Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Worst experiences winning a game? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Worst experiences winning a game?
theqissilent
posted January 15, 2013 07:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for theqissilent Click Here to Email theqissilent Send a private message to theqissilent Click to send theqissilent an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am just curious. It does not happen often, but sometimes winning SUCKS.

A few months back I went to the diamond event in columbus for side events, trade/sell and support friends (i despise standard).
I entered 4 commander pods, winning them all turns 3, 4, 3 and 2, respectively. I was honestly hoping for a more competative meta at a large event, but taking 48 boosters for $40 was fine by me. The crappy part was the 4th pod. I sit down next to one of my opponents, he shows me his commander, I reveal mine and we both start shuffling up. Enter opponents 3 & 4...a 7 year old girl and her father. I go to switch to a more casual deck and opponent #1 asks the judge if I can do this, the judge refuses. So I go on to steamroll the girl and her father, after they both play a tapped land and pass. She starts crying, the father chews me out and storms off, leaving me feeling awful. Worst win ever.

yakusoku
posted January 15, 2013 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I beat a guy at FNM who made veiled threats, berated me for calling a judge because he would not let me see the contents of his graveyard, wrote on the match slip that I had cheated for including mythic rares in my deck, and made racist remarks. The judges had to explain to him that this behavior was not acceptable.

Truman
posted January 15, 2013 07:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Truman Click Here to Email Truman Send a private message to Truman Click to send Truman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Truman's Have/Want ListView Truman's Have/Want List
Maybe I'm playing commander the wrong way. How do you win a commander pod on turn 2, 3, or 4?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Truman on January 15, 2013]

theqissilent
posted January 15, 2013 07:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for theqissilent Click Here to Email theqissilent Send a private message to theqissilent Click to send theqissilent an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wow. Thats terrible. I loathe poor sports almost as much as racism. Sorry to hear that.

quote:
Originally posted by Truman:
Maybe I'm playing commander the wrong way. How do you win a commander pod on turn 2, 3, or 4?

I have won on turn 1 with that deck...once. ad nauseam into my entire deck, sickening dreams+ dark sphere. Had another deck that did turn 2-4 kills using hermit druid and necrotic ooze but sold it.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by theqissilent on January 15, 2013]

MelbourneMTG
posted January 15, 2013 08:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MelbourneMTG Click Here to Email MelbourneMTG Send a private message to MelbourneMTG Click to send MelbourneMTG an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MelbourneMTG's Have/Want ListView MelbourneMTG's Have/Want List
Happened this past Saturday during a Standard Constructed tourney at my LGS. I played Esper Control against a 9 year old with a token deck. After dropping a Curse of Death's Hold and Jace-milling three of four Intangible Virtues on the first shot, he looked like he was going to cry.

Game two a combo of Negate, Dissipate, Supreme Verdict, and a miracled Entreat for 5 a few turns later sealed the deal. He quietly scooped his cards, walked back to his dad, and buried his face in his shoulder. I felt like I had just kicked a puppy.

bushe
posted January 15, 2013 08:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bushe Click Here to Email bushe Send a private message to bushe Click to send bushe an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bushe's Have/Want ListView bushe's Have/Want List
to the OP, at a large event commander pods are the last place to look for "a more competative meta." I don't understand why anyone would desire to play competitive EDH, but you guys who do have poisoned the well of the commander side pods that most of the Commander players that I know won't even enter side events anymore. So I guess that you aren't alone.

I also don't get why you would feel bad about it. You knew you were a shark and were there to win - other people's fun need not apply. If you wanted a casual laid back game without ultra-competitive tension you wouldn't have played a deck that does things like win on turn 2. Everybody has their own barometer of fun so I don't begrudge you of it, I just wouldn't ever play with you again.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 15, 2013 09:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Probably the kid (well, university student) who had a meltdown when I won our round of the draft, said "GG," and held out my hand. Yup, manascrew sucks, but it has nothing to do with me.

He seemed overly gleeful when he pounded me in the next draft (guess who got manascrewed that time?)...

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

Lord Crovax
posted January 15, 2013 09:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by theqissilent:
I am just curious. It does not happen often, but sometimes winning SUCKS.

