Magic Discussion
  Searched packs (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Searched packs
marlo213
posted February 15, 2013 12:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
I was gonna wait a bit before posting another thread, but since my last one got closed, I figured it's about time for another one. Story time:

So there was suppose to be an edh tournament but for some reason it didn't end up happening so we just had a bunch of guys sitting around playing casual and talking. One guy suggested that we draft but most people didn't want to pay for anything until Gatecrash came out. So the guy said that he had a bunch of packs from his winnings and we can just give him $10 worth of cards and he'll provide the packs; and rare draft was fine with everyone.

There were 8 of us and after cracking 24 packs of RTR, the best card in there was a foil temple garden, but the best non-foil rare was a loxodon smiter followed by multiple copies of havoc festival and conjured currency.

I won the draft so I got the templed garden but everyone else got shafted except for the guy that provided the packs. This was after I heard about the searched packs app on here but nothing clicked until the next day. I am unsure if I should bring it up the next time I see the dude, but if I did, how should I go about doing it? I mean I didn't exactly lose, so should I even bother?

walkerdog
posted February 15, 2013 12:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:
I was gonna wait a bit before posting another thread, but since my last one got closed, I figured it's about time for another one. Story time:

So there was suppose to be an edh tournament but for some reason it didn't end up happening so we just had a bunch of guys sitting around playing casual and talking. One guy suggested that we draft but most people didn't want to pay for anything until Gatecrash came out. So the guy said that he had a bunch of packs from his winnings and we can just give him $10 worth of cards and he'll provide the packs; and rare draft was fine with everyone.

There were 8 of us and after cracking 24 packs of RTR, the best card in there was a foil temple garden, but the best non-foil rare was a loxodon smiter followed by multiple copies of havoc festival and conjured currency.

I won the draft so I got the templed garden but everyone else got shafted except for the guy that provided the packs. This was after I heard about the searched packs app on here but nothing clicked until the next day. I am unsure if I should bring it up the next time I see the dude, but if I did, how should I go about doing it? I mean I didn't exactly lose, so should I even bother?

$10 of cards is rough $8 in cash unless it was actually a card I can flip for $10, which is 2.66/pack, or only a little above the going rate for searched packs. They might be searched, and next time you might suggest a lower rate or someone else provide the packs.

isetfire
posted February 15, 2013 01:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Did the pack provider at least buy sodas for everyone?

flophaus
posted February 15, 2013 01:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by isetfire:

haha! I honestly laughed!

hilikuS
posted February 15, 2013 01:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Yeah man, you must live in shadyville.

fedorables
posted February 15, 2013 02:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fedorables Send a private message to fedorables Click to send fedorables an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fedorables's Have/Want ListView fedorables's Have/Want List
Let me guess.

Is this a picture of the guy handing out packs?

junichi
posted February 15, 2013 02:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
Next person goes off topic gets a smack.

DO NOT send cards to Jon Strickland, 1971 St.Laurent Blvd
Apt 705, Ottawa Ontario, Canada K1G 3P8. He is a known ripper/hacker.

Mr.C
posted February 15, 2013 02:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Well, given the people you associate with, yes, they were probably searched.

You can't prove it.

Bugger
posted February 15, 2013 02:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
Well, given the people you associate with, yes, they were probably searched.

You can't prove it.

This, feels like.

I'm trying to think of a way to counter it and coming up short, unfortunately. I guess just bring your own packs next time :/

Teferi Planeswalker
posted February 15, 2013 02:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Teferi Planeswalker Click Here to Email Teferi Planeswalker Send a private message to Teferi Planeswalker Click to send Teferi Planeswalker an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want ListView Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want List
If the person who provided the packs is a good player and it's possible that those are all prize packs (i.e. he wins a lot of your local tournaments and doesnt open the packs afterwards), then I'd think that is what happened.

The one reason I dont think its mapped is because, if he had mapped packs, he would have given himself 3 on color boros bomb rares and cleaned up the draft too.

MeddlingMage
posted February 15, 2013 03:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Teferi Planeswalker:
If the person who provided the packs is a good player and it's possible that those are all prize packs (i.e. he wins a lot of your local tournaments and doesnt open the packs afterwards), then I'd think that is what happened.

The one reason I dont think its mapped is because, if he had mapped packs, he would have given himself 3 on color boros bomb rares and cleaned up the draft too.

Well if they were tournament winnings, then the LGS or whomever gave him the packs. He would/should have no idea if they were searched, mapped, or whatever, right?

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

paragondave
posted February 15, 2013 05:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:

I think you should go right up to him the next time you see him and berate him loudly enough to get everyone's attention. Threaten him, question his integrity, say things about his mother, even question his manhood, whatever it takes to really let him know how upset you are. I'm sure he'll make it up to you... oh yeah, Karma.

Zeckk
posted February 15, 2013 05:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
I think you should go right up to him the next time you see him and berate him loudly enough to get everyone's attention. Threaten him, question his integrity, say things about his mother, even question his manhood, whatever it takes to really let him know how upset you are. I'm sure he'll make it up to you... oh yeah, Karma.

I really wish I could see you in action in real life. That's not a threat, I just feel like it would be extremely entertaining to see how your life philosophy plays out in the real world.

I wouldn't make assumptions about searched packs unless you get a pattern of low-value drafts out of the guy. I draft 2 times a week at the local shop, and I've seen RTR drafts with 10 shocklands, as well as RTR drafts with the highest value non-foil card being a mizzium mortars. Variance DOES happen.

