Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  elves in legacy?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   elves in legacy?
Zarfolos132
posted January 21, 2013 05:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zarfolos132 Click Here to Email Zarfolos132 Send a private message to Zarfolos132 Click to send Zarfolos132 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zarfolos132's Have/Want ListView Zarfolos132's Have/Want List
Before I spend tome and a decent account of money I'd like to know is there any room for elves in legacy, I'm wanting to run the nettle sentinel heritage druid combo with an emrakul won con, using elruzi, renegade leader and good old fashioned beat down if I don't poop my win con not sure on side board but is this a valid choice for legacy or should I copy the"popular decks"

wayne
posted January 21, 2013 05:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
Matt Nass top 8ed a Legacy GP with Elves

Aznopium
posted January 21, 2013 06:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
it's a competitive deck in the current meta.

if that's the deck i wanted to play, i would play it.

psrex
posted January 21, 2013 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
Agreed. It's not a bad choice right now.

Zarfolos132
posted January 21, 2013 06:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zarfolos132 Click Here to Email Zarfolos132 Send a private message to Zarfolos132 Click to send Zarfolos132 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zarfolos132's Have/Want ListView Zarfolos132's Have/Want List
Oh awesome, I like elves and wanted to play them, guess its time to invest in some old elves Thanks for the replies folks

Thanos
posted January 21, 2013 07:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Here is some lists to look over:

http://mtgpulse.com/search#[informat=4&witharchetype=186]

Soldier Boi
posted January 22, 2013 11:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
SCG Columbus was won by Elves. I play against him pretty often. He changes his deck a lot though to fit the current meta game. But he has been playing elves for as long as I've known him.

frankenskid
posted January 24, 2013 07:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for frankenskid Click Here to Email frankenskid Send a private message to frankenskid Click to send frankenskid an Instant MessageVisit frankenskid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View frankenskid's Have/Want ListView frankenskid's Have/Want List
Seems like a decent deck, and has decent matchups. There's a guy that plays it alot in my local meta, and he seems to at least have fun.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 24, 2013 07:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's a strong choice in Legacy, and one of the cheaper ones to boot. Go for it.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

JoshSherman
posted January 24, 2013 08:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
I've had an elf build for years. It's the one that builds up to kill with Emrakul. There are a couple cards I don't have for Nass' build (2 deathrite, 2 green fetch. And 2 cradle), and I can't figure out how to combo off with it gold fishing. Has anyone else noticed that it's way easier to fizzle? I think it's got something to do with the deathrite/fetch package. Of course, I'm also playing with replacements instead of proxies. Those being

Emrakul
Terastodon
Elvish Archdruid (behemoth is on the way)
4 Crop Rotation

I don't understand why there's only one Birchlore Ranger in his build. I'm thinking about cutting 2 rotations for one to try. Keep in mind this is entirely gold fishing. Won't get out to the card shop for a while.

I forgot to mention that I'm running Summoner's Pact instead of Natural Order. I'm not completely sure how to get the sideboard Progenitus into play like that, but I can figure it out.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by JoshSherman on January 24, 2013]

psrex
posted January 24, 2013 10:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
If you're interested in Elves you should read Matt Nass's tourney report:

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/getting-nassty-elves-in-denver-top-8/

and then check out the Elves thread here:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?17168-Deck-Elves-Combo/

You probably want to start with the last couple pages of the thread.

JayC
posted January 24, 2013 04:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List
Loses bad to high tide, hypergenesis, storm, belcher, uw miracles, etc.

JoshSherman
posted January 25, 2013 12:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
Nass said in his article that you don't draw too much land, and I am extremely skeptical of his statement. With that in mind, I've been looking for a card that would allow me to use the excess land to my advantage. I've come up with two possibilities: Faithless Looting, and Oona's Grace. At the moment, my deck looks like Nass' with these exceptions:

Only 2 Deathrite Shaman (Birchlore and Llanowar)
Only 8 Fetches (Emrakul and Vitalize)
Only 2 Gaea's Cradle (2 Crop Rotations in place)
Summoner's Pact instead of Natural Order

I like the idea of having Emrakul in addition to Craterhoof. I want to try Vitalize out as another way to prevent fizzling, but this is where the other card would go. I've also considered a Momentary Blink or Cloudshift to get a second Craterhoof or second Regal Force ability.

If I think I'm going to cast Progenitus, then I should consider upping the Birchlore Rangers, even though they don't produce mana on their own. I'm pretty well tapped out now and am unlikely to pick up Natural Orders soon.

So, I'm thinking my last slot should be one of:
Vitalize
Momentary Blink or Cloudshift
Birchlore Rangers
Either Faithless Looting or Oona's Grace.

Oona's Grace may be counterproductive, because if I have the mana to make it work for me, I probably have the mana to win. Vitalize... I think I'd rather have more cards than more mana.Then again, there's always Birchlore Rangers. I already have two instead of one in, though. After some whittling, I'm down to one of:
Momentary Blink or Cloudshift
Birchlore Rangers
Faithless Looting

I like that I can blink (or Loot) twice. Cloudshift's advantage over Blink is its cost. I need Birchlore to cast Progenitus, plus having a third would help cast these other cards I'm looking at. Hmm...

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League