A few months back I went to the diamond event in columbus for side events, trade/sell and support friends (i despise standard).
I entered 4 commander pods, winning them all turns 3, 4, 3 and 2, respectively. I was honestly hoping for a more competative meta at a large event, but taking 48 boosters for $40 was fine by me. The crappy part was the 4th pod. I sit down next to one of my opponents, he shows me his commander, I reveal mine and we both start shuffling up. Enter opponents 3 & 4...a 7 year old girl and her father. I go to switch to a more casual deck and opponent #1 asks the judge if I can do this, the judge refuses. So I go on to steamroll the girl and her father, after they both play a tapped land and pass. She starts crying, the father chews me out and storms off, leaving me feeling awful. Worst win ever.

Seeing a 7 year old sit down you could have always played slow? Least give them the illusion of a match. Maybe even setting up so she and her father could win, specially if you were already ahead.

least thats what I would have done, hell I do that at FNM's and Pre-releases all time if playing someone really young, I try and help them as much as possible with in the rules, just seems right.

theqissilent
posted January 15, 2013 10:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for theqissilent Click Here to Email theqissilent Send a private message to theqissilent Click to send theqissilent an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
How silly of me, paying $10 a game and expecting competition....

I can't bring myself to lose on purpose, especialy with cash on the line. It is a glass cannon, if I wait to go off, I lose. Thats why I wanted to switch decks. Kudos to you if you are willing to throw away $30 at a sealed event to ego-boost a child, seriously. You will never see me doing that.

Bugger
posted January 15, 2013 10:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
aaaaaaand here it goes

Lord Crovax
posted January 15, 2013 10:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

I can't bring myself to lose on purpose, especialy with cash on the line. It is a glass cannon, if I wait to go off, I lose. Thats why I wanted to switch decks. Kudos to you if you are willing to throw away $30 at a sealed event to ego-boost a child, seriously. You will never see me doing that.

Well sorry if 10$ is so much money, specially when you clearly stated you were already ahead.

Also who said anything about throwing away money on sealed? Healping does not equal losing, so ....

and if you seriously care so little, why make this thread? This post of yours seriously makes me question your motives.

and yes Bugger, this thread is probably on it's way to a early closing now.

marlo213
posted January 15, 2013 10:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:

You paid money to win, not to spoil other players. Casual is free for a reason. Hell, you probably did the other people a favor, sometimes you need to get your butt kicked to get better

Lord Crovax
posted January 15, 2013 10:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:
You paid money to win, not to spoil other players. Casual is free for a reason. Hell, you probably did the other people a favor, sometimes you need to get your butt kicked to get better

Versus anyone but kids under 10, I'd agree, for them, well it's a totally different experience and in no way good.

theqissilent
posted January 15, 2013 11:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for theqissilent Click Here to Email theqissilent Send a private message to theqissilent Click to send theqissilent an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You said I could have helped her, slow rolled or set up a win for her, then went on to say you have done this. Maybe you werent refering to letting your opponents win but simply to helping them. If so, I misinterpreted what you said.

I have and do help younger and new players frequently. My post was about how I was more or less "trapped" into the deck and how I took absolutely no pleasure from upsetting children. I don't have a lot of extra cash going around, so $10 is a lot at times.

Lord Crovax
posted January 15, 2013 11:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
You said I could have helped her, slow rolled or set up a win for her, then went on to say you have done this. Maybe you weren't referring to letting your opponents win but simply to helping them. If so, I misinterpreted what you said.

Correct I wasn't, only time I'll even consider completely throwing a game is if I can afford to, which happens rarely, then again so does playing against kids that young.

TBH though if I was in your spot, and had already won the 1st 3, and was already ahead on prizes, I would have tried my hardest to set it up so she would have won, the excitment she would have felt would have been worth it, again IMHO.

paris
posted January 15, 2013 11:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I went to a pre-release draft once, and one of my opponents had bad hygiene and oily hands. He insisted on picking up all of my cards as I played them, to read them over. I won the match, but I no longer felt like touching the cards, so after the draft ended I gave them away.

iccarus
posted January 15, 2013 11:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
Anyone who enters a competitive commander pod expecting a "casual" game is delusional. They exist simply for people who treat it like a 100-card combo format. It is precisely why I will never play in one, since they are very clearly not what EDH is about and offer almost no interaction.

