Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Standard Deck Predictions with Gatecrash.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Standard Deck Predictions with Gatecrash.
2austin5
posted January 28, 2013 05:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
So with gatecrash let loose now, what decks will become prevalent and which cards will impact the format the most. Will domri rade and gideon make any solid appearances? Will these decks keep a healthy diverse format? Let the discussion roll because I want to get some ideas on decks I may want to make

WeedIan
posted January 28, 2013 08:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Boros Aggro!

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Zeckk
posted January 28, 2013 08:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Biggest impact - Shocks, Boros Charm, Frontline Medic, Aurelia's Fury, Legion Loyalist.

Fringe Impact - Dimir Charm, Orzhov Charm, Simic Charm, Gideon, Firemane Avenger.

That's it. There are some sleepers, like Duskmantle Seer and Master Biomancer, but those are post-rotation goodies.

skizzikmonger
posted January 28, 2013 08:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
Biggest impact - Shocks, Boros Charm, Frontline Medic, Aurelia's Fury, Legion Loyalist.

Fringe Impact - Dimir Charm, Orzhov Charm, Simic Charm, Gideon, Firemane Avenger.

That's it. There are some sleepers, like Duskmantle Seer and Master Biomancer, but those are post-rotation goodies.

Gideon's trash, and Duskmantle Seer is barely above trash. Biomancer is good (as is Prime Speaker Zegana) and it'll see play now, not after rotation.

Zeckk
posted January 28, 2013 11:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Biomancer is a 2/4 for 4 that does nothing when it hits play. Aggro doesn't care about it, control doesn't care about it. Midrange cares about it only if there's a GoST already in play or they can't answer the thragtusks or resto angels that come after it. It's a sleeper, period.

At least Duskmantle Seer is a decent evasive body that gives you usable CA before your opponent. Still a sleeper, but it looks good in the current block card pool.

skizzikmonger
posted January 29, 2013 01:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Biomancer is a 2/4 for 4 that does nothing when it hits play. Aggro doesn't care about it, control doesn't care about it. Midrange cares about it only if there's a GoST already in play or they can't answer the thragtusks or resto angels that come after it. It's a sleeper, period.

Not to mention that Biomancer's awful the turn before you play a Huntmaster. Two 4/4's for 2RG? That's awful!

quote:
At least Duskmantle Seer is a decent evasive body that gives you usable CA before your opponent. Still a sleeper, but it looks good in the current block card pool.

Seer's a hunk of crap in anything that isn't aggro, and it's questionable there. Biomancer can get out of hand quickly unless you deal with it, especially if you have more than one in play.

nylarotep
posted January 29, 2013 08:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
quote:
Biggest impact - Shocks, Boros Charm, Frontline Medic, Aurelia's Fury, Legion Loyalist, Boros Reckoner, Skullcrack, Obzedat, Domri.

Fringe Impact - Dimir Charm, Orzhov Charm, Simic Charm, Gideon, Firemane Avenger, Spark Trooper, Blind Obedience.

Fixed that for you

Demilio
posted January 29, 2013 08:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Skullcrack will definitely have an impact.

2austin5
posted January 29, 2013 09:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
So why do people believe that the prime speaker will be good? I get that obviously it can be a great CA generator but what is the chance that it comes out with a lot of counters on it?

daner
posted January 29, 2013 10:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
Skull Crack, Boros Reckoner and Obzedat will have and impact almost instantly. I would say the shocks would too but that's like saying the sun rises in the East.

quote:
Originally posted by 2austin5:
So why do people believe that the prime speaker will be good? I get that obviously it can be a great CA generator but what is the chance that it comes out with a lot of counters on it?

I'd say there is a pretty good chance it comes down with counters on it bc Bant is a real deck.

Thragtusk followed by Prime Speaker = 6/6 draw 5. Even if they deal with the Tragtusk befor eor in response you still get a 4/4 draw 3 for 6.....which is pretty good. It's like a Sphinx's Revelation but instead of drawing and gaining you draw and get a sizable body.

Will it see play? I think so, dunno...it seems like it's really good on paper.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by daner on January 29, 2013]

Link139232
posted January 29, 2013 11:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
I think Duskmantle is really good. Grixis Aggro could be a thing now.

Aside from that, has anyone seen the Hermit Druid-esque interaction with some of the commons in gatecrash? Turn 1 kills in legacy are going to be a thing now too.

Zeckk
posted January 29, 2013 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nylarotep:
Fixed that for you

Appreciated . Though I disagree with Reckoner. Standard is absolutely flooded with better 3 drops right now.

Lord Crovax
posted January 29, 2013 12:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Appreciated . Though I disagree with Reckoner. Standard is absolutely flooded with better 3 drops right now.

Reckoner is already being put in multiple decks, RDW for example, most Naya builds to, just does SOO much, hell even R/B aggro will probably play it to.

It's one of those "Until you play it" type of cards...

Zeckk
posted January 29, 2013 12:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
Reckoner is already being put in multiple decks, RDW for example, most Naya builds to, just does SOO much, hell even R/B aggro will probably play it to.

It's one of those "Until you play it" type of cards...

Anyone that's puts it into naya is an idiot. I'll take the ability to run Kessig Wolf Run or Slayers Stronghold over Reckoner any day of the week.

RDW- sure, I guess. RB aggro is simply a better version of that deck, and RB aggro is pretty much optimized at this point, with skullcrack for sideboard goodness. Reckoner is not a $6 card, at least not until after rotation.

Lord Crovax
posted January 29, 2013 12:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone that's puts it into naya is an idiot. I'll take the ability to run Kessig Wolf Run or Slayers Stronghold over Reckoner any day of the week.

RDW- sure, I guess. RB aggro is simply a better version of that deck, and RB aggro is pretty much optimized at this point, with skullcrack for sideboard goodness. Reckoner is not a $6 card, at least not until after rotation.

He is just soo good versus aggro early game (Which is what he is being a 3 drop) Kills or trades with Thrag, almost never want to block him, 2-1's all the time with fight mechanic (PW and Pit Fight are both have potential)

All testing I've seen with him suggests he is the real deal, and extremely powerful...least so long as control type decks stay gone.

nylarotep
posted January 30, 2013 09:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
Pretty sure RDW has a favorable matchup against R/B aggro. Also, Reckoner is also solid against Bonfire and Aurelia's Fury. Pretty much you can't trade profitably with him.

walkerdog
posted January 30, 2013 09:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:

It is the best red 3-drop right now. You're just incorrect on this one.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League