Magic Discussion
  In need of Buy/selling advice (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   In need of Buy/selling advice
Purehate28
posted July 11, 2014 11:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey folks!

So, I have a few questions and I'm really hoping you amazing people can point me in the right direction and give me the advice that I'm looking for.

Just as all of you, I'm a passionate magic player and collecter. I've been playing since I was roughly 8 and I'm now 27. Very basic collecting, and just acquiring the cards I need to build my decks.

Anyway, as a side hobby... I'm really wanting to break into the eBay world of buying and selling MTG cards. Not in such a way of having to make a living out of it. But definitely enough to make a profit and it be worth the time I put into it.

I've bought plenty of cards off of eBay, always from credible sellers. And these people I buy from seem to constantly have a seemingly endless supply of the most valuable cards in standard. Example.. Elspeth or stormbreath dragon.

I guess what my main question is, if I intend do build a good size inventory of cards to sell. How do I do so? I understand the concept of buying low and selling high. But there is no way these sellers are buying random lots off of eBay and coming up on that many elspeths to turn around and sell week after week.

There's no way Going to a retailer and buying booster box after booster box at $120 a pop, cracking all the boosters, then turning around and selling all the rares for a profit is possible.

Or am I wrong?

So how is this done exactly? What do I need to do in order to start a mini-market and hobby out of buying and selling magic cards online?

caquaa
posted July 12, 2014 02:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
overlooking the glaringly obvious...

jbark
posted July 12, 2014 05:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Run before the virtual slap comes...
People who make a living will most likely not tell you how they do it efficiently. That you can figure out on your own. First step is get lots and lots of money.

Purehate28
posted July 12, 2014 07:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks. Didn't think I would actually get trolled here... Figured this community would actually be kind enough to educate me on the matter...

headumpire
posted July 12, 2014 08:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
A) Dont try and get into the standard buying and selling. You will lose.

I am the least likely person to give someone a virtual slap, and agree people on this site can be quite rude. That being said, no one is going to give you the building blocks to businesses that we had to create and learn the hard way. Doing that would just add another competitor for us.

With all sincerity I wish you the best of luck, it takes alot of work, but it is possible.

hilikuS
posted July 12, 2014 08:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Purehate28:
Wow, thanks. Didn't think I would actually get trolled here... Figured this community would actually be kind enough to educate me on the matter...

With all due respect. For someone to just give that information away would be the same as giving away someone's hard earned education on the matter. That information is valuable.

I do the things, but am small time as hell. The two guys who were nice enough to level with you here are being supremely cool. In the past I've seen these threads turn into flame fests. They happen fairly often.

If you do start banging it out, you'll eventually learn some things, and you'll find that these types of threads are kind of, I don't wanna say BS, but BS. From my limited perspective of the Magic business, the best advice you can receive for free is: "Learn it yourself." It's hard to say that without sounding pretentious, but I do not mean it that way.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by hilikuS on July 12, 2014]

mm1983
posted July 12, 2014 09:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Getting into the ebay world with mtg takes patience, time, and money. Keep in mind you have to build a decent feedback before many people start buying from you and for some of those buyers to be repeat customers. Being cheapest works but is not always the best because it could result in selling yourself short on items that see an overnight price increase but being cheapest is a good way to get some quick sales to build your feedback. As you earn different ebay statuses you'll eventually be able to get 20% off of final value fees and if you have a couple hundred or more items I'd strongly suggest doing the ebay store subscription for $20 a month as it gives you x amount of free listings and then .20 per listing for anything above x amount of listings or $50 gets you unlimited listings for free. Total fees between ebay and paypal are usually 12-15% and does not count shipping. Keep this in mind if you are buying to resell on ebay.

SageShadows
posted July 12, 2014 09:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for SageShadows Click Here to Email SageShadows Send a private message to SageShadows Click to send SageShadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
A lot of big established sellers build up their reputation to such a point where if people want to sell cards, they'll sell it to them. Without that pipeline, you're pretty much buying low and selling high, which isn't worth your time or effort if you want to make a lot of money.

Purehate28
posted July 12, 2014 10:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the positive advice guys. That's what I was looking for. Even if it's not giving away all the secrets of these sellers.

I understand that it's going to be a learning experience for myself. Fortunately, money isn't an issue, I can afford to blow quite a bit to get started on this... But as I said earlier, I'm also really not trying to make big money on this at all. A little bit of extra cash would be cool... But this is mainly just as a hobby. Hobby first, business second.