TOs do a disservice to people like the dad/daughter pair by not including a better description of the event for non-competitive folks. They would have been better off just looking for pickup games in the hall.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

Lord Crovax
posted January 15, 2013 11:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
Anyone who enters a competitive commander pod expecting a "casual" game is delusional. They exist simply for people who treat it like a 100-card combo format. It is precisely why I will never play in one, since they are very clearly not what EDH is about and offer almost no interaction.

TOs do a disservice to people like the dad/daughter pair by not including a better description of the event for non-competitive folks. They would have been better off just looking for pickup games in the hall.

and so much of this.

theqissilent
posted January 15, 2013 11:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for theqissilent Click Here to Email theqissilent Send a private message to theqissilent Click to send theqissilent an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:

Correct I wasn't, only time I'll even consider completely throwing a game is if I can afford to, which happens rarely, then again so does playing against kids that young.

TBH though if I was in your spot, and had already won the 1st 3, and was already ahead on prizes, I would have tried my hardest to set it up so she would have won, the excitment she would have felt would have been worth it, again IMHO.

looking back, I wish I would have. The shame I felt afterwards was not worth the prizes. I really wish they had let me switch to a more interactive deck.

Players with bad hygiene...ugh. It is so disgusting and awkward and happens more than it should. You almost want to say something, but I don't want to be a butt that does it. Like "pro tip: deoderant and soap will help you make friends."

marlo213
posted January 15, 2013 11:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lord Crovax:

looking back, I wish I would have. The shame I felt afterwards was not worth the prizes. I really wish they had let me switch to a more interactive deck.

Players with bad hygiene...ugh. It is so disgusting and awkward and happens more than it should. You almost want to say something, but I don't want to be a butt that does it. Like "pro tip: deoderant and soap will help you make friends."

[/QUOTE]

Don't feel too bad, I have seen kids mop the floor with adults. There was this one time where I think a dude came back from a long hiatus and he just bought a box and made a standard deck with the box (I think this was lorwyn). So he played against this little kid (maybe 9?) that we all helped out earlier through out the weeks and this kid just ripped him a new one in round 1. The dude felt real bad afterwards and just dropped out of the tournament and played casual for the rest of the day.

It works both ways, and don't even get me started with how little kids try to rip people off in trades...

theqissilent
posted January 15, 2013 12:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for theqissilent Click Here to Email theqissilent Send a private message to theqissilent Click to send theqissilent an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have seen this as well. As for kids and trading, I have little experience. My 13 year old brother has been playing since he was 8. I take him to draft every saturday and he has yet to go under .500. So proud of him when schools people!

2austin5
posted January 15, 2013 12:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
I was playing against a UG infect deck (that wasn't what you normally expect, it wasn't aggro but an attempt at control) but I was playing UB control. The first game was a blowout in my favor and the second game he got so mana screwed then flooded that I was able to drop a turn 2 reassembling skeleton and swing 20 times for the win. I stopped dropping lands after 5 because I felt bad he got so screwed and I hate beating people due to a mana screw so this was just overkill on making me feel bad

MasterWolf
posted January 15, 2013 01:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
OP, you don't make any sense.

1) You feel shame by mercilessly crushing children.
2) But not enough shame to entertain the idea of losing $10 or slow-playing your opponent.
3) You enter a tourney with the express purpose of winning as much money as quickly as possible.
4) Then you feel bad when you do precisely that.

theqissilent
posted January 15, 2013 02:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for theqissilent Click Here to Email theqissilent Send a private message to theqissilent Click to send theqissilent an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I can't slow roll the deck. It either wins quickly or loses.
It was a regretable event. At the time I found ways to justify rolling the child, but her tears got to me. By far one of my worst mtg experiences.

ryan2754
posted January 15, 2013 02:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
quote:

+100000000. It really is ridiculous at times. One day I played a guy - it was almost as bad at the smell in the autopsy suite.

(68 behind souladvocate)
2nd in Posts [7801] in OH-IO
(only 300 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League