story to share?
majicman
posted March 18, 2013 05:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List

So, I thought it would be kind of interesting to see if anybody had any stories to share about cards they for sure thought they lost, the time elapsed and them finding said lost cards.

I will share mine. About 8 years or so ago, I decided to do a lot of sorting and organizing with magic and other items in my house in my family room. At the same time, I also decided to buy some new furniture (couch and chair).

Needless to say the furniture arrived with delivery guys, I was behind and I had a massive pile of magic cards and other stuff still in my family room, so I hurriedly put everything away. I had all my FBB dual land playset. I thought I had put everything away together.

After the guys dropped off the couches, I still had an old couch that I wanted to get rid of, the couch I was sorting stuff on, including my FBB dual lands. I decided the couch was old (ORANGE from the 70's - my grandma's couch I was using temporarily until I made a decision on what to buy).

Anyway, after I had the couch picked up by the waste management folks, I go back to look at my cards, specifically for all my FBB dual lands. I found them, but seemed to be missing 3 of them.

I looked through everything, or so I thought and after hours and hours of searching, said to myself, did they get stuck in the cushions of the orange couch and go to the junk yard, ARGGGGH!!!.

This weekend I was going through some stuff in my garage, some old papers that were in the room at the same time (not magic stuff I had already looked at) and I found the 3 FBB scrublands. I had acquired the missing ones, so now I have these 3 newfound gems, thought lost.

Pleasant surprise.

Anyone have a story of misplacing important pieces of your collection?

caquaa
posted March 18, 2013 05:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
too bad you didn't lose underground seas, hah.

Only thing I can really think of is my thoughtseize. I for the life of me couldn't find my 4th one. I was at a store and ready to just buy one, but something came up in the conversation that the store actually had a foil one in back and didn't put it in the case because locals didnt like foils. I ended up getting a reasonable deal on a foil thoughtseize. Then I start cleaning up a huge pile of proxy cards on my table that all have sharpie on the back and at the bottom of the huge pile is a card that isn't a proxy. I flip that card over and find out I own 5 thoughtseize. That was quite some time ago, so its long gone before the price spike :/

Pail42
posted March 18, 2013 06:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
I was drafting RtR around my birthday this year. I'm pretty sure one of my friends left me a sleeved Jace, but for the life of me I haven't been able to find it. Maybe one day it will show up again or maybe he changed his mind and either didn't tell me or I didn't notice - there was drinking involved. One day I too hope to have a great story

Volcanon
posted March 18, 2013 07:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In 2004/5/6 I bought a crazy amount of p3k. At least six or seven boxes. For a long time before recruiters and retainers etc were epensive they were in boxes. Later on it was rather fun to search a box and pull out $500 of cards.

Thanos
posted March 18, 2013 07:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Not exactly what the OP meant, but I'm still in shock over it:

quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
Did anyone hear about the idiot that left their 90% signed Jund deck on the table after the first round and didn't realize it till the start of the second round?

Yeah, thankfully whoever found it was honest and turned it in.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
Oh wow, that guy got super lucky!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
Yeah, that guy would be me, my heart dropped when I couldn't find my deck in my bag.

I tried finding out who returned it, but they didn't leave their name.

I wanted to give them something for being honest, they surely deserved it.

hilikuS
posted March 18, 2013 08:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
I once lost my backpack at a pre-release in Syracuse.

Freaked out like, oh no, where's my backpack?

Found it 10 minutes later. It was on my back.

paragondave
posted March 18, 2013 09:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:

Always the last place you look...

Pita
posted March 18, 2013 11:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pita Click Here to Email Pita Send a private message to Pita Click to send Pita an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

LOL !!!

hilikuS
posted March 19, 2013 07:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
More to the point of the OP's thread. Before I had my collection sorted, I was always digging through random forgotten boxes and finding gems. A lot of times it was bulk rares that turned good or something, but sometimes it was like whole decks, or draft decks with playable rares, etc. Random small box of bulk rares yielded 2 Show and Tell. I was so stoked because I paid like 20 cents each for em back in the day (bought them in a bulk rare lot). Only got $20 a piece for em though. Look like a fool right now, haha. Not that the backpack story didn't cause that ahead of time.

marlo213
posted March 19, 2013 10:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
More to the point of the OP's thread. Before I had my collection sorted, I was always digging through random forgotten boxes and finding gems. A lot of times it was bulk rares that turned good or something, but sometimes it was like whole decks, or draft decks with playable rares, etc. Random small box of bulk rares yielded 2 Show and Tell. I was so stoked because I paid like 20 cents each for em back in the day (bought them in a bulk rare lot). Only got $20 a piece for em though. Look like a fool right now, haha. Not that the backpack story didn't cause that ahead of time.

Same here, I bought 8 show and tell for like 4 dollars because I was trying to resolve coalition victory off of dream halls but when that plan failed I put that deck in some random box and didn't see it again until I saw show and tell blew up and I was super happy to sell them for 50/set...I wish that box stayed hidden for a couple of years longer

TimeBeing
posted March 19, 2013 12:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Lost my Cube and a Legacy Lands deck in my move. Packed them up. Was sure I put them aside to be safe. Or at least a box marked to go in the new place not storage. Never showed up.

Dug threw storage to see if they ended up there no luck.

A year later I was pulling some stuff out of storage(D&D minis) and said "I'm here I may as well dig again." Dig deeper I see a box that was in my old place (not in my old storage) and figured if they were any where it would be that box.

Found both of them!

dputz
posted March 19, 2013 12:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dputz Click Here to Email dputz Send a private message to dputz Click to send dputz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Not Magic cards, but I bought a long box of comics and as i was reading through I found $100 bill that some poor guy lost.

Not too shabby concidering I only paid $30 for the box of books.

It's kind of like lost and found...someone lost it and I found it :P

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League