Purehate28
posted July 12, 2014 04:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Went and reached out to a local retailer today and worked out a deal to aquire booster boxes in bulk at a killer whole sale price. Thanks gents.

mini1337s
posted July 12, 2014 04:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mini1337s Click Here to Email mini1337s Send a private message to mini1337s Click to send mini1337s an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mini1337s's Have/Want ListView mini1337s's Have/Want List
You might find some decent advice from the Brainstorm Brewery podcast: brainstormbrewery.com . They discuss the basics of Magic finance and selling online quite often.
A piece of advice that I see time and time again is to keep your personal collection and your business's collection VERY separate. Most of the items you have the best potential to profit on is the stuff that as a player you want to keep. Know going into it what is yours and what is your stores.
Also, figure out shipping early on; most websites, like eBay and TCGplayer, will side with the buyer over the seller. Make sure you send things with delivery confirmation and in a way that is protected. You can buy bubble mailers in bulk, and these are the shipping standard for cards (toploader taped shut inside a bubblemailer).

Sovarius
posted July 12, 2014 06:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Have/Want ListView Sovarius's Have/Want List
"There's no way Going to a retailer and buying booster box after booster box at $120 a pop"

Well, they are not paying $120 a pop, for starters, so you're right, there is no way that's profitable.

jb231
posted July 12, 2014 11:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jb231 Click Here to Email jb231 Send a private message to jb231 Click to send jb231 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jb231's Have/Want ListView jb231's Have/Want List
It's the type of thing where you have to have both sides of the channel in place so you basically skim a fee for handling the cards from one source to another. I've never tried myself but these seem like the simplest routes to purchasing on the surface to me,
1) store front buy
2) online buylist
3) forum buylist
4) craigslist style buying, cash is king and big lots can have bigger discounts if you have the cash to offer
5) magic online redemptions with bots
6) you can also crack stuff but I don't know the logistics of that, you'd need to be buying the boxes from a distributor which regular folks can't do and the best money would probably be in the chase mythics that just came out.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jb231 on July 12, 2014]

MagicPatty
posted July 13, 2014 05:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
Some quick tips:

1. Buy low on craigslist... troll it and find folks that want your cash more than their cards.
2. Have some hard to find stuff: that is, you'll find that people on here often want a 'premium' in trade for their old stuff. Your 100.00 card can get you 120.00 in stuff... if you bought that 100.00 card for 75, the math works in your favor.
3. Remember that ebay is often the place where cards sell for their bottom price, so your job is not to sell things for as much as you can get, but rather your job (and the tough part) is to get a consistent stream of underpriced cards. This can happen by speculating on cards that may go up in value, finding friends that are happy to give a slight discount because you have something they need, or as stated in #2, by having something that is relatively hard to find thus getting a premium.

Good luck!

paragondave
posted July 13, 2014 07:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Buy all the Craw Wurms you can find. Corner the market. Those are Magic gold.

chaos021
posted July 13, 2014 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
Buy all the Craw Wurms you can find. Corner the market. Those are Magic gold.

Especially if you can get then with the super rare gold borders.

My Sale Thread

headumpire
posted July 13, 2014 11:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Went and reached out to a local retailer today and worked out a deal to aquire booster boxes in bulk at a killer whole sale price. Thanks gents.

#YouWillLoseYourShirt

paragondave
posted July 13, 2014 02:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:

But I'm keeping the retailer and the price a secret so as not to help out my competitors. Haha suckers!

jbark
posted July 13, 2014 03:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Curious what this killer deal is. Mine is $80 a box... and I believe from wizards they are $72 if you have the brick and mortar store.

Purehate28
posted July 14, 2014 12:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Purehate28 Click Here to Email Purehate28 Send a private message to Purehate28 Click to send Purehate28 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
Curious what this killer deal is. Mine is $80 a box... and I believe from wizards they are $72 if you have the brick and mortar store.

Ya, I got mine at $80.

paragondave
posted July 14, 2014 07:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Ya, I got mine at $80.

That's pretty typical if you preorder cases.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paragondave on July 14, 2014]

caquaa
posted July 14, 2014 08:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Ya, I got mine at $80.

now you'll lose slightly less per box when you open them, congrats!

coolio
posted July 15, 2014 06:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
not really a killer deal

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

noquarter
posted July 17, 2014 01:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for noquarter Click Here to Email noquarter Send a private message to noquarter Click to send noquarter an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The one person I've seen do this in real life (not to sound like this board isn't full of real people, but you know) was able to find a store that had a pretty good size pool of players (roughly 30 on average, more on pre-release, less on bad sets) and offered to buy cards for cash at a big named stores buy prices. The store didn't sell singles, so didn't cut into their business, and saved the players from having to send the cards in for the cash.

He should have been making decent money, since they would buy cards at the same stores prices, plus he traveled to a lot events and sold out there.

So, from what I saw, find a place with players that like money and play limited a lot. Buy from them at big name stores buy prices and sell at there sale prices. Have no over head and have cash on hand.

slurpee
posted July 17, 2014 03:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You will almost never make money dealing in Standard cards

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League