Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  First Grand Prix, What to expect?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   First Grand Prix, What to expect?
Skwirlnutz
posted December 29, 2012 02:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or SaleView Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or Sale
So coming up in a few months will be my first Grand Prix (Calgary) I've never been to one and was wondering what its like. How big are the average turn outs for these events? Is there artists to sign cards? if so how long are they usually there for?

Does everyone just play the event or can I expect to get some EDH games in?

The event is set for Standard, not exactly sure if I wanna play in it yet or not. Should I?

Also whats the costs for these events?

Thanks!

caquaa
posted December 29, 2012 03:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
prepping a tad early for a july GP, lol

I'd expect a turn out in the 1k area.

its up to the TO about artists, but GPs usually have 2 minimum and better TOs get more. Their schedule is always up in the air, 1-3 days of signing tho, just have to check in advance and see when they'll be there. I've been to events where you could walk up and talk w/ Mark Tedin cause he was bored and no one was in line for his booth, I've been to others where the wait was 3 hrs long.

There are always side events. With EDH becoming more popular there is likely some form of EDH event that will be there, at bare minimum I'd expect 4 man queues. You can likely find a casual pick up game if you try. Later in the day on sat is typically best to catch people just hanging out.

Dunno exactly on costs, but iirc its ~$25-35, same thing really.

Almost all of this stuff will be answered when the event info page goes up for the GP when it gets closer. Also artists don't always confirm until very close to the event, sometimes they cancel, etc, so you need to watch it for updates.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Events.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/events/schedule

Skwirlnutz
posted December 29, 2012 03:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or SaleView Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or Sale
Haha yeah, It is a little early, just excited about my first one. Got a newborn baby so yeah 6 months is perfect timing to prepare/save up!

Also is anybody on here going? Anybody wanna meet up there?

WeedIan
posted December 29, 2012 06:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Just go its alot of fun. Lots of people and lots of trading.

I went to the one in TO didn't play any magic but loaded up on cards i needed for my cube.

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

choco man
posted December 29, 2012 08:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
1. GP's are long tournaments. Even if you do well day 1 (~9 rds), you still have to play well day 2.

2. Play at highest REL and watch out for cheating.

3. Watch out for thieves.

4. Go with friends. Have fun.

Myy
posted December 29, 2012 10:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
like Choco said, they are very looong tourneys. be sure to know exactly what your opponent is doing so he doesn't cheat.

And try to make your plays very clear. You'll find yourself with many A-holes trying to get you a match loss for any little detail they can catch. Most people are pretty nice, but when they want to win they'll look for anything to try and get ahead.

Other than that have fun, and tbh, If you're doing well in the tourney, you won't have too much time for trading, playing extra games. it's very tiring. but I wish you the best of luck.

~Myy

implode
posted December 29, 2012 12:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
I've been to some Grand Prixs...

First one I played in main event and made day 2. Stayed up playing casual and trading to all hours of the night. Then wasn't with it mentally for day 2.

Second one scrubbed out day 1, got to play in some side events. Got autographs. Think I had a lot more fun with casual side of things.

Third Grand Prix was a last minute thing. showed up on a Sunday to trade. But ended up getting some good proofs from artists.

I would consider your goals beforehand, and let that dictate what you want to do. Looking back wish I had taken my first tourney more seriously. But like you, I was new to the experience. Staying up all night trading, gun slinging, and eating pizza seems righteous at the time.

Thanos
posted December 29, 2012 12:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Rk (Van Gogh) Post has a placeholder for that date, he's probably gonna be one of the artists there.

thror
posted December 29, 2012 01:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
Rk (Van Gogh) Post has a placeholder for that date, he's probably gonna be one of the artists there.

Hopefully he will be over his phallic fetish by then...

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Thanos
posted December 29, 2012 01:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thror:

He has a slight bigger problem right now..hehe

Although I did request a ****** theme for GP AC.

Edit, wow, it edits out the proper name for a women's privates?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Thanos on December 29, 2012]

MeddlingMage
posted December 29, 2012 05:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
Breasts

~MM

I'm guessing I used wrong, proper name?

New keeper of the Logout button

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MeddlingMage on December 29, 2012]

thror
posted December 29, 2012 05:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:
Breasts

~MM

I'm guessing I used wrong, proper name?

wrong body part

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

caquaa
posted December 29, 2012 08:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by thror:

when I told him to draw whatever he wanted for me I don't recall exactly what it was, but vaguely remember something involving an elephant, a monkey, and sex.... then he went on to draw some totem thing instead. Honestly think the first thing he thought up would have been funnier.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League