Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Favorite artwork/artist/card in MTG? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Favorite artwork/artist/card in MTG?
pgrieco
posted February 27, 2014 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for pgrieco Click Here to Email pgrieco Send a private message to pgrieco Click to send pgrieco an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View pgrieco's Have/Want ListView pgrieco's Have/Want List
Curious to see what people's favorite card arts are from magic (as I'm sure there's a lot of good art that I'm not familiar with), and favorite cards/artists in general. Personally, my favorite artwork is Slave of Bolas, with my favorite card being Lifeline. I can't say I have an artist I favor more than any other, though.

paragondave
posted February 27, 2014 10:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Anything by RKF or Brom.

jbark
posted February 28, 2014 02:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Heartbeat of spring.

stinkinogre
posted February 28, 2014 03:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stinkinogre Click Here to Email stinkinogre Send a private message to stinkinogre Click to send stinkinogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
rebecca guay oversized serra angel card that came with the homelands comic. why they never had her do more comics is a shame.

stab107
posted February 28, 2014 04:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Slave of Bolas has been my desktop background for years, amazing art.

I am a big fan of Word of Command, as simple as it is.

My pet card is Skill Borrower. It would be fantastic to own the original art or an uncut foil sheet from SOA.

CoupDeGrace
posted February 28, 2014 04:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Vesuvan Doppelganger

Basically old art > new art somehow..

[Edited 1 times, lastly by CoupDeGrace on February 28, 2014]

MeddlingMage
posted February 28, 2014 04:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
Anything by RKF or Brom.

This.
Especially RKF. Pillage was always a favorite of mine.

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

Pail42
posted February 28, 2014 10:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoupDeGrace:
Basically old art > new art somehow..

Depends on what you mean by "old" it seems to me magic has gone through a few periods:

A lot of the early painting are very good and some are exceptionally terrible. In general though the new style is more consistently good, but I think it gives less chances for really exceptional pieces to arise.

I really hope we don't go back to the art style that led to Boros Swiftblade. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=83588

Zachstax888
posted February 28, 2014 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zachstax888 Send a private message to Zachstax888 Click to send Zachstax888 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zachstax888's Have/Want ListView Zachstax888's Have/Want List
It's not a common pick, but my all time favorite is "Painter's Servant" from Shadowmoor.

I love scarecrows and Dringenberg really nailed this one. He's also a fantastic non-mtg artist and his style is very unique.

Also helps that I love the flavor text... I could go on and on forever, but I'll spare you the drooping eyelids

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Zachstax888 on February 28, 2014]

keywacat
posted February 28, 2014 12:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
Depends on what you mean by "old" it seems to me magic has gone through a few periods:

A lot of the early painting are very good and some are exceptionally terrible. In general though the new style is more consistently good, but I think it gives less chances for really exceptional pieces to arise.

I really hope we don't go back to the art style that led to Boros Swiftblade. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=83588

It's better than anything by Justin Hampton.

Pail42
posted February 28, 2014 01:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Flame Spirit is far better, but I agree most of his art is cringe worthy and in the same comic-strip style.

I know this may not be his fault, but WTF does the art in Juxtapose even have to do with the card?

KIP_NZ
posted February 28, 2014 06:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have an EDH deck of all Foglio art, does that give a clue to who is my fav?

http://vps.kmconsulting.co.nz/adrian/mtg/EDH.txt

chapman24
posted February 28, 2014 09:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chapman24 Click Here to Email chapman24 Send a private message to chapman24 Click to send chapman24 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chapman24's Have/Want ListView chapman24's Have/Want List
I really like some of the original artists, but my favorite is Ron Spencer, card is Bloodfire Dwarf, so amazing as a foil

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=26806

stab107
posted February 28, 2014 10:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:
I have an EDH deck of all Foglio art, does that give a clue to who is my fav?

http://vps.kmconsulting.co.nz/adrian/mtg/EDH.txt

I need to see a picture of this. Claymore J Flapdoodle is a boss!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by stab107 on February 28, 2014]

MagicPatty
posted March 01, 2014 06:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
basically anything painted > computer generated art

The old dull colored paintings were cool and had charm. No offense to the poster above, but cards like Bloodfire Dwarf just have a comic book, super colorful, lustrous, vibrant feel to them... no mysticism. Like... there is no denying that the new Elspeth has more detail and looks like it took a lot more time to make than something like Stasis, Season of the Witch or Guardian Beast, but the old art leaves something to the imagination.

For that matter, if we actually think about our cards battling it out in fantasy land, it gets dumb... seems every random soldier or knight card is a chick. Knight Exemplar, Knight of the Reliquary, Order of the Sacred Torch, Order of the White Shield, Isperia's Skywatch, Wrens Run anything, most of the vampires, Somberwald Sage, Stoneforge Mystic, etc. etc. etc. So a battlefield that we create is scantily clad women fighting grotesque monsters. So what's the big deal, it's a fantasy game that a male demo buys. I get that, but it's just funny to picture the artist making these works like stepping back, turning their head sideways and looking at the art, then with a saliva-consumed lisp talk to themselves and say "I am now going to make your breast plate even bigger tee hee"

Hehe, ridicule away... I'm not passionate about this, just think its kinda funny.

KIP_NZ
posted March 01, 2014 12:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
I need to see a picture of this. Claymore J Flapdoodle is a boss!

It's not quite finished yet, need 2 more cards (Got the portal prosperity yesterday!)

I'll post pics when complete. Ramirez DePietro is the general.

ryan2754
posted March 01, 2014 07:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
Morphling by RK Post

Met him at the Time Spiral Prerelease in Indianapolis back in the day - he actually did it by hand before computer generation took off.

(87 behind souladvocate)
1st in Posts in OH-IO
(Passed the legendary ValMTG)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place" - Rick Pitin

KIP_NZ
posted March 01, 2014 09:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ryan2754:
Morphling by RK Post

Met him at the Time Spiral Prerelease in Indianapolis back in the day - he actually did it by hand before computer generation took off.

Man you're going to make me go find my altered by him to give it wings one and post a pic aren't you?

Scuderia88
posted March 03, 2014 05:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Scuderia88 Click Here to Email Scuderia88 Send a private message to Scuderia88 Click to send Scuderia88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Doomsday Specter.

mnDiff
posted March 03, 2014 06:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mnDiff Click Here to Email mnDiff Send a private message to mnDiff Click to send mnDiff an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Melissa Benson since day 1 but more specifically : Planar Gate / Shivan Dragon and such styles ....

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mnDiff on March 03, 2014]

paragondave
posted March 03, 2014 09:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:
Man you're going to make me go find my altered by him to give it wings one and post a pic aren't you?

yes please.

implode
posted March 03, 2014 09:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I really love Thunder Spirit art, feels very iconic to me even if most people wouldn't. Think given choice of what card I would love the art for I would choose that one.

Another favorite is Doppleganger...

Bagbokk
posted March 03, 2014 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Have/Want ListView Bagbokk's Have/Want List
damnation

wtb original art, or even just a print.

pgrieco
posted March 04, 2014 07:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for pgrieco Click Here to Email pgrieco Send a private message to pgrieco Click to send pgrieco an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View pgrieco's Have/Want ListView pgrieco's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bagbokk:
damnation

wtb original art, or even just a print.

If you really want it, your best bet would probably be to ask Kev Walker about buying one. Best bet would probably be via his Facebook page.

LandDestroyer
posted March 04, 2014 08:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
John Avon, especially his lands. If you have any you don't want feel free to dump them off at my house.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League