Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Vanishing 3-Card Blind Tournament, Round 8

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Vanishing 3-Card Blind Tournament, Round 8
yakusoku
posted January 13, 2013 05:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
3-Card Blind (3CB) is a very unique game.
The rules are as follows:
* Your deck is composed of 3 cards, all of which start in your hand.
* You have no library (technically, the library exists, but starts at 0 cards) and no sideboard (Wishes fetch nothing).
* Random effects always go against the owner of the card.
* You can see your opponent's hand, so you can always make the best possible play.
* You don't lose as a result of not being able to draw a card.
* You will play each opponent twice, once going first, once going second.
* For each win, you score 3.
* For each draw, you score 1.
* For each loss, you get nothing.
* A subgame played with the card Shahrazad will result in an incomplete game and both players will receive ZERO points, since the main game cannot be resumed. Neither player loses or draws, so neither player earns any points.
* Other than the aforementioned, EVERYTHING IS HANDLED EXACTLY LIKE A REAL GAME OF MAGIC!
Remember, it is important for your deck to include a way to cast your cards! (Lands, artifact mana, pitch cards, etc.)
If you want to play PM me a message in this format.
Subject should include "Vanishing 3-Card Blind" (Just click on the little PM icon above my post and it should work out that way.)
Card #1
Card #2
Card #3

Be sure you really are happy with your deck before you submit. Once you send in a deck, there is no changing it except in the case of an illegal entry.
Please make every effort to spell your card names correctly. It makes it easier for everyone. Thanks.
The "Vanishing" part is the twist. To start off with, only Unglued, Unhinged and Ante cards are banned. After each round, the 3 cards in the winning deck plus any cards in more than 1/3 of the decks played will be banned for all future rounds. Any lands that only provide mana are exempted from the banning rules.

--------------Current banned list--------------

White:
Champion of the Parish
Entreat the Angels
Keening Apparition
Lingering Souls
Silverblade Paladin
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Blue:

Laboratory Maniac
Memory's Journey

Black:

Appetite for Brains
Duress
Sever the Bloodline

Red:

Bonfire of the Damned
Devil's Play

Green:

Daybreak Ranger
Mayor of Avabruck
Wolfbitten Captive

Multicolored:

Abrupt Decay
Detention Sphere
Dreadbore
Geist of Saint Traft
Izzet Charm
Sigarda, Host of Herons

Artifacts:
Elixir of Immortality

Banned Decks (History)

Round 1: s14sh3r

Duress
Izzet Charm
Laboratory Maniac

Round 2: tritoch

Abrupt Decay
Appetite for Brains
Sigarda, Host of Herons

Round 3: tritoch

Elixir of Immortality
Detention Sphere
Bonfire of the Damned

Round 4: junichi

Wolfbitten Captive
Mayor of Avabruck
Daybreak Ranger

Round 5: bushe

Keening Apparition
Geist of Saint Traft
Devil's Play

Round 6: bushe

Dreadbore
Entreat the Angels
Memory's Journey

Round 7: junichi

Champion of the Parish
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Silverblade Paladin

--------------End of Banning list--------------

I will try and post a new round every Sunday, allow submissions through Tuesday, reveal deck lists first thing on Wednesday and allow scoring until Saturday.

NO MISE DECKS!

Any deck submitted MUST have some win condition. Any deck that can do no better than a draw against any possible deck will be rejected. A deck that can't win any game is mathematically eliminated from winning the round, and thus would just be taking a chance to win away from someone who could actually have a shot.

ALL players will assist in judging. The way this will work is that after the submission period is over, After all decks are revealed, judge your own deck against every other deck (going first and going second). Post your findings here in this thread. They will be reviewed by everyone for accuracy. Once a winner is determined the winners deck will be added to the banned list and the next round will begin. Repeated failure to do your own scoring will result in suspensions!

