Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Future of Modern

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Future of Modern
fluffycow
posted February 19, 2013 03:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
Hey guy, I was very hyped about Modern. Then when Wizards announced Modern Masters and even allowing Modern to be part of FNM, I was even more excited about it. However, when I talked to my local store about it, they were less than enthusiastic. After weeks of pushing it, I finally got them to run a Modern FNM next to the Standard one, and literally 3 other people showed up. I was extremely disappointed. Now with all the cards shooting up to legacy prices, I don't know if there is really a future for modern.

I know that people play it somewhere, but it's just not here and I don't know how to encourage people to give it a chance. Everyone wants to play standard and most players have only been around for <2 yrs. Is Modern a local thing for any of you guys? Did it start off quickly or was promotion needed? Any stories or suggestion would help. Any non-standard format is extremely dead in my area and I want to give modern a chance to breathe. Thanks guys

TimeBeing
posted February 19, 2013 03:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
NEw formats are always slow growing. People build decks when they se other people playing. So the store should start running none FNM modern on sundays or something. If people keep showing up (4 or 6 or 8) the number will grow as more people build decks to play. even if they are not $500 decks.

MeddlingMage
posted February 19, 2013 03:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by TimeBeing:
NEw formats are always slow growing. People build decks when they se other people playing. So the store should start running none FNM modern on sundays or something. If people keep showing up (4 or 6 or 8) the number will grow as more people build decks to play. even if they are not $500 decks.

This. I remember when EDH was very slow. Now it's getting better all the time. Kinda wished I stuck with it though.

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

Zeckk
posted February 19, 2013 04:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Wait until MM actually hits the stores. There will be a ton of casuals that buy a pack or two, then decide to build a deck around some of the cards they pulled.

revenger
posted February 19, 2013 04:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
Modern Masters will help the format grow, but not sure it will "explode" like another format has.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

revenger
posted February 19, 2013 04:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
Wait until MM actually hits the stores. There will be a ton of casuals that buy a pack or two, then decide to build a deck around some of the cards they pulled.

This depends on what is in MM. Trust me, someone buys a pack and their card is something like, idk, Insurrection, they will be seriously turned off. Wotc better be careful of what to put in MM.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

iccarus
posted February 19, 2013 05:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
The biggest hurdle for the format right now is card availability. If modern masters does not help to alleviate that problem, then the format will end up being like extended. It will see play during a ptq season and then not be touched the rest of the year.

Standard remains so popular because you can usually find the cards at your lgs. Yes, decks die quickly compared to an eternal format, but at least you can usually pick stuff up to move on to the next deck with minimal effort.

Another factor would be whether scg ever ads modern as a format in the open series. Formats need that kind of regular attention to thrive.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

Zeckk
posted February 20, 2013 12:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
I feel like SCG is already gearing up their stock to announce some modern events after this year, hence the large increases in buylist pricing for dual legacy/modern staples, i.e. thoughtseize, ZEN fetches, etc.

SCG has already dropped the Legacy open from ~5 of their weekly events for the first half of the year due to a poor turnout the previous year, and it stands to reason that if SCG could single-handedly drive the north american popularity of legacy, they can do it for modern as well, with the upside of increased card availability as well. I guess time will tell.

hilikuS
posted February 20, 2013 06:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
The biggest hurdle for the format right now is card availability. If modern masters does not help to alleviate that problem, then the format will end up being like extended. It will see play during a ptq season and then not be touched the rest of the year.

I see the opposite as far as availability. Vintage died because of card availability and lack of diversity. Legacy did not, despite a lot of the cards being tough to get.

Modern gives WoTC the option of reprinting just about everything in the format, and controlling the price and supply of it somewhat. It also seems that it will still be vastly diverse like Legacy is. Lots of different options to go with, and every new set should give you a few more.

Extended was a throw away because it's a rotating format. I feel like if you're going to play something that rotates, you play Standard.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by hilikuS on February 20, 2013]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League