Lord Crovax
posted February 15, 2013 05:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So low price drafts with searched packs is immoral? Seriously?
lol

Volcanon
posted February 15, 2013 05:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You could have just had a bad box. It happens. People don't whine on here when they pull amazing boxes. Only when they get rare-less Stronghold boxes or something.

Also: Oh noes! A foil temple garden! You'd better ship it to me for $1 because clearly that card suuuucks.

Bugger
posted February 15, 2013 05:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
I really wish I could see you in action in real life. That's not a threat, I just feel like it would be extremely entertaining to see how your life philosophy plays out in the real world.

I wouldn't make assumptions about searched packs unless you get a pattern of low-value drafts out of the guy. I draft 2 times a week at the local shop, and I've seen RTR drafts with 10 shocklands, as well as RTR drafts with the highest value non-foil card being a mizzium mortars. Variance DOES happen.

I understand you're chomping at the bit to get into another tussle with dave, but he was being sarcastic.

Also, what volcanon said.

bellaxiemtg
posted February 16, 2013 12:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bellaxiemtg Click Here to Email bellaxiemtg Send a private message to bellaxiemtg Click to send bellaxiemtg an Instant MessageVisit bellaxiemtg's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:
Well if they were tournament winnings, then the LGS or whomever gave him the packs. He would/should have no idea if they were searched, mapped, or whatever, right?

~MM

SolonJhee
posted February 16, 2013 04:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for SolonJhee Click Here to Email SolonJhee Send a private message to SolonJhee Click to send SolonJhee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah you're definitely overreacting to a 24 pack sample. I've done a million team drafts and we have had some epic bad pulls where the best card was a foil Japanese Herbal Poultice. And we usually always bring our own packs and I know half the guys open their own boxes without mapping.

You obviously have never opened a bad box. Back when I used to buy boxes for the fun of opening packs, I've had 1 mythic boxes that were a pretty big letdown. But I've always had 5 mythic boxes with 5 fetchlands. Variance.

You get a foil shockland and want to think the guy is searching his packs? If he was searching his packs you wouldn't have opened ANY foils.

s14sh3r
posted February 16, 2013 04:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for s14sh3r Click Here to Email s14sh3r Send a private message to s14sh3r Click to send s14sh3r an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View s14sh3r's Trade Auction or SaleView s14sh3r's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by SolonJhee:
You get a foil shockland and want to think the guy is searching his packs? If he was searching his packs you wouldn't have opened ANY foils.

Mapping is for non-foil rares only. Foils are not included when searching the boxes.

caquaa
posted February 16, 2013 04:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by s14sh3r:
Mapping is for non-foil rares only. Foils are not included when searching the boxes.

sure, mapping maybe, but in the past I've been able to pull foils out with near perfect rate. I kinda stopped trying the last two sets cause its useless, but i'll assume you could do this with current sets still.

ermabwed
posted February 16, 2013 07:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ermabwed Click Here to Email ermabwed Send a private message to ermabwed Click to send ermabwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ermabwed's Have/Want ListView ermabwed's Have/Want List
I agree. I've never tried to do it myself, but I did know a guy who hit 9 out of 10 on a sample large enough to be considered proof. He could just feel them through the wrapper because of the way they slightly bend.

coasterdude84
posted February 16, 2013 07:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

I think we need to standardize our terminology here because it's getting a little confusing.

Searching: Physically manipulating the packs to 1. see what they contain, typically done with older packs (e.g., Legends, Revised) or 2. find foils.

Mapping: Using a large data set of opened packs to determine rare card locations within a box, then pulling those and selling off the "garbage" packs.

Most likely, the packs he provided weren't searched, otherwise the foil Temple Garden wouldn't have been handed out. I would assume, as others have said, they were simply prize packs with a bad luck of the draw. If, however, they were mapped by this guy, then you are hanging around with some REALLY dishonest people (which based on your threads, also seems to be a theme).

oneofchaos
posted February 16, 2013 09:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Why did I somehow read the bulk of this post without seeing the author and then immediately knowing who the author was...

Anyways I'd honestly try to draft with him more and see if you can prove anything with a larger sample size. Or if the guy is sketchy then don't draft with him.

For example, we did a 5 person sealed with a box of Gatecrash I bought the other day. Two people had mythic after 30 packs were cracked. People were complaining this box "defies statistics" and we got ripped. Remaining three packs were the dark confidant UB gay, primespeaker, and a foil obzeddet with a breeding pool in that pack. While my point is that not every box has 5 mythics (EV of a box is 4.5 IIRC), is that you have 12 (which is 1/3 of the box) boosters that weren't cracked. The best part was the guy who cracked the foil obzeddat hadn't played in eight years and wanted to trade it to me for my orzhov commons and uncommons and I wouldn't let him because taking advantage of new guys is kind of wrong.

SolonJhee
posted February 16, 2013 09:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for SolonJhee Click Here to Email SolonJhee Send a private message to SolonJhee Click to send SolonJhee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah sorry, I meant to say there were 'other' methods of determining foils. Mapping to get out the rares you want, then weighing and whatever to get out the foils. I'd guess the same type of person would do both.

rockondon
posted February 16, 2013 10:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
So when there is blatant evidence of someone getting ripped for like $1000 you say nothing, but when there is no evidence that someone might potentially be ripping people off a couple bucks on packs you want to make a stink about it?
quote:
Originally posted by isetfire:

lol

|~~My #1 Angel~~l'_|'_|_|)
|(@)(@)""***|(@)(@)**|(@)

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League