Edit to add:

1) We will only be using cards from Standard. I know some veterans of the game will gripe and say that Standard is awful in general and worse when you can only use three cards, and you won't get to use your broken decks like Black Lotus, Black Vise, Balance. However, the smaller card pool is less intimidating to newer players and less mental strain to us all. We can change the format soon.

2) Instead of the normal 40+ weeks that I normally try to drag out the tournament, with no clear winner until our numbers diminish into nothing, we will instead be running each round for only 10 weeks, and at the end declare a winner. If you don't like Standard, wait 10 weeks and we'll have a new format. I'd even be willing to put the next format to a popular vote (sorry, no electoral college in this game) and see what most people would like to play. There will be a clear-cut winner after 10 weeks AND the play will rotate more often than usual, so it doesn't get stale.

3) Due to the limitations of the Standard pool, I don't want to restrict everyone to boring decks like Plains, Dryad Militant, Dryad Militant versus Mountain, Pillar of Flame, Rakdos Cackler. So, instead, just for this round, there will be a major alteration of the rules:

Each turn, you may put a token land onto the battlefield on your side. This counts as your land for the turn. If a token land leaves play for any reason, it ceases to exist. The ONLY lands you may play this way are the five basic (non-Snow Covered) lands available in Standard - Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, Swamp.

You are free to play with other non-basic lands, but these will count towards your three cards in your deck if you do so.

Winner's List:

bushe
junichi
tritoch

S14sh3r

Decklists:

1. yakusoku

Negate
Oblivion Ring
Olivia Voldaren

2. Magic1264

Loxodon Smiter
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Gavony Township

3. ectomanic

pithing needle
nevermore
armada wurm

4. bushe

Avacyn's Pilgrim
Mind Rot
Garruk Relentless

5. junichi

Reckless Waif
Hinterland Hermit
Kruin Outlaw

6. Numotflame96

Invisible Stalker
Increasing Savagery
Oblivion Ring

[Edited 3 times, lastly by yakusoku on January 17, 2013]

yakusoku
posted January 15, 2013 02:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm going to push this out one day. Submissions by TOMORROW.

bushe
posted January 17, 2013 06:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bushe Click Here to Email bushe Send a private message to bushe Click to send bushe an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bushe's Have/Want ListView bushe's Have/Want List

yakusoku
posted January 17, 2013 07:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The decklists have been posted.

You may use other formats as well, but this one is a must. Also PLEASE make sure you use the proper deck number for your deck. Replace the '?' on the bottom line with the number next to your name on the decklist.

Scoring:

Play your deck against each other deck twice, once with you going first, once with them going first. Always remember that each deck is to be played perfectly.

For each of the 2 games, score 3 points if your deck wins or 1 point if the game is a draw, with no points for a loss.

Some examples:
2 wins (WW) is 6 points.
A win and a draw (WD) is 4 points.
A win and a loss (WL) is 3 points.
2 draws (DD) is 2 points.
A draw and a loss (DL) is 1 point.
2 losses (LL) is 0 points.

Plug YOUR deck number into the ? below the ##, and your score against each deck into the other slots.

Do not play your deck against itself. Just enter an 'x' in the chart under your deck number.

Please copy-and-paste the following code into your Message box in order to assist you with scoring:

code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 TOTAL
XX X X X X X X XX

junichi
posted January 17, 2013 10:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 TOTAL
05 3 6 3 0 X 2 14

DO NOT send cards to Jon Strickland, 1971 St.Laurent Blvd
Apt 705, Ottawa Ontario, Canada K1G 3P8. He is a known ripper/hacker.

bushe
posted January 17, 2013 11:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bushe Click Here to Email bushe Send a private message to bushe Click to send bushe an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bushe's Have/Want ListView bushe's Have/Want List
code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 TOTAL
04 3 6 6 X 6 3 24

1 yaku WL - when you are on the play you counter my mind rot and then can oliva my guys away well before I can kill you.

