Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Vanishing 3-Card Blind Tournament, Round 7

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Vanishing 3-Card Blind Tournament, Round 7
yakusoku
posted December 28, 2012 11:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
3-Card Blind (3CB) is a very unique game.
The rules are as follows:
* Your deck is composed of 3 cards, all of which start in your hand.
* You have no library (technically, the library exists, but starts at 0 cards) and no sideboard (Wishes fetch nothing).
* Random effects always go against the owner of the card.
* You can see your opponent's hand, so you can always make the best possible play.
* You don't lose as a result of not being able to draw a card.
* You will play each opponent twice, once going first, once going second.
* For each win, you score 3.
* For each draw, you score 1.
* For each loss, you get nothing.
* A subgame played with the card Shahrazad will result in an incomplete game and both players will receive ZERO points, since the main game cannot be resumed. Neither player loses or draws, so neither player earns any points.
* Other than the aforementioned, EVERYTHING IS HANDLED EXACTLY LIKE A REAL GAME OF MAGIC!
Remember, it is important for your deck to include a way to cast your cards! (Lands, artifact mana, pitch cards, etc.)
If you want to play PM me a message in this format.
Subject should include "Vanishing 3-Card Blind" (Just click on the little PM icon above my post and it should work out that way.)
Card #1
Card #2
Card #3

Be sure you really are happy with your deck before you submit. Once you send in a deck, there is no changing it except in the case of an illegal entry.
Please make every effort to spell your card names correctly. It makes it easier for everyone. Thanks.
The "Vanishing" part is the twist. To start off with, only Unglued, Unhinged and Ante cards are banned. After each round, the 3 cards in the winning deck plus any cards in more than 1/3 of the decks played will be banned for all future rounds. Any lands that only provide mana are exempted from the banning rules.

--------------Current banned list--------------

White:
Entreat the Angels
Keening Apparition

Blue:

Laboratory Maniac
Memory's Journey

Black:

Appetite for Brains
Duress
Sever the Bloodline

Red:

Bonfire of the Damned
Devil's Play

Green:

Daybreak Ranger
Mayor of Avabruck
Wolfbitten Captive

Multicolored:

Abrupt Decay
Detention Sphere
Dreadbore
Geist of Saint Traft
Izzet Charm
Sigarda, Host of Herons

Artifacts:
Elixir of Immortality

Banned Decks (History)

Round 1: s14sh3r

Duress
Izzet Charm
Laboratory Maniac

Round 2: tritoch

Abrupt Decay
Appetite for Brains
Sigarda, Host of Herons

Round 3: tritoch

Elixir of Immortality
Detention Sphere
Bonfire of the Damned

Round 4: junichi

Wolfbitten Captive
Mayor of Avabruck
Daybreak Ranger

Round 5: bushe

Keening Apparition
Geist of Saint Traft
Devil's Play

Round 6: bushe

Dreadbore
Entreat the Angels
Memory's Journey

--------------End of Banning list--------------

I will try and post a new round every Sunday, allow submissions through Tuesday, reveal deck lists first thing on Wednesday and allow scoring until Saturday.

NO MISE DECKS!

Any deck submitted MUST have some win condition. Any deck that can do no better than a draw against any possible deck will be rejected. A deck that can't win any game is mathematically eliminated from winning the round, and thus would just be taking a chance to win away from someone who could actually have a shot.

ALL players will assist in judging. The way this will work is that after the submission period is over, After all decks are revealed, judge your own deck against every other deck (going first and going second). Post your findings here in this thread. They will be reviewed by everyone for accuracy. Once a winner is determined the winners deck will be added to the banned list and the next round will begin. Repeated failure to do your own scoring will result in suspensions!

Edit to add:

1) We will only be using cards from Standard. I know some veterans of the game will gripe and say that Standard is awful in general and worse when you can only use three cards, and you won't get to use your broken decks like Black Lotus, Black Vise, Balance. However, the smaller card pool is less intimidating to newer players and less mental strain to us all. We can change the format soon.

2) Instead of the normal 40+ weeks that I normally try to drag out the tournament, with no clear winner until our numbers diminish into nothing, we will instead be running each round for only 10 weeks, and at the end declare a winner. If you don't like Standard, wait 10 weeks and we'll have a new format. I'd even be willing to put the next format to a popular vote (sorry, no electoral college in this game) and see what most people would like to play. There will be a clear-cut winner after 10 weeks AND the play will rotate more often than usual, so it doesn't get stale.

3) Due to the limitations of the Standard pool, I don't want to restrict everyone to boring decks like Plains, Dryad Militant, Dryad Militant versus Mountain, Pillar of Flame, Rakdos Cackler. So, instead, just for this round, there will be a major alteration of the rules:

Each turn, you may put a token land onto the battlefield on your side. This counts as your land for the turn. If a token land leaves play for any reason, it ceases to exist. The ONLY lands you may play this way are the five basic (non-Snow Covered) lands available in Standard - Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, Swamp.

You are free to play with other non-basic lands, but these will count towards your three cards in your deck if you do so.

Winner's List:

bushe
tritoch

junichi
S14sh3r

Decklists:

1. yakusoku

Lingering Souls
Vraska the Unseen
Olivia Voldaren

2. ectomanic

Pithing Needle
Nevermore
Lingering Souls

3. bushe

Intangible Virtue
Lingering Souls
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

4. junichi

Champion of the Parish
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Silverblade Paladin

[Edited 3 times, lastly by yakusoku on January 09, 2013]

ectomanic
posted January 01, 2013 07:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ectomanic Click Here to Email ectomanic Send a private message to ectomanic Click to send ectomanic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
whens deck due for this one?

yakusoku
posted January 01, 2013 09:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ectomanic:
whens deck due for this one?

Due to the holiday, I'm going to make the deadline for this round be NEXT Tuesday (January 8).

yakusoku
posted January 07, 2013 08:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you want to play, please PM me a deck.

bushe
posted January 09, 2013 06:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bushe Click Here to Email bushe Send a private message to bushe Click to send bushe an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bushe's Have/Want ListView bushe's Have/Want List
just bumping this so hopefully more people will see it

yakusoku
posted January 09, 2013 07:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The decklists have been posted.

You may use other formats as well, but this one is a must. Also PLEASE make sure you use the proper deck number for your deck. Replace the '?' on the bottom line with the number next to your name on the decklist.

Scoring:

Play your deck against each other deck twice, once with you going first, once with them going first. Always remember that each deck is to be played perfectly.

For each of the 2 games, score 3 points if your deck wins or 1 point if the game is a draw, with no points for a loss.

Some examples:
2 wins (WW) is 6 points.
A win and a draw (WD) is 4 points.
A win and a loss (WL) is 3 points.
2 draws (DD) is 2 points.
A draw and a loss (DL) is 1 point.
2 losses (LL) is 0 points.

Plug YOUR deck number into the ? below the ##, and your score against each deck into the other slots.

Do not play your deck against itself. Just enter an 'x' in the chart under your deck number.

Please copy-and-paste the following code into your Message box in order to assist you with scoring:

code:

## 1 2 3 4 TOTAL
?? 0 0 0 0 XX

MAB_Rapper
posted January 09, 2013 07:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
Wow, I totally did forget about this. Always next week.

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

junichi
posted January 09, 2013 10:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
1. yakusoku WL

Lingering Souls
Vraska the Unseen
Olivia Voldaren

Too fast for him on the play, but I am 1 turn too slow when I am on the draw.

2. ectomanic WW

Pithing Needle
Nevermore
Lingering Souls

My 3 creatures > his lingering souls.

3. bushe WW

Intangible Virtue
Lingering Souls
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

I am too fast for him on the play. On the draw, I am 1 turn too fast before he can stabilize.

4. junichi XX

Champion of the Parish
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Silverblade Paladin

code:

## 1 2 3 4 TOTAL
04 3 6 6 x 15

DO NOT send cards to Jon Strickland, 1971 St.Laurent Blvd
Apt 705, Ottawa Ontario, Canada K1G 3P8. He is a known ripper/hacker.

yakusoku
posted January 09, 2013 08:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Per the rules, Lingering Souls gets banned no matter what wins this week.

code:

## 1 2 3 4 TOTAL
01 X 2 6 3 11

1. yakusoku XX

Lingering Souls
Vraska the Unseen
Olivia Voldaren

2. ectomanic DD

Pithing Needle
Nevermore
Lingering Souls

He names Vraska with Pithing Needle and Olivia Voldaren with Nevermore and then our Spirits all trade and we stare for eternity.

3. bushe WW. His spirit tokens are bigger than mine, but Olivia trumps them with her ability and I'm able to destroy Sorin with Vraska. Eventually I'll have a better board position than him and win.

4. junichi WL. Thalia is too annoying when he's on the play, but when I'm on the play, Olivia comes in time to stop him from killing me while Lingering Souls buys me enough time to start stealing humans.

bushe
posted January 10, 2013 08:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bushe Click Here to Email bushe Send a private message to bushe Click to send bushe an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bushe's Have/Want ListView bushe's Have/Want List
code:

## 1 2 3 4 TOTAL
03 0 4 X 0 04

I believe i am LL, WD, LL

ectomanic
posted January 10, 2013 07:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ectomanic Click Here to Email ectomanic Send a private message to ectomanic Click to send ectomanic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
code:

1 2 3 4 total
2 X 1 0 3

ryan2754
posted January 10, 2013 10:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
Looks like we need some more entries. Ill be back next round.

(68 behind souladvocate)
2nd in Posts [7801] in OH-IO
(only 300 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

junichi
posted January 11, 2013 12:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by ryan2754:
Looks like we need some more entries. Ill be back next round.

Good. I can use another 6 points.

DO NOT send cards to Jon Strickland, 1971 St.Laurent Blvd
Apt 705, Ottawa Ontario, Canada K1G 3P8. He is a known ripper/hacker.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League