When I am on the play I get turn 1 elf, turn 2 rot (you discard negate and ring), turn 3 garruk + wolf. Turn 4 attack for 3 (17) + wolf. If you play olivia then garruk fights her and I win. Turn 5 attack for 5 (12) + wolf(3). Turn 6 attack for 7 (5) + wolf(4). Your turn 6 you can play olivia and kill the elf(4/4). I attack for 8 and you block 2 of it so you go to -1.

2. Magic WW
When you are on the play you get a turn 2 smiter + pilgrim vs my pilgrim. your turn 3 you attack me (15). My turn 3 I attack you (19). Your turn 4 you activate township and attack (10). My turn 4 I play garruk and fight your pilgrim(1 counter on garruk). You attack and I chump block. Then garruk starts making deathtouch wolves and I win eventually.

3 ectomaniac WW
If you want to keep the wurm you have to discard both of your other cards to the rot (otherwise you lose to pilgrim). So I play pilgrim, rot, garruk and use garruk to fight my pilgrim so then I can make deathtouch wolves for when your wurm comes out that will trade with both halves and leave me with 1-2 wolves left to win with.

4 bushe XX

5 junichi WW
I can clog up enough of the board and make you discard the outlaw so that I win inevitably.

6 Numot WL
You have to keep stalker as your card when I mind rot. So you have that in play on 2 when I play garruk on 3 and make a wolf. You attack me then Garruk wins on turn 7 when you could cast savagery but I will be at 15 so you can only take me to 4. So if you attack garruk until you get savagery then you attack me to 7 on your turn 7 with your life at 8. Then I attack for 6 but you kill me one turn too soon.

yakusoku
posted January 20, 2013 09:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Please finish up scoring today, everyone.

Here's mine:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 TOTAL
01 X 6 0 3 3 0 12

1. yakusoku XX

Negate
Oblivion Ring
Olivia Voldaren

2. Magic1264 WW. I O Ring the Smiter, play Olivia and kill or steal his Pilgrim.

3. ectomanic LL. Pithing Needle names Olivia. I can Negate the Nevermore (which would name Oblivion Ring), but doing so means I have to wait and not tap out when I cast Olivia. That means waiting until turn 6 and while I can O. Ring one wurm, the other is still there and easily races me.

4. bushe WL. I can stop Mind Rot on the play, not when he's on the play.

5. junichi WL. On the play, I can O. Ring the Hinterland Hermit, and get Olivia in play and respond to Outlaw's trigger by shooting her twice, which buffs Olivia enough to stop the attacks, then I can steal Waif and win. On the draw, he's too fast and I lose to a nice curved out draw, while I do nothing for my first two turns but watch his guys get big and beat me down.

6. Numotflame96 LL. I save Negate for Increasing Savagery, Oblivion Ring his Oblivion Ring if he plays it on Olivia, but he can easily flashback the Increasing Savagery and kill me in two swings before I can race with Olivia.

Magic1264
posted January 20, 2013 09:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magic1264 Click Here to Email Magic1264 Send a private message to Magic1264 Click to send Magic1264 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 TOTAL
02 0 X 6 0 2 0 08

ectomanic
posted January 20, 2013 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ectomanic Click Here to Email ectomanic Send a private message to ectomanic Click to send ectomanic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
code:

## 1 2 3 4 5 6 total
03 6 3 x 0 3 0 12

Scoring difference vs magic

On play i win
T1 land needle - naming township
Y1 land pilgrim
T2 land
Y2 land smiter
T3 land
Y3 attack with both im at 15
T4 land
Y4 attack im at 10
T5 land
Y5 attack im at 5
T6 land play wurm
Y6 if you attack i block and kill your creatures
T7 attack with 1 wurm - you can team block and kill it but lose both your creatures with me having another wurm left.
Y7 with me holding 1 wurm back to block can never get 5 damage through.

yakusoku
posted January 20, 2013 02:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Final scores:

code:

01 X 6 0 3 3 0 12
02 0 X 3 0 2 0 05
03 6 3 x 0 3 0 12
04 3 6 6 X 6 3 24 <- winner!
05 3 6 3 0 X 2 14
06 6 6 6 3 2 X 23

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to: